Rolex Daytona

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 10 October 2011   #1
Rolex Daytona

Hi guys,

This model is about half a year old, and i have been working on it on and of, for that time. The modeling wasnt that hard, but im stuck on the renderpart so comments and critics would help me along the way

Latest Render will be posted in this post, All wip shots and such of the modeling will be posted in the following posts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rolex_141011_Everose_02.jpg (92.5 KB, 153 views)

Old 10 October 2011   #2
Here is the images of the model.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rolex_clay_04.jpg (85.9 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg Rolex_Clay_002.jpg (58.2 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg Rolex_Clay_006.jpg (55.0 KB, 31 views)

Old 10 October 2011   #3
Nice modeling work and a good start on your lighting/rendering. I would highly recommend you turn off your HDRI image in the render as it is very distracting from your model. Make a simple backdrop so to not take away focus from the watch. Also, turn up your AA for crisper lines. The edges overall look blurred on the edges and take away believability. Also, adding in a highlight might add to making the scene more interesting.

One last note: Try and frame the watch better, it takes up too much of the image size, due to it almost touching the top and bottom of the canvas space. Try and center it or think of the "Rule of Thirds".

Keep up the good work

Old 10 October 2011   #4
I agree with snipes. Another problem is that your HDR appears to be low quality so some of the reflections on the flatter surfaces show off the low quality HDR. I might shoot my own HDR or find a better one. Overall the model and shaders are looking really nice.

Old 10 October 2011   #5
Thanks for the comments.
Yeah about the hdr image, Im using Dosch Design Extreme Hires Hdri 6*3k Spherical maps, so it could be my render settings, that are quite bad.
But i actually thinking about skipping the use of hdr. It's way too hard to get those positioned right, i will try to go for a Studio shot instead. If that fails, then it's back to the hdr maps.

My goal is to achieve something like this http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/...1280x102wf6.jpg
It wont be easy, but i will sure give it a try.

Old 11 November 2011   #6
Update Guys!

This is what i got sofar, Now it's time to add in the glass, and make that look right.

Right click and Open image, for bigger version.

Old 11 November 2011   #7
I really like the last render simple but effective , waiting to see more from you

Old 04 April 2012   #8
Hi again.

Im back on this project. And are now working on getting the glass in place and looking good.
Here is the latest render i made of the watch. The glass is rendered but i need to tweek the material to show up better.

Please comment on this if you have any ideas or tips.

Right click and Open image, for bigger version.

regards
-Marcus

Old 04 April 2012   #9
WOW!, beautiful render, no tips though I do wonder how it would look in a photoreal setting also, on a wooden table or something, be interesting to see the interaction.

Old 12 December 2012   #10
Hi this is the latest render i have done of this model. I dont want to call it finished, but for now it has to be. Because my computer dont want to render this anymore, and i kinda want to move on.
I have also put this in my portfolio.

Old 03 March 2013   #11
So here's what I have been up to lately. I have edited a bunch of materials, have fixed some flaws with some of the objects. I tweaked lights and render settings. And then I have separated the objects into own layers in photoshop, and edited them each on their own. just to get the most amount of controll over the compositing as possible. after that a DoF pass, and some Curves/levels adjustments. And i got this, I'm happy with the result. And I personally can't find anything that is need of more work.

It's possible that there are things to improve. But for that I would need your help, I need an outsiders eye on this.
To a question then, how can i improve on those images from a compression stand point. I have saved those JPG's at maximum quality, and i still get some irritating compression flaws. Is it me who is doing something wrong, or is this something one have to live with?

HiRes: http://i.imgur.com/SO8ve6q.jpg

Old 03 March 2013   #12
Nice and clean render. I like it! congrats.

Old 03 March 2013   #13
Hey man,

This looks great! You've really got this looking good.

Here are a few super nickpicky crits:

-It looks like the outer links on the band should be brushed, and because they scatter more light, should appear ever so slightly darker.

-The links are made from sawing one large link, and adding joints. The edges are thus pretty sharp, and you can see on the product shots that the highlights on the links are pretty straight. It looks like you've just bevelled your edges, and used mesh smooth or turbosmooth. You really need to tag those perimeter edges as hard, and add a sharp, 2 or 3 edge bevel.

-The surface on the round dial with the numbers on it should be more round, and the typeface on the numbers should be thicker. The numbers are also stamped into the dial. You can see from the product shots that the highlights and reflections are distorted.

-Can you detail your light rig for us? You really shouldn't need an HDRI image for something like this. When they photograph things like this, they work in a dim room, and use big area lights with powerful flashes, and clamp the camera down quite a bit. That gives them absolute control with the area lights, as no other light is influencing the product. You should just try using a black scene, and place large, solid white squares in your scene, or use renderable area lights. Normally you can get away with just 2 or 3 large area lights.

-To minimize jpeg compression, add more contrast in your image. The compression will start adding buckets in areas with low contrast. Adding a solid background and making your highlights closer to white and your shadows closet to black will help. Adding a bit of grain can help as well.

-Your product might look better on a black background, with sharper highlights and deeper shadows. This would also help with the compression. Copying the Rolex material might be a good place to start.

http://www.rolex.com/en#/rolex-watc...ld-m116509-0037

-AJ

Last edited by AJ1 : 03 March 2013 at 11:18 PM.

Old 03 March 2013   #14
Thanks guys.

Wow thats some great crits you got there AJ1, nice finds. I have began working on your suggested fixes.
I didn't use any hdri for that render, the scene consists 5 vray lights. It looks like the following

As you can see, i have one light on each side of the watch, the light to the right is a orange tint, and all the other lights is white. One light from the front to lit the stand and front of the watch. One bounced light from the top, and one bounced to lit up the watch face.
The multipliers is the following, left light 18, right light 12, front 3, top 21 and the one that lights the face is 45. They are using the default units, I should probably have used the "luminous power" or Watts to get it more correct.

"Copying the Rolex material might be a good place to start. "
Do you mean the watch materials? I'm all in for perfection on this one, so i will definitely try and get them as close as possible.

I have also scaled down the entire scene, just to match real life scale as close as possible, I can't be sure that it all is scaled correctly, but i do now that my model matches the width of the real life watch.

Last edited by Mstandar : 03 March 2013 at 10:27 AM.

Old 03 March 2013   #15
Hey man,

Try to copy the setup that a photographer might use.

http://www.pixelsmithstudios.com/wp...Pixelsmiths.jpg

http://www.photigy.com/wp-content/u...user-panles.jpg

http://www.pixiq.com/sites/default/...eaning_dust.jpg

Don't box things in so tightly with your lights. Scale them up and move them much further away from your watch. Make them all white as well. Any colouring can be done in post.

By Rolex material, I meant the Rolex ad material that they use to sell the watches.

http://content.luxurybazaar.com/ima...lack__SS_03.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-t5uvkPi1r...paper_white.jpg

Here is a link to a really well done 3D one:
http://www.behance.net/gallery/Role...-Silver/4700525

-AJ

Thread Closed share thread