Animation: "DAMN KNIGHT" short film...

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

07 July 2003
Thanks to dmcgrath, Rhid1en , Ex Tessera

Thanks allot everyone for giving me what I wanted to here, some good honest advice.

dmcgrath: thanks allot for your support on my work from the beginning of all of this, I know that I'm not the only one out there doing what it is that I've done, so I wish you the best as well on your piece when your finished.

Hello Rhidlen and Ex Tessera

You two have hit it right on the nose I think from just walking in on this, and i really appreciate your time on it. I think you are both right as far as a good approach to this piece. Hard core exagerations, more expressions, and a focused section I think would also be the key for me to make this shine allot better. I do have to think about the knight more cause i was trying to go with a stiff feeling because of the armor, and still have life like gestures, so will see. Giving the characters alittle more development in there movments to reflect there personalities would also be key for this, and NO by no means did either one of you seem hard on me for a critiques. You both gave me what i wanted, good clean advice, and more importantly inspiration
Some of the things you both asked, the arms swinging and shield
I gave them extra movment to show more weight towards the knight cause of how small he was to the objects, but maybe i should minimize that down abit, the lipsync I did through shape animation. I made heads and then shaped the lips to the letters, then key framed out the sounds.

To you all, I am curious about you guys, what are your areas of interest in animation, what do you use for software, are any of you working or have worked, do you know of any good modeling technics for poly character modeling.........
Thanks again guys for taking time out on my behalf, i really appreciate the advice and will go to it.. Talk to you all later
Dave.

07 July 2003
Holy crap.

I can't tell you how good it feels to meet someone who can take harsh criticism. That will serve you very very well, keep that up, by all means.

Right now i'm an animation student at VFS. I use softimage, for no reason other than that's what VFS teaches. I'll show you my demo reel in a couple months, when it's finished.

If you want advice on what to do next, I'd say take a little monologue from a movie, something ~10 - 15 seconds long, and do the monologue with your knight character (but remove the sword and shield first). Try and get the acting perfect, but don't copy the movie, act it out yourself and try to do it in the most convincing way possible. Make sure he takes a couple steps durring the thing, and try and get good weight shift.

Start with the big movements, the body, then work your way down to the arms and foot rolls, then hands and face. (It's useless to have the fingers moving when the body isn't right yet).

Doing this will make you better in just about all areas of animation, movement, getting a sense of weight, acting, facial, and lipsync. Try to get each of 'em perfect.

Oh, and don't worry about sound effects for everything, they really took away from this piece, I think. Just the dialogue is enough.

01 January 2006
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread