Neon City

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 11 November 2011   #31
I’d add hair and finish textures to judge the likeness. Important is the overall impression from about 5m, and if the James Dean feel shouldn't be there, then you can still work on the likeness (or keep the tennis shoes )

cheers
z

Old 11 November 2011   #32
I think you are right Zokana.

Another test render. The eye area still needs work... but I think I'll make the hair before I make any changes to the face.

Last edited by Latter : 11 November 2011 at 05:24 PM.

Old 11 November 2011   #33
Thumbs up

Looks very good!!

Trousers are superb! Only crit there about the folds around HIS right knee - basically they are very good, but they’re too sharp, not matching fully the heavy cotton material >> somewhat smoother (all folds there).

Oh, great shoes! Soles perhaps less dark to get a less new look.

The material on the jacket doesn’t feel 100% right. Somewhat dull (even if not going for the high-gloss calfskin latin-lover look) and perhaps slightly too greenish (? but not sure about the suggested corrections here). The breast pockets look blurry and relief-like. And an other one i’ve just noticed: the shoulders seem to be somewhat high. I think two simple deformers pushing them down could add a lot to the overall impression.(did check it now in PS: yeah, the whole shoulders, incl armpit and breast pockets, could get lowered quite a lot)

Eyes appear to be rather small. I still believe that the skull was too wide, but let’s see how he looks with hair (it could be actually also the reason for the narrow looking eye distance).

Keep up the cool work, Latter!

Old 12 December 2011   #34
Thanks again Zokana

I've made a few more adjustments. I've made the folds around his right knee a bit more soft, but they may need to be even softer. I've lightned the shoe soles, but they are still very dark. I'll change them aswell.
The breast pockets were simply a texture in the previous render. This time I've modelled them instead. I've brought the shoulders down (great suggestion Zokana. His pose looks more natural now.) and made a few changes to the face. And I've added hair. I think I might need to give him a different haircut

Last edited by Latter : 12 December 2011 at 07:16 PM.

Old 12 December 2011   #35
Looks good! First impression concerning James that there’s something off with the eyes. Did check the photo again (the one i’ve linked previously) and what i’d try is to lower his eyes a tiny bit (should work with the facial proportions when looking at the photo) and to raise the whole eyebrow area. That part looks really somewhat pressed together.

Hair is nice - a bit dense and regular like a brush. The center could stand up more.

The jacket is nice. Trousers a bit cyan. When working on those folds at his right knee again: smooth out the top of the folds only, so the fabric looks more like falling. Shoes are ok imo for a shot from ca 5m.

Oh, and a last one. You could push his trousers out a bit between his legs - it’s James Dean coming down the street here, come on!

Cool work, Latter!

Old 12 December 2011   #36
Thanks again Zokana... this model wouldn't have been anywhere near as good with out your help.

I took a good look at the picture from your previous post and used it as my primary reference. I moved the eyes down and the eyebrows up and I made the jaw bigger a more square. I need to make proper eyebrows...
The folds on the jeans are very diffiult to get right imo. I need to spend more time on them later.
I've changed the hair style aswell. I guess his hair should be blond.

"Oh, and a last one. You could push his trousers out a bit between his legs - it’s James Dean coming down the street here, come on!"

Hehe I know what you mean. I've changed it a bit in this update, but I agree .... the bulge need to be bigger

Old 12 December 2011   #37
Good update! Did check your James in PS and i must say the likeness is quite good - if doing the mentioned changes stronger around the eyes. So a little late-night PO:

Keep it up!

Old 12 December 2011   #38
Very impressive WIP. How did you achieve the fog in the background?

Old 12 December 2011   #39
Wow I really had fun reading through this thread. I attempted a city scene like this like a year and a half ago, but I was kinda in over my head and bailed on it. Major kudos for all the work you've put in... I'm really liking the lighting in your last update, and the character is progressing nicely.

Oh, and zokana.... if there were a good Samaritan award at CGTalk, you deserve it. It's really awesome to see posts as constructive and helpful as everything you've done here.

I write about CG for About.com: 3d.about.com. Come say hi!

Last edited by Jussslic : 12 December 2011 at 07:33 PM.

Old 12 December 2011   #40
Originally Posted by Jussslic: Wow I really had fun reading through this thread. I attempted a city scene like this like a year and a half ago, but I kinda in over my head and bailed on it. Major kudos for all the work you've put in... I'm really liking the lighting in your last update, and the character is progressing nicely.

Oh, and zokana.... if there were a good Samaritan award at CGTalk, you deserve it. It's really awesome to see posts as constructive and helpful as everything you've done here.

Thanks for the ‘Samaritan prize’! Supporting Latter is much fun, he is a most friendly and highly talented artist. I especially love the somewhat Nordic sensitive style in his work.

And nice to see this project as the "WIP of the Week" - a cool concept indeed, developed while working on it - very promising...

Old 12 December 2011   #41
impressive! good job!

Old 12 December 2011   #42
The progression of this thread has been very interesting. Loving the updates!

Old 12 December 2011   #43
great work!! i am waiting for the new view from the street. it was looking really good, with great mood, it can be awesome and inspiring.
http://www.digital-hues.com

Old 12 December 2011   #44
I too would like to thank zokana for his kind words and constructive criticism. This type of critique is what CG Society should be all about.

To the OP, your work has been inspirational. I love what you have done so far, keep up the good work!

Old 12 December 2011   #45
Wow "wip of the week". It is very motivating that this project is getting so much attention.

I agree with Jussslic. If there was a good samaritan award Zokana would deserve one. It is fantastic to have someone with so much knowledge spend so much time just to help you out.

zokana, Very nice paintover. I really like the hairstyle. It fits the character very well. I'll see if I can do something similar to what you suggest.
Unfortunately I rendered my latest update on my work computer, which I don't have access to for the next 2 weeks. So till then I think I'll work a bit on the environment. When I get access to my latest file I'll make the final changes to the James Dean character

bala2007, it is Vray environment fog. Nothing too fancy

Jussslic, cserbuj, slice56, chrishoky thanks I am happy you guys like it so far.

Thread Closed share thread