Gothic Cathedral

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

Old 06 June 2012   #31
wow. This looks promising. Can't wait to see how it turns out

Old 06 June 2012   #32
Thanks guys! I hired a 400mm lens to take some texture reference and I'm really pleased with the quality of the images. Really great start for the texturing. Here's another update with the angel pannelling updated:

There's so much detail here. Check out the HD render here.

Gothic Cathedral Work in Progress
Flickr

Last edited by TheThidMan : 06 June 2012 at 04:38 PM.

Old 06 June 2012   #33
More texturing updates (Click on the image to see the 1920x1080 versions!)

The vaulted ceiling of the crossing of the cathedral. There's still some missing texture detail for the ceiling:

Close up of the "Lantern":

Inside the "Lantern", now fully textured, but missing a few small bits of geometry (Definitely worth seeing the higher res version!):

Flickr

Last edited by TheThidMan : 06 June 2012 at 01:46 PM.

Old 06 June 2012   #34
This is a very impressive and expansive project, and seems as though you're tackling it with a steady pace. The detail present in your model and textures is awesome. Keep up the good work, and good luck!

Old 06 June 2012   #35
This is great stuff! Are you basing this on a real cathedral? My only question would be the cupola. Why the wood texture? Typically, the stone masons would build it all the way up, but there would probably be more stone on the supports heading up to that piece.

Mesh Warping in Shake Macro
The Sandbox - all CG short film from 2005

Old 06 June 2012   #36
Thanks guys! It's very encouraging to get positive feedback!

boboroshi: Yes this is based on a real cathedral- Ely Cathedral (or the crossing is. The nave, transepts and choir are just a jumble of various cathedrals.) Despite the victorian era paintjob, the arched ceiling is actually 650 years old and was made at a time when british masons didn't have the knowledge to make stone vaulted ceilings of the size and weight needed for the space, so it's entirely wood! I actually took a tour of it and went inside the structure:

The wooden support structure has been constantly patched and replaced over the past 600 years and weighs about 400 tons. To give you an idea of the scale, the angel panels are about 6 meters high, so it's a very large structure!

Flickr

Last edited by TheThidMan : 06 June 2012 at 09:37 PM.

Old 07 July 2012   #37
Started on the choir. It's modeled after the chapter house at York Minster.

And an update for the texturing of the octagon:

Flickr

Old 08 August 2012   #38
Begun modelling the choir which takes the form of a chapter house, modelled after the one at York Minster. The entrance:

Detail of the doors:

Flickr

Old 10 October 2012   #39
Transept update:

Flickr

Old 10 October 2012   #40
Thumbs up

the detail and modeling is insane. Love it.

Old 10 October 2012   #41
Details are insane. Did you make the paintings on wall & windows yourself. Thats worthy of complete project by itself!

Old 10 October 2012   #42
Truly inspiring work this mate!

There is real beauty in doing a project the right way, you without doubt are doing this architecture justice by getting in all the little details. Will really enjoy watching this thread evolve now.

Old 10 October 2012   #43
Originally Posted by GMG: Truly inspiring work this mate!

There is real beauty in doing a project the right way, you without doubt are doing this architecture justice by getting in all the little details. Will really enjoy watching this thread evolve now.

there are some great talent here, that is for sure. Its great Artists like TheThidMan that reminds me again why I am still hanging around here at CGtalk WIP session.

Watching CG masters work in progress is so much fun that just seeing the end product at the finished galleries.

And I was thinking of 'cheating' (like make simple geometry & use DOF blurring) in making my very simple Victorian house for my current project. After looking at this, I feel so ashamed of myself with such thought. So now, I will instead make a detail model of the Victoria style house.

Old 10 October 2012   #44
Wow thanks for the response guys! I really appreciate it. It provides huge encouragement to maintain the details on a project like this when you get such great feedback.

Keiyentai: Thanks mate!

PKD: I'm afraid not! I hired a telephoto lens and went to Ely Cathedral to take the texture photos. A little cleaning up in photoshop was needed and a lot of mapping, but otherwise they're pretty much exactly the same as in Ely.

GMG: Thanks a lot! I love medieval gothic architecture and it's the most fun to model. Huge amounts of symmetry in the architecture do lessen the workload a bit

Here's another update on the current progress. We're looking down the nave towards the crossing and on towards the choir/chapter house. There's still a lot of holes in the building because I haven't modelled the exterior yet. Click the image for the full 1920x1080 version!

Flickr

Old 01 January 2013   #45
Progressing very slowly on this! Really hard to find the time to work on this. Anyways. Update on the Nave entrance tower, modelled after parts of Reims cathedral:

Flickr

reply share thread