Steampunk car

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

08 August 2012
Originally Posted by Artbot: Love the design and details, but the texture isn't working very well. It's too rusty and evenly scratched all over. Sheet metal that large would never get so evenly aged and scratched. Instead, there'd be more rust/scratches at the bottom areas (from branches and such) and around the panel attach points, like from tools.

I thought I was the only one that feel this way about the metal. They look like a pattern at the moment.

Not feeling the white rings on the wheels also.

But otherwise, great work!

08 August 2012
It still while basis. More work will be

08 August 2012
Nice WIP!! I love it the concept as well as design....keep it up Renat

08 August 2012
Originally Posted by Aci-RoY:

Big Size

Specially this one is really great job!!

08 August 2012
I agree with artbot, the texture looks like a tile, u can try to randomize clean areas with rusty, dirty ones. Besides that looks awesome

09 September 2012
Smile

more

09 September 2012
I really really love the design! But the textures look way too uniform :-p
Have a look at this one for example:

It doesn't necessarily mean you have to use those colors but check out the rules where dirt and stains show up. I wouldn't put rust around each panel line, that is too uniform.
Also regarding the mesh it looks like it was just manufactured and all lines are perfect, all panels are in place while the rust and weathering you are aiming for indicate that this machine has been out there in service for quite a while. If you aim for photo realism, straight perfect cg lines are one thing you really want to avoid. Maybe you can also add some hinges and little handles here and there so panels can be opened by mechanics?

Can;t wait for updates!

Cheers
Andre

09 September 2012
Wink

Thanks for the reply and photo. Yes, we need more work

09 September 2012
Little upgrade

09 September 2012
ya you need to add low frequency for less wash out

09 September 2012
Originally Posted by Scote: ya you need to add low frequency for less wash out

I don't understand a little

09 September 2012
Thumbs up

I agree with others that tear-wear should be closer to edges, and where there are flat big surfaces - less of it. You can always break-down the specular, leaving diffuse more uniform.

EDIT: if you have vray, you can use its dirt shader to bake into textures different types of occlusion, and especially inverted normals function. I then use those passes for masking dirt, which greatly helps speeding-up texturing complex stuff.
From my experience, dirt almost always looks better in corners and at the end of any elements, and rarely at the center.

Then I adore the concept, really impressive. The crown somehow looks breaking the flow to me. Not vital, but think if you can make it more aerodynamic. Adding symbols and signs can help, maybe very little decor (with caution).

You can also add a little of oxidation to metal and usual mud at the bottom. I wouldn't add another layer of chipped paint, I think it looks nice as metallic one.

Last edited by mister3d : 09 September 2012 at 06:13 PM.

09 September 2012
Nice progress.

Any chances to see details like that?

10 October 2012
Originally Posted by Turri: nice , i would add some paint , and a old logo or other stuff

logo is still in the process...

Originally Posted by mister3d: agree with others that tear-wear should be closer to edges, and where there are flat big surfaces - less of it. You can always break-down the specular, leaving diffuse more uniform.

EDIT: if you have vray, you can use its dirt shader to bake into textures different types of occlusion, and especially inverted normals function. I then use those passes for masking dirt, which greatly helps speeding-up texturing complex stuff.
From my experience, dirt almost always looks better in corners and at the end of any elements, and rarely at the center.

Then I adore the concept, really impressive. The crown somehow looks breaking the flow to me. Not vital, but think if you can make it more aerodynamic. Adding symbols and signs can help, maybe very little decor (with caution).

You can also add a little of oxidation to metal and usual mud at the bottom. I wouldn't add another layer of chipped paint, I think it looks nice as metallic one.

I use Vray, and I have no painted metal. Yes, I was tired to do this project, so changes at least...

Originally Posted by Felix17: Any chances to see details like that?

No, I'll have finished modeling.

Well, continue BIG SIZE

Thread Closed share thread