Flowering Garden from a painting

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 06 June 2012   #16
Had to take this one back to the drawing board a bit. Really cleaned up the scene, and diagnosed some rendering errors which were shooting the memory usage through the roof. And I just upgraded my computer from an Athlon X2 to an FX-8120, doubled the RAM too, and so things are much more workable and responsive now!

Here's where I'm at:

(click pic for full-size)

The flower colors need work - I switched from an overhead projection shader to a camera-angle shader, so it'll be much easier to paint up later. Lighting, meh. The hedges were my RAM usage culprit so I'm reworking those from scratch, and some positioning stuff too needs to happen...

Kind of a few steps back, but the scene's working again and progress shall be made!

"Like stone we battle the wind... Beat down and strangle the rains..."

Old 06 June 2012   #17
this is looking real good but the one thing that stands out is the stones on the floor , the texture resolution is way to low , fix that as its killing the picture apart from that its looking great

My Website

Old 06 June 2012   #18
Yes I agree with Dmaxer on the ground texture. Another thing is that the bump is too strong for my tastes as well. It feels if you fall on that you can really tear up your limbs, painful.

About the foliage, are you using Maya's paint effects or are you using some other application like Vue? All the foliage looks good except the leaves closest to the camera. I'd think adding a small SSS effect on them will help bring them out.

Good job so far.

Old 07 July 2012   #19
Did a lot of tweaking, and got a new computer that renders much faster now. Does the ground tile look any better now at all?

I still have some compositional issues to match the painting, and can't get the flowers to render with all the other elements. Diagnosing and test-rendering until I find out which objects and/or shaders aren't behaving.

Old 07 July 2012   #20
I think the lighting looks nice and I like the dark greens. Probably a tad to dark in some areas, but overall nice.
The ground in front needs some work and seems to be out of scale. I would probably try a gravel path.

Old 07 July 2012   #21
If it's this close to the camera, you probably should just model the ground tiles instead of relying on textures. Even a little bit of geometry would help a lot to get some occlusion stuff and edge wearing things going on, which will help bring out some contrast on the ground tiles, which will sell it more.

I'm curious how you plan to break up the colors, by lighting? (i know nuts about lighting). Because right now the colors on your individual elements are pretty monochromatic. Would be nice to get some color depth in.

The folds on the table cloth don't look quite as close to the painting. It feels very thick in yours, and much thinner in the painting's. The fold lines go all the way up in the painting's at any rate.

All in all though, great job! Plants are so hard to get.

Old 01 January 2013   #22
Thanks for all your feedback, folks! Here's where I'm at currently. A lot of time and energy on this project so far, but some more critique or opinion would certainly benefit. It's not quite "there" yet.

Raw render:

And a bit of postwork and z-depth atmosphere:

Is the tile on the foreground looking better? The flowers? I really need a more dynamic way to shade the flowers; right now I'm using a top-down projection which I painted up in Photoshop. A real pain in the ass, and it doesn't work on the background flowers very well this way.

Old 01 January 2013   #23
I think you are getting close!
Main issues in my eyes are the tiles and the columns. Columns it probably would be enough to reduce the strength of bump.
But the tiles...either I would go for smooth stone tiles, or use small cobbles or sand.

Old 01 January 2013   #24
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread