Character Dave

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 04 April 2012   #1
Character Dave

Another marodeur. The head seems too big? Especially in clothing, he looks too fragile. I did his face via combining different facial features I liked. I decided to go with bow-like legs for variety.

Last edited by mister3d : 04 April 2012 at 09:05 PM.

Old 04 April 2012   #2
Dave is cool! Looking somewhat immature for his age, and featuring the ultimate pimp look, he can get a very cool character. I especially like the nudes - greatly done drawings with a fine quality. Seeing now the guy fully equipped itís easier to say that his crotch is a tiny bit high (probably just the front, the genital area). Apropos tiny..., no i wonít comment that, but his balls could hang a bit more regarding the otherwise very relaxed state. The head isnít too big imo, the proportions canít be surprising enough when going for realism.

The clothings as already mentioned. Generally nice, except the top of his hood and the somewhat narrow sleeves. A help at your styling work could be studying runway photos, giving you ideas concerning design, cut, and also folds. Keyword "men fashion Yohji Yamamoto" to start with.

Keep it up!

Old 04 April 2012   #3
Originally Posted by zokana: Dave is cool! Looking somewhat immature for his age, and featuring the ultimate pimp look, he can get a very cool character.

Thank you for the help. Yes, there's this problem. I already made him look younger, but still there's a conflict with this look and his age.

Originally Posted by zokana: I especially like the nudes - greatly done drawings with a fine quality. Seeing now the guy fully equipped itís easier to say that his crotch is a tiny bit high (probably just the front, the genital area). Apropos tiny..., no i wonít comment that, but his balls could hang a bit more regarding the otherwise very relaxed state. The head isnít too big imo, the proportions canít be surprising enough when going for realism.

Nice points, and need fixing definitely.

Originally Posted by zokana: The clothings as already mentioned. Generally nice, except the top of his hood and the somewhat narrow sleeves. A help at your styling work could be studying runway photos, giving you ideas concerning design, cut, and also folds. Keyword "men fashion Yohji Yamamoto" to start with.

I read about this guy. He was a Japanese who was accepted at the West, wasn't he? Can't say I got much from reading about clothes though... I think I at least must care more about the silhouette. Just took a look, amazing designs! For example this http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-5gM7QaERF...ji+yamamoto.jpg anyone of them could be a perfect marodeur. I will rethink the design.

Old 04 April 2012   #4
Originally Posted by mister3d: I read about this guy. He was a Japanese who was accepted at the West, wasn't he? Can't say I got much from reading about clothes though... I think I at least must care more about the silhouette. Just took a look, amazing designs! For example this http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-5gM7QaERF...ji+yamamoto.jpg anyone of them could be a perfect marodeur. I will rethink the design.

Yamamoto was one of the most celebrated designers already decades ago. Known for getting inspired by the look of beggars and suchlike - always very interesting, and gladly copied by other designers today.

Like that photo.(Oh, look at the difference of the head sizes!) My fav is the guy at right - very multikulti!

An other great styling - the Sunday afternoon in the park look:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_nbYdNetvT...2011_Mens-1.jpg
and here a solid design of him, perhaps more the style youíre going for:
http://i4.tinypic.com/851imae.jpg

Old 04 April 2012   #5
Great drawings, cant wait to see how hes gonna look like in 3d, the hood looks abit like the KKK clan but great overall.Cheers

Old 04 April 2012   #6
Looks like this could be a great character. I just don't like how his shoulders are sticking up, both anatomically and in costume design. IMO it would fit him better if they were hanging down.

Old 10 October 2012   #7
Thanks you guys for replies and suggestions. I will take them into account!
An update.

Old 10 October 2012   #8
Amazing so far! Just a quick observation, do you feel his thighs might be a bit thick/muscular?

Old 10 October 2012   #9
How many characters are you working on?

The character looks good. Your sculpting skills keeps getting better.

You got to be careful though, as your characters started to look similar. Even without looking at the thread starter, I know this character is done by you.

The head in particular all seems to be from the same molds. Are all your characters related?

The hooked nose, the protruding chin, the frowning eyes,& the deep creased, chizelled features etc.

Like I mention in your other threads, the crease seems to be a little strong in many areas.

The chest, stomach & back looks the most natural, incidentally, the least 'creased' areas. The over refine elbow & knee areas looks overkill by comparison.

Old 10 October 2012   #10
Thank you guys!

Originally Posted by joesomerville: Amazing so far! Just a quick observation, do you feel his thighs might be a bit thick/muscular?

Yep, too much for such a guy.
Originally Posted by PKD: How many characters are you working on?

One more to follow and that's it I think for humans (at least in the nearest time).
Originally Posted by PKD:
[QUOTE=PKD]
You got to be careful though, as your characters started to look similar. Even without looking at the thread starter, I know this character is done by you.

The head in particular all seems to be from the same molds. Are all your characters related?

The hooked nose, the protruding chin, the frowning eyes,& the deep creased, chizelled features etc.

Like I mention in your other threads, the crease seems to be a little strong in many areas.

The chest, stomach & back looks the most natural, incidentally, the least 'creased' areas. The over refine elbow & knee areas looks overkill by comparison.

I see what you mean, and I know the reason. I took the Yastreb model and modified, that's why perhaps it's so similar in many aspects. of course ideally you should start from scratch, but it takes too much time for such things as palms, ears and foot areas, which are quite similar in structure, and you can modify them later. I felt this block right after I modeled my first male Peter, when I started modeling Yastreb back and saw I stuck with schematic construction I studied. So it's a problem and I'm very glad you outlined it. Perhaps I'm also inclined making similar creases which look "cool" to my inner vision, and I can see what you mean. I will try to make it more unique.
The other points are also very good, thank you!

Last edited by mister3d : 10 October 2012 at 03:05 PM.

Old 10 October 2012   #11
Fantastic work, mister3d! Really! Especially his back is top! The face is good, but perhaps not the same quality yet... cheek bones look somewhat weak in side view, regarding the strong shape of the nose, and the mouth is rather small (iíve the impression that youíre tending to give your characters a long chin ) And fingers are much too short imo!(except thumbs)

Man, youíre getting better and better!

Old 10 October 2012   #12
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by zokana: Fantastic work, mister3d! Really! Especially his back is top! The face is good, but perhaps not the same quality yet... cheek bones look somewhat weak in side view, regarding the strong shape of the nose, and the mouth is rather small (iíve the impression that youíre tending to give your characters a long chin ) And fingers are much too short imo!(except thumbs)

Man, youíre getting better and better!

Thanks Zoltan. As usual, good points you make.

Old 10 October 2012   #13
Originally Posted by mister3d: Thank you guys!

Yep, too much for such a guy.

One more to follow and that's it I think for humans (at least in the nearest time).
[QUOTE=PKD]

I see what you mean, and I know the reason. I took the Yastreb model and modified, that's why perhaps it's so similar in many aspects. of course ideally you should start from scratch, but it takes too much time for such things as palms, ears and foot areas, which are quite similar in structure, and you can modify them later. I felt this block right after I modeled my first male Peter, when I started modeling Yastreb back and saw I stuck with schematic construction I studied. So it's a problem and I'm very glad you outlined it. Perhaps I'm also inclined making similar creases which look "cool" to my inner vision, and I can see what you mean. I will try to make it more unique.
The other points are also very good, thank you!

It is ok to make use of the same model to modify to make new ones. Most people do this, include myself. But you can still make unique faces & body from the same base model.

I believe the problem you have is that you modify from the high res version of the character, which are harder to make big changes, without deforming the face. maybe you can go down in the poly detail level & refine from there. Thats what I usually do.

As for the body, I think its not a big deal to make subtle changes (shorter, taller, slimer etc), since body do not really have to be unique, except the proportion.

Anyway, I have a confession to make, I have never complete a male CG model. I do draw & paint a lot of male characters, much more than females one (especially in my school days, when I like to make a lots of fan art), & I like to draw cartoon version of myself, but I just never feel like making a male CG model. Hard to explain.

Old 10 October 2012   #14
Originally Posted by PKD: It is ok to make use of the same model to modify to make new ones. Most people do this, include myself. But you can still make unique faces & body from the same base model.

I believe the problem you have is that you modify from the high res version of the character, which are harder to make big changes, without deforming the face. maybe you can go down in the poly detail level & refine from there. Thats what I usually do.
As for the body, I think its not a big deal to make subtle changes (shorter, taller, slimer etc), since body do not really have to be unique, except the proportion.

I compared the characters, and I think it's Yastreb which looks similar but not others. Maybe I'm wrong? With this one I can see what you mean, I think it's a matter of comparison, and people made good points including you. I'm fully aware of this problem, as I saw the same when someone works from the same mesh, and it looks kind of similar.
Originally Posted by PKD: Anyway, I have a confession to make, I have never complete a male CG model. I do draw & paint a lot of male characters, much more than females one (especially in my school days, when I like to make a lots of fan art), & I like to draw cartoon version of myself, but I just never feel like making a male CG model. Hard to explain.

It's not that I'm in love with male models, but initially I planned a short movie, and there were 2 more character modelers, so we had 7-8 characters and it was fine. But then we didn't have enough knowledge, people got bored of slow progress and went working full-time, as they needed money. I knew it could happen like this, but I didn't want to drop it all. Especially since it's a good opportunity to build a portfolio and I planned it the way so they are all a bit different. I doubt I would model so much, but it's interesting, as finally one day I might finish the short.

Old 10 October 2012   #15
Originally Posted by mister3d: I compared the characters, and I think it's Yastreb which looks similar but not others. Maybe I'm wrong? With this one I can see what you mean, I think it's a matter of comparison, and people made good points including you. I'm fully aware of this problem, as I saw the same when someone works from the same mesh, and it looks kind of similar.

It's not that I'm in love with male models, but initially I planned a short movie, and there were 2 more character modelers, so we had 7-8 characters and it was fine. But then we didn't have enough knowledge, people got bored of slow progress and went working full-time, as they needed money. I knew it could happen like this, but I didn't want to drop it all. Especially since it's a good opportunity to build a portfolio and I planned it the way so they are all a bit different. I doubt I would model so much, but it's interesting, as finally one day I might finish the short.

Its not easy to make an animation with more realistic human characters. hence most 3D movies are made with more cartoony characters I suppose. It just required a lot lot more work.

Maybe its just Yastreb, but I think you have a fat dude, I remember him looking alike as well, but I could be wrong. Anyway, its not uncommon to have a artist that have very similar models. Wasn't almost all FF lead female characters look alike.

Not sure about the job opportunities in Ukraine as a CG artist, but I think you should have no problem getting a job as a modeler with what I seen so far from you.

Last edited by PKD : 10 October 2012 at 07:08 PM.

Thread Closed share thread