Untitled Project - Andrew Hamilton

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

05 May 2006
Damn... this is print worthy. Lovely.

05 May 2006
sweet, bit dark on my monitor! would like a lighter versoin so i can see all that nice detail.

05 May 2006
The boxes and paint cans are now textured:

05 May 2006
How do you make something so ugly...so beautiful? Amazing work!

Shep is right tho, its a bit dark...

05 May 2006
That's looking killer man..... dang. My new bestest best friend

05 May 2006
Just before im off, heres a very small update. Added in some lighting comnig from the basement windows, plus modelled the majority of the hallway. Also included the flats for the room if you guys are interested, dont go stealing anything (although i aggressively downsized them)

05 May 2006
Awesome work man!

05 May 2006
WOW! Amazing stuff. So you're painting all of the light into the textures? Do you do any baking in a 3d program, or are you just painting it by hand? I agree, a bit lighter would be great, to see more details.

05 May 2006
I think the result is looking pretty nice... I appreciate the hard work it takes to squeeze use out of every pixel (just like trying to squeeze a purpose into every triangle on a low poly model)..

Interestign experiment... I'm sure it will look great, but in a game dev environment I just cant see it as being practical..

Looks hawt though :P

05 May 2006
I like the stuff U show us in here. (I;m almost sure that i post my opinion in here but maybe I have some delusion).

THe atmosphere become awesome creepy, and its my favorite one

Ancient ... with all regard I have to You ... one question, maybe not a question, whatever. Its not practical in game dev. Yeah ok, maybe he should use second channel of mapping and generate light map. Maybe he should create one wall texture and use it in the all basment. Maybe he should use the planes with dirt to mask the tilling. But in this few years in the industry I'm working, employers didn't watch on the technical solutions, optimalizations, clean mesh or else. They were desiding always becouse they like it. I have even an example, when i send my folio to one company and they saind that my skills are not enough for them, and friend qho send there materials in the same day get the job. Difference? I had objects optimalized, with a lot of detail, some faking lights end else, and he put on some messy mesh poor photos.

So tell me, cos' IMO in that way of thinking better way is to create not practical but kickass project, then less kickass but practical.

So ... what is the solution?

05 May 2006
Amazing work Andrew. Reminds me of the Resident Evil environments. Big thumbs up.

05 May 2006
there could be possible uses for a method like this:

perhaps, a game where you travelled from room to room solving puzzles or resident evil type thing.

could look really good on a crap (erm i mean cheap) game engine without much programmery wizardry.

does look very nice

05 May 2006
I would love to see a fly thorugh of this when it is finished!
Makes me think Silent Hill, but dirtier!

Hot damn this is good.

05 May 2006
Hey guys, like i said in my first this is just a personal project for myself, getting away from all restrictions in the games industry that I must deal with all the time. I want to create something where creativity is not held back by these restrictions. That doesnt mean im going crazy though, im still keeping the poly and texture budget within reason.

Synthesizer - Nope, im not using Max to bake the lighting, i thought it would be fun to paint it by hand

Erilaz - yup, there will definately be a fly through when its all done, or more so a 'walk-through'

An update on the corridor above the stairs. Still very much a work in progress, as you can see there are still black/white parts to be textured, plus the lack of random objects scattered around. Also the lighting was painting very quickly as it was just a test, so its only temporary

05 May 2006
kickass andrew! looking forward to the finished result.

Thread Closed share thread