3D Satyress

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

03 March 2012
Post 3D Satyress

Hello CGSociety.
I am doing a toon style 3D Satyress for school. She's a greek legend and is supposed to be really strong but pretty at the same time. I will upload my progress. Any advice or critiques are welcome. Thank You!

This is the design.

03 March 2012
Post Modeling the Satryess

So i started off box modeling her. This is where I had Gotten.

03 March 2012
Progress

Got a little bit further. This is were I am now. I desided to model her naked and build clothes over her. I am not sure if that is the best choice or not but its really hard trying to find answers at school. they are all like " just do what you gotta do".. whats that supposed to mean?
anyways i think she is comming allong nicely.
-Vinny

03 March 2012
Nude...well.. almost.

so i'm not really sure if i should have modeled the clothes hon her or not..

08 August 2012
August update on Satyr, advice welcome.

I'm Still working on her in my spare time. I lost my computer to a BSOD this summer and haven't been able to touch her up as much as i wanted. I haven't received a lot of advice and have kind of just been figuring things out myself which has proven very stressful on my part lol.
I want a kind of flat look to it but not tooo flat.. This is what I have so far. I'm not that great in Photoshop but i'm trying. She has a rim light shader on her right now.

If anyone knows a better way to do hair that would be awesome. basically what i've done here was try to mimic a braided look by taking two hexagon planes, merging two points, and extruding the faces along a curve that I signed to a hair system, and giving it a 720 degree twist. Right now I'm trying to assign fur to the polygons to make them look like dreads, but its not looking to hot.
any help is welcome.

This is the rig so far

this is the texture

Last edited by VinnyLT : 08 August 2012 at 12:01 AM.

08 August 2012
This part of the forum is usually very quiet.

Anyway, do not be discourage.

Personally, I think you should not worry about the hair at this stage of learning.

What is the focus of this character? Modeling? Rigging, animation?

Anyway, Characters are HARD! Even more so when you try to model a fantasy character that is not strictly the proportion of a human, like what you have, because you cannot get a lot of references? I would have pick a human anatomy, & just add horn to the head or something to keep thing simple.

Anyway, some pointers. for character, unlike still objects, they must not only look right, but the polygon loops must also flow right, in order to get good animation.

There is no short of good reference on the web, you should have a look.

Anyway, this is a model I did a while back, you can have a look as reference.

For the head, you can see this as well.

When you have a good polygon topology, you will be surprise how much easier & of course easier to animate a character.

There are also many area I wanted to comment, but a good strat for you maybe is to study a bit more about proportion & anatomy. What you have actually isn't too bad for a cartoon character, but can be improve with a little more study, & maybe try some sketches.

08 August 2013
Post Satyr Progress.

Its been a while since I posted my progress. But this is where I'm currently at with my Satyress.

Last edited by VinnyLT : 08 August 2013 at 08:49 PM.

08 August 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread