redbranch
Redbranch

portfolio
Toby Hynes
Lead Artist: Characters & Weapons
Codemasters
Banbury, United Kingdom

Cthulhu wip

Something I’m working on in the little spare time I have. I haven't posted anything on this for a little while. The base mesh was built in Max and sculpted up in Mud.
Cthulhu was described by HP Lovecraft variously as “...an octopus, a dragon, and a human caricature.... A pulpy, tentacled head surmounted a grotesque scaly body with rudimentary wings”
I added the Triceratops mantle to add a bit of prehistoric majesty.
Hopefully I’ll get time to finish him/it soon

red

Old 01-05-2012, 05:00 PM   #2
tobbew
Know-it-All
Torbjörn
Sweden

Nice sculpt. I personally don't like the tall thing on his forehead, probably the triceratops thing you refer too. The main thing with it is that I think it does not match in style with the rest of the creature (which I think looks great). If keeping it I think I'd try a closer attachment angle, and perhaps more of a V-shape both in end shape and top contour (starting from the upper insertion end). With its current shape it would not protect the head very well anyway. (I'm trying to imagine how it would look in a pose getting at me with the tentacles and get me to the mouth and I guess my problem here is that currently there is a line between the head and tusks which highly differs from the onewith that plate on his forehead). Perhaps it would look great, and it's just me having problem picturing how you imagine the head looking in such a pose.

Old 01-06-2012, 04:38 PM   #3
Jolan
portfolio
Adrien Ray
Carouge, Switzerland

Nice work. I do agree with the other post. The straight forehead part is strange. Maybe you can try to do something more organic not only in the surface sculpting but in the general volume as well

Old 06-25-2012, 09:57 PM   #4
redbranch
Redbranch

portfolio
Toby Hynes
Codemasters
Banbury, United Kingdom

It's been a while, but here's the latest.
Tentacles are finished complete with several hundred sculpted suckers.

I've also been working away on the tertiary detail. Lovecraft describes '.....a grotesque scaly body' so I went to town. All adds to the sense of scale. Colours to follow, but what colours?

Old 07-11-2012, 11:28 AM   #5
redbranch
Redbranch

portfolio
Toby Hynes
Codemasters
Banbury, United Kingdom

Here's a pic of the work in progress textures. I was trying various colour schemes and wanted to avoid going for something dull. I felt it needed some green in there, but I'd also read that red is very hard to see in deep water so I thought it might be interesting to try this lurid pinky red on his head and tentacles. The spec and gloss are just defined in the material at the moment. I'll be doing specific maps. I wanted to pick the scales out in a similar way to dinosaurs and lizards with the lighter tones in between where the skin is softer and the dark tones for the tougher plates. More to follow...........

Old 07-26-2012, 05:19 PM   #6
redbranch
Redbranch

portfolio
Toby Hynes
Codemasters
Banbury, United Kingdom

Textures complete

Specular maps are all done now so it's onto rigging and posing.
I'll post some more shots when I get a mo. Feedback welcome as always.

Old 07-29-2012, 05:04 PM   #7
Krissleh
portfolio
Rick Walther
Manila, Philippines

I'm really like the skin texture from the last picture. You are doing this in Mudbox?

I'm not entirely sure of the bull horns. I think I know where you are going with this, however, with the horns and the armor plate: A more physically aggressive type of take. I would probably like to see a lighter color overall on the horns, with darker fissures, possible similar to this:

I like the idea of the armor plate on the head, but it does seem less useful than it could be, to win over the aesthetic doubters. I'm thinking something lower that spreads out more to protect more of the fleshy over-sized brain area. It might visually indicate a kind of crown as well.

I did a quick draw-over of an earlier render you did to show my thoughts visually:

Looking at that, I could even imagine just adding what i've drawn to your existing mesh. Not sure, it just feels like it makes the plating more utilitarian than decorative.

Last edited by Krissleh : 07-29-2012 at 05:05 PM. Reason: formatting

Old 09-13-2012, 10:03 PM   #8
redbranch
Redbranch

portfolio
Toby Hynes
Codemasters
Banbury, United Kingdom

Test pose

Here's the low res model skinned and posed in Max. I'll be Skin wrapping the decimated hi res mesh to this.
I've also roughed out a base in the form of a non Euclidean style staircase to hint at this being R'lyeh. This will be sculpted up to look like stone, complete with oozing mud and seaweed. I've also put in some temporary fleeing humans.
Not sure whether to make the humas smaller, but I don't want to lose them altogether. I'd like it look look like he/it could still pick them up and squish them rather than them being so minute he/it wouldn't even notice them.

Last edited by redbranch : 09-13-2012 at 10:14 PM.

Old 09-26-2012, 05:17 PM   #9
redbranch
Redbranch

portfolio
Toby Hynes
Codemasters
Banbury, United Kingdom

Test render 01

Hereis an initial test render of the posed Cthulhu in Max. Just experimenting withlighting and materials. Still need to do the eyes and a bunch of other tweaks,but it's getting there. I'm also sculpting up the base for him to stand on too.

Last edited by redbranch : 09-26-2012 at 05:20 PM.

Old 09-29-2012, 01:11 AM   #10
redbranch
Redbranch

portfolio
Toby Hynes
Codemasters
Banbury, United Kingdom

Eye edits

Here is a close up render of the eye after some weaks to the material. Full body render next.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Old 09-29-2012, 05:56 PM   #11
Scote
just a creator

portfolio
Samuel Cote
3D Artist / FX Coordinator
Montreal, Canada

I will make him more slamish look and more reflective eyes

Old 10-10-2012, 05:14 PM   #12
redbranch
Redbranch

portfolio
Toby Hynes
Codemasters
Banbury, United Kingdom

Latest updates

Made the eye more reflective and I've made him a little more slimey looking. Crits welcome as always pleez:

Old 11-07-2012, 09:59 PM   #13
redbranch
Redbranch

portfolio
Toby Hynes
Codemasters
Banbury, United Kingdom

'Filmic' render

I wanted to do a render of my Cthulhu model with some dramatic ligthting. The renders I'd done so far were to show the model and its texture in it's entirety. For this I wanted something a bit more 'filmic'.

Feedback welcome as always.

Old 11-28-2012, 09:12 PM   #14
redbranch
Redbranch

portfolio
Toby Hynes
Codemasters
Banbury, United Kingdom

Re-rendered

Further tweaks to the lighting. Toned down the hi freq skin detail as it was killing the primary/secondary detail.

Crits welcome as always.

Couple more shots here:

Red

Old 11-29-2012, 10:14 AM   #15
ramek81
Frequenter

portfolio
Esposito Gennaro
Motion designer
paradigm404
napoli, Italy

Nice model, nice skin render