Rolex Daytona

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 03 March 2013   #16
Hey guys and girls.
So i did fix most of the things AJ1 suggested, but i didn't want to go in and rebuilding my lighting setup, so i just tweaked it abit to give me better reflections.

I have two alternatives for the color of the final image and those are the following. They both have their pros and cons, but i kinde leaning more towards the whiter one. Mostly because that's more what i would expect from a studio typ shot.
What's your toughts, which is the better of the two. And would that one need any final tweaking.

And lastly if I were to submit any of those to the CG Gallery. Would it be good enough to be admitted?

Old 03 March 2013   #17
Hey man,

It still looks pretty good, but if you want to take this to the next level, your going to have to rebuild your light rig. Once again, study the types of set-ups that the pros use.

The composition might look better if you moved a little closer, and added some depth of field. It might also look nice turned to the side slightly. The stand takes attention away from the watch, and feels unnecessary. Have a look at some of the photos on top retail websites for reference.

Your contrast is also a bit meandering. Don't be afraid to have nearly white highlights on a black background. If your ready to throw the towel in and submit it to the gallery, then good luck. There is definitely more that can be done with this though.

-AJ

Old 03 March 2013   #18
Trying to think in the usual watches commercials and the kind of renders, i find yours very good, but i will still change some things.

the lighting in the left image is more accurate for the situation, but personally i like the second one the most, but i would try to fix the yellowish reflection on that side (green mark).

Then, this part i find it important, i would def. make some reflections in the crystal-glass material.

Old 03 March 2013   #19
Thanks guys

AJ1 guess I have to redo my light rig, it feels like a tough move right now. But hopefully i can look back to this and see it as a learning experiance. If you by saying "throw in the towel" mean giving up. Then hell no, I haven't been doing this on/off for the last 2years just to quit now. So i will fire up max and see what i can do.

Seehr yeah i will definietly be doing some type of reflection on the glass. And your right about that yellow tint too.

So again thanks guys, now it's time to get back and working on this some more. Because i don't want this to be good, i want it to be great.

Last edited by Mstandar : 03 March 2013 at 08:31 PM.

Old 03 March 2013   #20
Okay so here is a test of the new light rig im working on. The lighting is pretty much how i want it. Just some more work needed in the dial and some reflections over the glass.
These renders are straight out of max.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DaytonaStudio01.jpg (64.1 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg DaytonaStudio02.jpg (50.9 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by Mstandar : 03 March 2013 at 10:06 AM.

Old 03 March 2013   #21
Hey man,

Once again, have a look at this.

http://www.behance.net/gallery/Role...-Silver/4700525

This guy did a nice job getting the watch to pop on the black background. Some of his highlights go to nearly 255, and the darkest part of the watch are totally 0. He modelled the bevels really well, and the resulting thing white edge reflections help define the shape.

Taken without any flash, a photo of this would be completely black. 100% of the light you see on a product comes from the photographers lights. They need the control. Try to make your area lights nice and big, like 3 or 4 feet across compared to your watch. You can use a little falloff on the edge so your highlights aren't so sharp. Turn off specular reflection in your materials, and let ray trace reflections do all the work.

In today's over saturated advertising world, you really need to make your product stand out to get attention. Sometimes that means jacking the contrast to super high levels. It helps burn the image into peoples memories.

-AJ

Last edited by AJ1 : 03 March 2013 at 04:58 PM.

Old 03 March 2013   #22
Thanks man. The image you linked to is very nice indeed.
This is what i got this time. Im using 3 large softbox type of vray lights. One from the the front and above, and one from each side to lit the bracelet. I think it's getting there, just alot of trial and error.
This is a fast render straight out of max, no post or anything. Just to get the feel of the lights.

How can i turn of specular reflections on vraymaterials? I have searched the internet without finding anything about it, is it even possible in vray?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DaytonaStudio05.jpg (90.1 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by Mstandar : 03 March 2013 at 01:18 PM.

Old 03 March 2013   #23
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread