MI-24 - A Russian Aviation Icon

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

Old 08 August 2011   #16
This is fantastic! Wonderful detail and i'm happy to hear you did it all in Max! I would love to watch how some of this was made, do you have any plans for a "how to" in the future?

Old 08 August 2011   #17
Superb. I hadn't seen your work before; have been browsing your CGportfolio and I must confess that I'm amazed.

Originally Posted by Artbot: My only comment, and this applies to about 95% of all cg aircraft models I've ever seen, is that the edge profile lines are always too straight. Not sure if you're planning on addressing that, but on old (and sometimes even new) aircraft, the fins and pylons and gear doors and whatnot all tend to get a little "wonky" over the decades. I think it's one of those subliminal things you see when you put your cg model next to a photo, but you can't quite put your finger on. There's just a level of imperfection in the real thing that's hard to duplicate easily in a model.

As a side note: everybody knows that when something is heated, it expands. Now if you think of it, when you weld a sheet of metal to a frame, only the areas in contact with the frame get heated, so only those parts expand. That creates some bumps on the metal that remain there when the metal is cold again.

http://www.ecsone.com/cart/cw2/Asse...crane%20036.jpg

Old 08 August 2011   #18
@Mirk: Thanks, haha can't wait to see the final too

@StephanRODRIGUEZ: Thanks too! Hope to get the tail rotor out of the ay quick.

@Xenon: Hey thanks Checked out your portfolio, great stuff! Loving the P-51 with all it's details! Thanks for the offer - stuff from inside the cockpit area is always needed! For the outside surfaces, I shot already 32GB of photos :P But also good Photos from top and bottom view are always useful.

@delvi: Thanks! Hmm tricky to say, I forgot to use a timer which I actually wanted to do. I worked on it occasionally, 1 hour here, 6 hours there... hard to tell. So far everything is done in Photoshop but for later, especially removing texture seams, I want to check out Mari.

@Sfrenjon: Hehe thx, yeah good old max modeling tools, still happy with them. I'm sure there will be a how-to for certain areas once it is done.

@mujambee: Thanks! Yes this aspect is very important too. It creates a very often seen effect and won;t be missed here Same for pieces which can be opened by mechanics. After 20 years, those covers/panels were opened so many times, they don;t close at a 100% anymore. Gives nice breakups in the reflections from panel to panel.

Cheers
Andre

Old 08 August 2011   #19
Hey André,

great start! i'm very happy to watch your next epic wip thread and i'm sure it's going to be even more outstanding than the last one (which is kind of hard..hehe).

Nothing to criticize so far.. i'm looking forward to see the progress and im also very curious about everything concerning the texture shooting. I shot so much hdri texture material for my c-47 and finally didn't went through the process of tonemapping... i ended up mostly using ldr material and also do too much of painting. Next time i will focus on relying to photo based texturing where ever it is possible in any way. So therefore, i'm quite interested in what you are shoing to us!!

grüßle aus heidelberg!

Old 08 August 2011   #20
Thanks Andre.

Iīve sent you an email with all the material that I have. I hope this is helpful to you.

Canīt wait to see this beast finished!

Simon

Old 08 August 2011   #21
looks damn great! amazing all the details! and allready shading on it!!! fast and fantastic! :-)

Old 08 August 2011   #22
wow!! that is simply amazing.

having done a couple of fully detailed helicopters myself at work i know how much work it is and thatīs why i look up to you for having the motivation for taking on something crazy like this as a personal project. And we all know how good itīs going to turn out in the end.

cheers

Old 08 August 2011   #23
@MFlemming: Hey thanks for the kind words bud Well yeah lets see, first all the stuff needs to be done, then we see how it looks like :P The texture shooting docu is going to be up soon, then everyone who's interested can have a look at it. Maybe you take your briulliant C-47 and start to bring in some more tone mapped texture elements, would love to see that! Alright, cu soon in Heidelberg, cheers mate

@Xenon: Hey thank you so much, still have to go through all the stuff you sent me! I'm still super busy but on the weekend tehre's enough time for a longer reply to your email. Thanks again and ttu soon!

@TNeumann: Thanks too Ha, no sure about the "fast" Hope this weekend I have time to start texturing the tail rotor!

@TwoOneOne: Thanks! Oh nice you did some helicopters as well? You have renders of them online? Would love to check them out! Was it movie related work? Cheers!

So the weekend is near and so the time for some more work on the little bird Will post updates as soon as tehre's something to look at!

Thanks for following this thread!

Cheers
Andre

Old 08 August 2011   #24
Since it was for work i canīt really talk much about it, but hereīs one of the pictures that got actually released. ( i was only involved in the modeling, btw everything was done in Nurbs) and as far as i know Eurocopter is using those models for configurators and other inhouse realtime visualisation, besides some other technical applications.

Anyways, i really enjoyed working on the helicopters, but would never be that crazy to start one as a personal project... well better never say never.

Last edited by TwoOneOne : 08 August 2011 at 10:47 PM.

Old 08 August 2011   #25
Do you mind me ask, where do you find these detailed reference images in order to model those insane details down to the last screw? Whenever I try to model something, I can never find enough close up image of component, worse yet, usually can't even find image of a consistent version of machinery. Also, I am curious as to how much RAM do you have... if you are going to put all these super detailed parts together.

Old 08 August 2011   #26
excellent so far

Old 08 August 2011   #27
Nice to see it here too Andre

Cobra 6
LinkedIn

Old 08 August 2011   #28
Originally Posted by cobra6: Nice to see it here too Andre

Cobra 6

where else can we see it?
i donīt want to miss a thing here.

Old 08 August 2011   #29
I noticed that too.
You can see it here : http://www.military-meshes.com/foru...read.php?t=4847

Old 08 August 2011   #30
Just curious, Andre: Do you do orthographic layouts for all the interior cockpit instruments, or do you simply eye-ball them when modeling?

Also, my H-5 is just a mix of semi-finished parts right now, but maybe someday I'll finish it. I really need to drive down to Oregon where they have one in the Evergreen Air museum to get better reference.

reply share thread