Team Fortress 2 : The Pyro

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

05 May 2009
any update on teh pyro ?

05 May 2009
Wow bump! No, not really, I made the flame thrower and unwrapped The UVs, I still need to do the texture. But I have been very busy with my job (which has nothing to do with 3d). I made a new ironman, not the one in my portfolio, another one, for a collectible producer. It should be produced to 2000 units and hit the shelves around christmas. I'll show pictures as soon as I'm allowed. And now I'm working on a similar project base on the Halo license. The thing is I really don't have time for it, but you know, when this kind of opportunity shows up, you can't really say no. Anyway, I might have to pass the project to someone else because there is a lot of work and I already have a fulltime job. But yeah I have left the pyro on the side for a while, totally forgot about it

Edit : here is a picture of the flame thrower

Last edited by olivierc : 05 May 2009 at 07:25 PM.

05 May 2009
Quote: It should be produced to 2000 units and hit the shelves around christmas. I'll show pictures as soon as I'm allowed. And now I'm working on a similar project base on the Halo license.

weeeeeee... !!! way to go monsieur big shot !!
always nice to see a frenchy being successful .
looking forward to an update in your portfolio soon

Quote: But yeah I have left the pyro on the side for a while, totally forgot about it

such a shame ..
it did inspire me so much . that i toy with the idea to build one myself ..to do some cel shader rendering

i really enjoy looking at your stuff and look forward to your future update

05 May 2009
I just got done playing the free demo for team fortress 2 and i got to say they should use your pyro for the game thats exellent man well done.I like the cartoon style iron man as well .Great job

05 May 2009
Thumbs up

Hey! I love your work on the tf2's pyro! that's my favorite character!

by the way, your ironman is awesome, i've seen it on sfm, and i loved its design! very great job, congrats!

05 May 2009
Thank you people. I really want to finish the pyro some day. Actually I'd like to do the whole tf2 team, just another TODO on my list, but you know how it is, so many ideas, so little time (especially when one idea involves modeling 10 characters). For the ironman, I'm having issues with marvel, I might have to redo it again. They don't want to release a character based on the first movie so close to the new movie release. Apparently the armor design will be different in ironman 2. I probably should not talk about it, but I don't remember signing any NDA of any kind (and I'm pretty pissed off to learn it AFTER I finished the model)

06 June 2009
Ack! Sorry to hear that - the Iron Man was looking pretty sweet!

06 June 2009
Thank you for reviving my posts. Here are a couple picture of the second ironman I made. I thought it wouldn't hurt if I post a few. I'll call it my master-piece (so far), it's the most detailed and complex character I made. Every part is fully modeled, no bump map bullshit

Those will be in my demo reel, which I'm working on right now. Heading to france for week in a couple hours, woohoo

Last edited by olivierc : 06 June 2009 at 04:10 PM.

06 June 2009
I cant get enough of this model, looking great mate, bravo!

12 December 2009
Hey folks, long time no update.

No update on the ironman. I made two new versions of it for ironman 2 movie, the MKIV and MKVI but I'm not allowed to show them yet. What's up with MKV? I don't know, I just model what I'm told to. And no, it's not war machine (which I'm also working on)

Anyway, the reason I'm bumping this post is because I decided to finish my pyro, the character this wip thread was originally for.
I'm learning to use mudbox:

yeah I know, I overdid the sculpting, just like any n00b in mudbox/zbrush

Anyway, Now I must figure how to get that displacement back to 3dsmax. I found tutorials, but none seem to agree on how to export from mudbox or set up displacement in MR.

Which subdivision level to use as target, which as source. What format? So far TIFF 16 has been the only to work with me but there might be a better one. I tried tiff 32 like a tutorial said but no luck.

Then in 3dsmax, I'm clueless, there seems to be so many ways to setup displacement...

Any advise from a regular mudbox user would be welcome.

I already painted the textures for the body and the flamethrower too but I'll show that when I'm done with the whole textures

Edit: since I'm not going to use this model for animation but only a couple of pic, I might just export the sculpted mesh as is, it's only 3 subdivisions, about half a million poly, not the end of the world. But still, I'd like to know how to export the displacement to max

Last edited by olivierc : 12 December 2009 at 05:33 PM.

12 December 2009
yeeeeeessss !!
you are back at it !!
great , it's not looking as cute and cudly as teh first version .. but who care . :-)

looking forward to the first color update :-)

by the way .. the iron man look ace !!!
did you ever found someone for the other project we talked on the phone ?

12 December 2009
Yes I decided to go with a more realistic look after all. I wanted to learn to sculpt but was a bit too lazy to start from scratch so I used that one.

I had found a friend to work on the masterchief but the project got suspended. I started to work on it again last month but got paused again for the ironman2 project (man you're going to love that new one) and in the end I might recycle what I have done on the masterchief on a new project for the next halo game, Halo Reach. Here is what I had done:
http://soletme.free.fr/halo/ms03.jpg
http://soletme.free.fr/halo/ms04.jpg
(also did part of the legs but those renders are older)

I'll probably post some update tomorrow, heading to see avatar! it's already out here in France

12 December 2009
Originally Posted by pussycat: Yes I decided to go with a more realistic look after all. I wanted to learn to sculpt but was a bit too lazy to start from scratch so I used that one.

I had found a friend to work on the masterchief but the project got suspended. I started to work on it again last month but got paused again for the ironman2 project (man you're going to love that new one) and in the end I might recycle what I have done on the masterchief on a new project for the next halo game, Halo Reach. Here is what I had done:
http://soletme.free.fr/halo/ms03.jpg
http://soletme.free.fr/halo/ms04.jpg
(also did part of the legs but those renders are older)

I'll probably post some update tomorrow, heading to see avatar! it's already out here in France
wait a minute...is master chief a personal project of yours or are you really modelling chief for halo reach? dude if so, this is a huge spoiler! :P awesome modelling though! :P

by the way, i was searching for a proper concept reference to model a spartan to put in my portfolio for ages. whats your reference?. after watching the premier trailer for halo reach i'm thinking to start modeling the eva spartan with the skull on the visor or just an eva type spartan.

CGhub MeLtingBrAinZ

Last edited by MeLtingBrAinZ : 12 December 2009 at 06:44 PM.

12 December 2009
no masterchief is not for halo reach, but I was hopping I could resuse some of the armor parts I olaready modelled. The Reach characters (5 or 6 of them) all have different armors but I already spotted some parts scimilar to masterchief's
I won't work on the game but one some mershandize

edit: For the references, I have the in-game models and some color guides, which I'm obviously not allowed to share. In fact have not been able to open the halo reach models, on the masterchief, because my version of 3dsmax is too old

Last edited by olivierc : 12 December 2009 at 06:51 PM.

12 December 2009
Originally Posted by pussycat: no masterchief is not for halo reach, but I was hopping I could resuse some of the armor parts I olaready modelled. The Reach characters (5 or 6 of them) all have different armors but I already spotted some parts scimilar to masterchief's
I won't work on the game but one some mershandize
cool, do you know where i can find a proper reference for a spartan? this thing is bugging me for years. but to be honest it would be way more awesome if i modeled a grunt and then make an animated funny sequence with it. they are so hillarious when they get stucked

edit: oh i see, thnx i may try getting some pics from halo 3 theater, i think they'll do the job

by the way, bungie did a great job with the new spartans. the detail they achieved is awesome.

CGhub MeLtingBrAinZ

Last edited by MeLtingBrAinZ : 12 December 2009 at 07:00 PM.

Thread Closed share thread