"Session" Character WIP

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 03 March 2012   #1
Urban Graffiti Artist "Session"

Hey everyone, my names Skooter, I'm a character modeler in Vancouver BC.
I'm updating my portfolio in hopes of improving my chances in finding a job.

I'm currently working on a character I've developed and improved continually ever since I started out in 3D. His name is Session, I know it's an odd name but it just kinda stuck. In short he's an urban dweller who tends to vandalize property with graffiti and street art. He's also a fairly inventive and intelligent individual and often crafts tools to help him out with his juvenile delinquency. Often has a run in with police and tends to be a nimble escape artist, always able to out run and evade capture.

I'll be posting more WIP shots of my progress with him and look forward to any feedback and critique you guys are willing to offer me.

Cheers.

www.scottphillips.ca
LinkedIn

Last edited by Skooter : 07 July 2013 at 06:05 AM.

Old 03 March 2012   #2
Looks promising. I like the concept! Keep it up.

Old 03 March 2012   #3
Thanks bud! More progress was made on the hoodie and I'm hoping to start detailing the shoes tomorrow. I'll post new screens soon.

www.scottphillips.ca
LinkedIn

Old 03 March 2012   #4
Small update.
Shirt and hoodie have been greyblocked, I'll be bringing it into Zbrush soon for detailing.
Might tweak the hoodies shape a bit, not entirely sold on it just yet.

Ultimately I'm aiming for an exaggerated style but with realistic details and texturing. If you guys have suggestions on what I could do to help express that please feel free to share your ideas.

Also started blocking out the shoe, going for a simple sneaker. I'll also be adding a backpack soon. Let me know what you guys think!

www.scottphillips.ca
LinkedIn

Old 04 April 2012   #5
Haven't posted on here in awhile so I figured it's time for an update.
I personally like how the characters coming together. It's at that great self motivating point where you get excited on how it will turn out and want to keep working on it haha.

I'll start off with some old screenshots of the torso sculpt. Seeing as he wears clothes they won't be seen in the final stage but I figured it was good practice anyway. Never know when I might find a use for it down the road.

Finished greyblocking the hoodie and took it to Zbrush for detailing.

The backpack has been modeled out, might just start texturing it. Not sure if it needs extra work in Zbrush.

Got the shoes pretty much blocked out, I'll probably add more detail later on.

This is where the character stands as of now. Some simple texturing tests to preview the colour scheme. Main focus is to tackle the headphones then I'm pretty much moving onto to texturing.

Let me know what you guys think!

www.scottphillips.ca
LinkedIn

Old 04 April 2012   #6
Talking

Very nice. I like the character design. Keep working!

Old 07 July 2012   #7
Test Renders

Been a while since I've updated this.
I've gotten a good chunk of the texturing done, aside from a few items and minor detailing I want to do.
Below are some test renders of items I've completed since my last update.

Shoes are nice and dirty looking with faint paint stains.
I definitely want his attire to look worn and dirty rather than spotless and new.
Small detail I think will help the overall look.

Some minor details added to the hoodie including pull strings and a zipper.

Spent a decent time playing around with different eye looks, I think I'm pleased with what I've gotten so far.
I'm considering modeling some eyelids to house the eyeballs a bit more naturally.

Front view

3/4 view

Still wanting to get the skin shade to more of a palish blue grey like the original concept.
Who knows I might opt for a more reptilian yellow hue like I have here.
What do you guys think would look better? Let me know your thoughts on it.
Any comments or critique are greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

www.scottphillips.ca
LinkedIn

Old 07 July 2013   #8
Good lord, four days away from being a solid 12 months since my last post haha.

Bit of an update as to what I've been doing. I recently worked at a mobile game studio where I was given the privilege to design and conceptualize most of their characters. The studio unfortunately closed due to financial troubles and I have since been laid off. But my experience there really toned down the self doubt I seem to have with my work. As such I've come to realize I could have a fair amount to offer if I simply put my doubt and expectations aside and simply give it my full effort.

In short, I'm bumping this thread as a means to keep myself in check and ensure I update this character. I have come up with a few changes for the back pack and would like to tweak the sculpting I did for his clothing. I don't have much in terms of 3D progress so for now I'll post a reworked conceptual design I've been working on.

More updates to come.
Cheers.

www.scottphillips.ca
LinkedIn

Old 07 July 2013   #9
Quick update on some tweaks I made during the weekend.

Tweaked the shape and size of the shoes, they were looking a little too clownish.

Additional modeling on the backpack. I started on the magnetic locks that will be attached to the bottom of the backpack. These locks detach and can be used to magnetically stick to metal objects. Session can then use them for climbing up to high out of reach areas.

Also decided to add an extra strap going across his torso. Makes sense to have the pack strapped on more securely what with all the climbing, running and jumping Session does.

Thanks for looking!

www.scottphillips.ca
LinkedIn

Old 07 July 2013   #10
i like it this character , is very nice
keep on & good luck

Old 07 July 2013   #11
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread