Tony`s Art dump

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

12 December 2011
thanks Alot for the info what do u think about it now ? better ?

and also tweaked the render abit

12 December 2011
Are you using a reference for this? Because itís not so easy to help you with such a head. Itís more about the overall believability, which is rather subjective (except anatomical questions).

However, some more organic looking wrinkles now above the cheeks (below the eyes), and also the lips are better without that regular shape.

12 December 2011
Quote: Are you using a reference for this? Because itís not so easy to help you with such a head. Itís more about the overall believability, which is rather subjective (except anatomical questions)

well I used a ref but was from another 3d model now that I think about it I assume I was wrong I should have looked for a natural image and try to use it for me , I`am not sure I understand correctly do u mean u see anatomical errors ? if so can you please point them ? I`am sorry sometimes my english doesn`t help me so good

Quote: However, some more organic looking wrinkles now above the cheeks (below the eyes), and also the lips are better without that regular shape.

Glade you like it , do u still think the eye wrinkles are strange looking ?

some more images with minor tweaks
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15374388/afro/render3.jpg
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15374388/afro/tweak2.jpg

Last edited by antone-m : 12 December 2011 at 11:37 AM.

12 December 2011
Ok, letís look at it in detail! The last time i was comparing your model with the shown photos concerning the general feel, asking myself what iíd change if it was my model.

Anatomically 3 things: iíd lower the eye level slightly (while the current level is anatomically absolutely ok), iíd give him more realistical ears (using photo refs here), and iíd made the tracheal stuff wider and probably slightly smoother.

As for the general impression: the model is giving me the impression a bit like when the creepy side of the look has been more in focus and less the human side. This personally iíd try to avoid under all circumstances. So imo ok as a portrait off the top of one's head along with other pieces in a portfolio, but needing a very close look at reality if wanting to knock the viewer out of his shoes.

Looking at the second photo iíve posted before, youíll notice how thin and dry that old skin looks - something i donít see on your model. An other aspect of such heavy wrinkles is gravity (similar to folds in a fabric). You can see on the 1st photo posted how much those wrinkles are falling down onto each other.

Nonetheless, the wrinkles under the eyes on your update are far better now! And the model looks actually very good, especially on the first render with the dark BG. So better to take my crits with a pinch of salt, depending on personal views and also on how far you want to go with the model.

Cheers
z

12 December 2011
Thanks Alot for the great info , tried to make them not sure if they appear or not but let me know if you still see these problems , also did some shader testing and worked on the eye

I agree with on the camera thing what do u think of this view ?

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15374388/af...0testing%20.jpg

or this ?

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15374388/af...testing2%20.jpg

12 December 2011
The view is nice - basically. The backlight somewhat harsh imo - seen too often like this. You could perhaps reduce and colour it - probably blue/cyan something, more like reflections and not like when a car was standing behind him. That light could also touch the cheeks, showing just sligthly the structure there (needing structure). And i'd try to add an additional very subtle fill (power not more than 10-15%) from the left front, having the light in a very low position. It could be coloured as well, like for example green/cyan - but the idea about an additional fill not more than a guess.

The guy reminds me on a chocolate figurine at the moment - being myself a bit hungry now... Try to get the skin darker, more toward blue and magenta and reduce reflections for the moment (not totally, but almost). Needing later a much more detailed skin texture. Eyes look frightening like marzipan.(hungry!) The eye white could have more texture (with red) and the iris not too bright (looking otherwise a bit zombie-like).

Wrinkels are greatly improved - nice gravity Missing now maybe the very small, sharp creases (especially right below the eye and on the forehead). Chin, cheeks and neck still rather smooth.

Most i like the shown view. The second image linked could work perhaps as well with an other lighting and better colours (but imo not as good and he looks also surprised there, showing a completely different mood) while the first isnít good.

btw: i could see the current view showing the guy standing in front of a large fire >> colours, low light (the guy not uniformly lit >> gobo effects), some sparks flying around, while the fire itself not visible, making the guy looking mystical (not creepy). Imagining such sceneries could help you (also without sparks) to set up a convincing lighting mood.

Very nice improvements - and now i have to eat something...

12 December 2011
thanks mate did some more tweaks

Worked more on the texture and lights , My lighting skills are not that good so am trying as I can please let me know what you think ?

another light setup

12 December 2011
Made for you some roughly done editing to show a few ideas using a dark BG:

12 December 2011
Wow thanks alot for this amazing paintover

not sure If my render is as good lol

12 December 2011
Yes, skin colour is getting better.

The POs were absolutely not meant as references, my friend! Just as roughly done ideas for moods and for the skin tone, but really not more.

To be honest, itís not that easy to see what youíre going for with this head.

1. Is it an exercise in sculpturing? Then you should present it as that imo. You can use something like the current lighting (needing adjustments though), showing the model without any textures, just perfectly lit. A good presentation, like when showing a photograph of a sculpture - a professional documentation, even if not the ultimate gallery picture. And then you go on with modeling something new.

2. Or you go for a perfect studio take, which is needing far more efforts. You would have to invest a lot of time and energy to push it as far as you can - a long and stony way, starting with excessive research about the subject. You have to get an expert concerning wrinkles, ethnic portraits, etc. Might sound exaggerated, but if wanting full realism then you wonít come around to do all the homework first.

I mean it absolutely friendly that you simply canít push a model to photorealism without all the effort on research and texturing. Take a look at this photo for example:
http://www.raggett.net/wordpress/wp...ac74af57a_b.jpg
Itís about 1/4 of the format of the usually shown renders in the gallery here and almost A4 viewing format. Not that large at all, but already full of tiny little details. Helpful would be to find a good photo reference for colours, lighting and mood, where you could also see how much details you need.

Cheers
z

12 December 2011
Hey Mate , I agree with you about everything

to answer your question this started as an exercise in sculpting and then wanted to make a full picture rendered and textured, I`am abit tired from this character and reached a point where am not sure if I want to really finish it or not also not sure if it deserve any more work you did help alot my good friend thanks for the push and the info

12 December 2011
Originally Posted by thebest: Hey Mate , I agree with you about everything

to answer your question this started as an exercise in sculpting and then wanted to make a full picture rendered and textured, I`am abit tired from this character and reached a point where am not sure if I want to really finish it or not also not sure if it deserve any more work you did help alot my good friend thanks for the push and the info

Hm, perhaps youíre right. Would be nonetheless useful for a good modeler to get more into texturing and lighting. Presentations can look totally breathtaking when seeing the model highly realistically textured:
http://www.kenichinishida.com/images/scorpionA_L.jpg
Or even as real sculptures:
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...?f=132&t=699318
(just as possible inspirations)

Looking forward to see your new projects!

12 December 2011
Thanks alot for all the help you gave me my good friend wanted to share my final image , hope that it is looking good somehow and that you like it , soon I will be showing my new project keep tuned

12 December 2011
Cool, Antone! Especially cool to finish the work even if being tired of the model. Well done!

04 April 2012
Stylized Yoda (sorry for the large images)

Something for fun

Thread Closed share thread