Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 06-28-2012, 12:11 PM   #61
zokana
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Zoltan Kanabe
Zurich, Switzerland

Crazy work, man! Looks superfantastic!!

The intense texturing work turned out greatly! The only flaw i can see is the area between the top windows at right, the dirt somewhat uniformly repeating there, and perhaps those two darker areas on the bright building in the back, repeating at the corners of the 5th and 8th (US) floors.

The wet street is perfect!

Will be difficult to adjust the brightness of the street lamps. But glasses should be transparent imo (hard to believe having milk glass there). The light of the street lamp in front is too strong for this overall brightness, and the transparency of the glass would be also here visible, i guess (but check photos).

Improvable are reflections of the windows. Most of them look somewhat dull, especially at the stores.

A fantastic TV you’re selling there at right, and very nice those window dummies, with hair style of the era. Great attention to details!

Impressive stuff!

Old 06-28-2012, 08:44 PM   #62
Artdigital
3d Enthusiast
portfolio
Danny Robinson
London, United Kingdom

Beautiful work, fascinating thread, can't wait to see more. Keep it up...please!

Old 06-29-2012, 11:23 AM   #63
Braiz
portfolio
Brian Sørensen
CG generalist
Cadesign form
Aarhus, Denmark

Send a message via MSN to Braiz
Dennis,

Jesus it's looking good. So nice to see you're back on this project.
I'll keep an eye on this thread.

No critz at this point...

Old 06-29-2012, 03:03 PM   #64
ralvord
Veteran
portfolio
Robert Alvord
United%2BStates

Actually, for me the lighting needs work. The street lights are too hot against the building, as if there's a point light between the light post and the building. It should cast some kind of shadow of the post against the building. I would tone down those lights or pull in the radius of a directional light. I think that might help. Give it a decent falloff, so that it spills softly across your objects.

Hope this helps.

Old 08-02-2012, 04:21 PM   #65
Latter
Frequenter
portfolio
Dennis Kaya Iversholt
Viborg, Denmark

Send a message via MSN to Latter

Time for a new update... not the best render settings...and sorry again for the lack of replies and updates. I wish I had more time for this project.

Zokana: Thanks again! I agree with you on the repeating textures on the two buildings. They weren't very detailed and relied too much on the textures... I wasn't satisfied with them, so I've made two new buildings and degraded the old foreground buildigns to the background. I still need to fix the tiling issue though.

About the street lamps. They definetely didn't look right. I've made some adjustments to the cast iron material and to the glass material. I've made it more transparent... but the new updated lamps weren't added in this render.
I've made some of the windows more reflective by imo they still need work.

Artdigital, Thanks!

Braiz, thanks man

ralvord, good points. Thanks. Ive toned down the lights for now but I am still working on the light and feel of the picture.

I still need to finish the Van, My main character, add more signs, adjust textures and so on.. The lighting feels a bit flat.

Ideas and suggestions to how I can improve the picture are welcomed

Old 08-02-2012, 04:51 PM   #66
ralvord
Veteran
portfolio
Robert Alvord
United%2BStates

This is an amazing job. I would suggest, however, that you turn off one or two letters in one or two of your neon signs, to give it just that extra realism.

Old 08-02-2012, 05:08 PM   #67
ECoates
Veteran

portfolio
Evan
Winnipeg, Canada

Looks amazing man! Mind blowing amount of detail How'd you texture the street and model the decorative/ornamental support pieces, if you don't mind? Just curious as I was just trying to achieve both, but both are killing me.

Last edited by ECoates : 08-02-2012 at 05:12 PM.

Old 08-02-2012, 06:40 PM   #68
Nekotiq

I really like the progress of the image. My suggestion would be to add rain or darken the casting of the sun so it shows as if it rained. Because I feel imo that it is a little too bright with the wet pavement. Maybe a middle to darker gray but not too dark to still show the image as it was meant by your intentions.

Old 08-02-2012, 07:02 PM   #69
The-FubaR
Medical Student

Steve
Germany

Looks amazing! Really awsome job on the shading/lighting. I got one suggestion, however. In my opinion the proportions of the Chrysler building in the background are off. Considering the height of the actual Chrysler building, the tip, which we can see in your image right now, is too small. If the tip were to be that small, it gives the impression that the building is way far in the distance. However, from that angle, we wouldn't be able to see the building, if it really would be that far away. Other than that, I wouldn't change a thing, right now. Keep it up...

Old 08-02-2012, 07:12 PM   #70
Scote
just a creator

portfolio
Samuel Cote
3D Artist / FX Coordinator
Montreal, Canada

I don't like the parking meter. It's the only one on the street and it's attract me to much

Old 08-02-2012, 07:15 PM   #71
nickmarshallvfx
Expert

portfolio
Nick Marshall
Environment Supervisor
Double Negative
Vancouver, United Kingdom

Send a message via MSN to nickmarshallvfx
Beautiful work on this!
I agree about it being a bit bright and flat at the moment. I suggest maybe having some darker cloud in the sky with some sunlight breaking through (maybe slightly later in the day so the light is a bit warmer and coming in under the cloud.
Its tough to get a balance between natural and beauty lighting and it would seem a shame for this to become a typical golden hour image, but a slightly moodier look might help.

Great job on keeping a high standard through all aspects of this image!

Old 08-02-2012, 07:43 PM   #72
ACantarel
Helicopter-Guy

portfolio
Andre Cantarel
CG Model Supervisor
santa Monica, USA

Great attention to detail, I love it
Is that a tiny Chrysler Building in the far distance right of the "Arena Bar" sign? :-P

Cheers
Andre

Old 08-03-2012, 03:27 AM   #73
zokana
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Zoltan Kanabe
Zurich, Switzerland

Superb update, Latter! Very nice the new buildings in different styles, making the scenery even more realistic. Also the mood is looking very real, the foggy feel of a rainy day is nicely captured. A possibility for booting the streetscape might be to experiment with a more selective lighting.

Truly fantastic work!

btw: i’d delete that Chrysler building, replacing it by a water tank on the roof.

Old 08-03-2012, 06:33 AM   #74
Mirar
Veteran

portfolio
Marco Chau
UNSW
Sydney, Australia

Splendid! Can't imagine how much effort has been put in already... You've really nailed that design theme, the atmosphere and locale is instantly identifiable.

The complexity is amazing! If you have time, you could always make a couple floor tiles/ cement crack up/ larger gaps, or perhaps leave a couple of windows open and have lights turned on within. But I agree with the others, a moodier lighting will definitely bring this piece to the next stage.

Eager to see more progress!

Old 08-03-2012, 09:26 AM   #75
Leygo
portfolio
Hugo Leygnac
London, United%2BKingdom

Thumbs up

I like the way your work is going better, nice details and nice shaders, do not hesitate to add some objects and "accidents" on the floor and the wall.
Good luck !

Thread Closed share thread