RoboCop Concept

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01 January 2012   #1
RoboCop Concept

Hi everyone,

I found this concept of RoboCop on the internet and I thought it might be a good subject for improving my 3D skills.



By the way, I don't know who's the artist; If anyone knows please let me know.

I also wanted to improve a bit of my drawing skills, so I drew him from front and side views:



I'm planing to star with a base mesh and model the armor above it.

I'll appreciate any comments and critiques about my drawing, it's my first character sheet

Thanks!
 
Old 01 January 2012   #2
OK, I'm using 3ds Max and here's my base mesh so far:



btw, I used this image as my anatomy reference:

 
Old 01 January 2012   #3
Wow, really nice concept.
I believe that your result will be great too
 
Old 01 January 2012   #4
Well to start with this a great concept, though a little influenced by Iron Man I think. This something I had thought about doing so I will be watching this one but will this be a sculpted model with no rigging or a function one (the reason I ask is the model is not t-posed)
 
Old 01 January 2012   #5
Originally Posted by Artdigital: Well to start with this a great concept, though a little influenced by Iron Man I think. This something I had thought about doing so I will be watching this one but will this be a sculpted model with no rigging or a function one (the reason I ask is the model is not t-posed)

I'm thinking of modeling it in high poly and then modeling it in low poly as a game model.
I got help from a tutorial about modeling the base mesh for sculpting, I didn't know the pose makes any difference.

So I should give it a T-pose, right?
 
Old 01 January 2012   #6
Originally Posted by Rebro: Wow, really nice concept.
I believe that your result will be great too

Thanks! I hope so
 
Old 01 January 2012   #7
Originally Posted by keyan3d: Hi everyone,

I found this concept of RoboCop on the internet and I thought it might be a good subject for improving my 3D skills.
By the way, I don't know who's the artist; If anyone knows please let me know.


Come on, do a simple search!
Idunno--start with the obvious key words, robocop concept art

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sh...ad.php?t=190255
__________________

Last edited by Quadart : 01 January 2012 at 01:10 PM.
 
Old 01 January 2012   #8
The concept is improvable. The rotation of the thighs is already a bit questionable (no space to turn the iron) and the rotation of the upper arms is more than questionable. That right elbow is broken on the very first picture (tries to imply that that boxy upper arm was rotated now, but doesn’t really follow the original elbow design). Seemingly all Robocop pictures on the website (linked by Quadart) are mainly painted. Needing perhaps some constructional reconsiderations.
 
Old 01 January 2012   #9
Originally Posted by Quadart: Come on, do a simple search!
Idunno--start with the obvious key words, robocop concept art

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sh...ad.php?t=190255

Thanks, I wonder why I didn't do it already
I sent him an email.
 
Old 01 January 2012   #10
Originally Posted by zokana: The concept is improvable. The rotation of the thighs is already a bit questionable (no space to turn the iron) and the rotation of the upper arms is more than questionable. That right elbow is broken on the very first picture (tries to imply that that boxy upper arm was rotated now, but doesn’t really follow the original elbow design). Seemingly all Robocop pictures on the website (linked by Quadart) are mainly painted. Needing perhaps some constructional reconsiderations.

Yeah I also noticed about the upper arm, I thought I could fix'em while modeling in 3D...
 
Old 01 January 2012   #11
OK I consider this as final for the base mesh:



Let me know what you think.
 
Old 01 January 2012   #12
It's not bad for a start. Try and make his chest less flat. Check this picture for an exaggerated view on what muscle goes where.

Also check the hands, try not to make the ends of the fingers sharp and thin, they stay about the same size from start to end.
 
Old 01 January 2012   #13
Jason Hazelroth is the concept artist for this redesign of RoboCop:
His G+ Profile

I also made a little touch ups on the base mesh in zbrush (with 1 division) and exported it back to 3ds max:



I'll use this body mostly as a guide for modeling the robotic parts.
 
Old 01 January 2012   #14
I started with the leg, here's a little progress:



it's not that much but I liked to show the method I'm using.

I'll appreciate any comments and critiques. Thanks!
 
Old 01 January 2012   #15
A little more progress.. I think the armor part of the ankle is complete:

 
Thread Closed share thread



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
CGSociety
Society of Digital Artists
www.cgsociety.org

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2006,
Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Minimize Ads
Forum Jump
Miscellaneous

All times are GMT. The time now is 08:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.