PORSCHE GT3 - NURBS modeling tutorial

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

11 November 2003
you could probably send me the file.... I could take a look at it.

and as far as the wheel goes (hehe, i can't stop playing with it) I can make the tire less "bump map looking" but, it wasnt supposed to be entirely accurate, my references werent good enough for me to do that, it was just to illustrate the process.

11 November 2003
TOday, we are going to finish the front bumper and start the working on other stuff.

11 November 2003
can't wait!

11 November 2003
the damn server is down, I cant post my images, hmm. Ill keep working on it though, and then post a lot of pictures.

11 November 2003
FInally, the server is up. Here is what i got so far, including the tutorial on it too.

Ill post the progress images with a description in a few minutes.

11 November 2003
Let's start this lesson.

1.)

Create a curve with a reasonable number of spans(points).
Be very precise, make sure that there is no angle where the curve needs to be flat.

2.)

EXTRUDE the curve with distance as shown on the pic. Move the extruded surface closer to the bumper.

3.)

Select the extruded surface, then the bumper, make sure they intersect; use circular fillet (edit nurbs/fillet/circ. fillet).
TRIM (edit nurbs/trim) away the little piece selecting the big one, and hit ENTER.

4.)

Select the fillet, right click / isoparms, insert an isoparm (yellow) in the middle of the fillet (edit nurbs/insert isoparms).

Select the fillet, right click/hulls, select the very last hull, and scale it inwards a little to flatten it, and then scale it down a bit to match the blueprints, and then right click/control vertex, edit it manually to match the blueprints. No panic!

5.) http://www.vertexstudios.net/Porschetut/24.jpg

a.) Select the last isoparm, creat an offset curve (edit curves/offset curve) and move it inwards as you extrude with polygons. Dont forget to delete the history every time you use the same object for different action while it has some dependent objects.

b.) Select the same isoparm as before, then holding shift, select the curve, and use loft to close the gap.

c.) insert two isoparms for the two surfaces pretty close to the edges.

d.) connect the surfaces using attach (edit nurbs/attach surfaces).
Use blend with no insert knot.
Delete the history.

11 November 2003

Add isoparms close to the edges (3 isoparms).
THen drag them down a little to form a smooth end.
Done.

Follow the picture explanation.

========THe most important part. please read============

http://www.vertexstudios.net/Porschetut/30.jpg

11 November 2003
nice goin so far it's damn eerie, though.. I was going to do this exact same car with those exact same blueprints, in nurbs, in maya, about 5 months ago. realised i didn't know what i was doing and did the subaru impreza wrx tutorial instead

definitely keep this going, man. there are problem i have encountered frequently in nurbs that i'd love to see at least how some people solve them.

11 November 2003
this is damn cool of you (and its turning out very nicely). Good luck, and god speed.

Will the tutorial be compiled as an actual web page or will it remain on cgtalk?

11 November 2003
Quote: Originally posted by visjes
nice goin so far it's damn eerie, though.. I was going to do this exact same car with those exact same blueprints, in nurbs, in maya, about 5 months ago. realised i didn't know what i was doing and did the subaru impreza wrx tutorial instead

definitely keep this going, man. there are problem i have encountered frequently in nurbs that i'd love to see at least how some people solve them.

Sure, ill keep this going. THis is my second nurbs car, the first car can be found on that site (my signature).
I am really taking my time on this car, making sure that each and every surface is perfect, editing it using hulls mode, and trimming precisely. Matching the blueprints is one thing, but comparing it with a real-life piece is another. I always keep some ref image open to check if im on the right track.

Goon.

THanks for your comments man. THis tutorial will definately be compiled as a real tutorial. Every step will be in order, so dont worry if u cant keep track of this thread. THis car is really taking a lot of time as i have to take screenshots everytime i do something like a fillet. And i have other stuff to do, so this car is gonna take quite some time. If i had like a week of a free time, id model the whole piece. This car will come with the interior, and probably, the engine.

11 November 2003
Here is my latest piece of work. I wrote a detailed instruction on it as well. Here it is:

Ill post the instructions on how to make this part tomorrow.

Last edited by TheShaddix : 11 November 2003 at 05:53 AM.

11 November 2003
Wild. Lookin forward to it.

11 November 2003
stunning work mate! Still following the tut, and loving it/!

11 November 2003
I appreciate your comments gentlemen.
This part was pretty much of a challenge for me for i spent a lot of time trying to compare it with the real piece. Im trying to model each and every detail as good as it's in reality.

A big deal of time was spent on taking screen shots every step, and posting them into 2d.
The best thing about this whole thread is that if you follow every image and every description carefully, you can get an amazing result, unlike my other tutorial on modeling a mercedes SL, where i modeled the car, and then wrote a tutorial on it.

I apologize that i dont update the thread as often as i should for i have other business to take care of.
But usually, I spend a whole evening modeling this car.

Ill post the detailed images of how i got where i am now, so you can catch up or just explore it, which ever u prefer.

Last edited by TheShaddix : 11 November 2003 at 11:56 PM.

Thread Closed share thread