Cake in Zbrush W.I.P.

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  11 November 2017
Cake in Zbrush W.I.P.

Hello!
Often I get impressed and admired by 3d images which has enormous quantity of details and made by some kind of inevident and incomprehensible for me and for CG way. Food forms one of these categories of stuff. If to be more precise - it is cakes. That is why after long thinking I decided to make one myself. I choose the reference from cooking web-site (in the attachment) and want to approach to it as close as possible (but not too close).
I plan to use 3ds max as an environment software. Zbrush for modelling. And V-ray for rendering. Since Iím not a pro user of Zbrush I will be glad to see your advise and critics.
Letís go! †

 
  11 November 2017
I made a cylinder in 3ds max (2624 polygons), then imported it in Zbrush. Subdivided to 11 mil polys and started to sculpt. I took standard brush, added alpha with a big stain there and pushed a deepening on my corn. Then, I made these grooves along the side (there are some grooves on reference image). After that I took another standard brush with biscuit alpha and added some relief. It looked like mountains. Then I trimmed it with Trim Dynamic to make the surface look like cut biscuit.


 
  11 November 2017
First corn is ready. Time to start another one.

 
  11 November 2017
The second corn is ready. I wonít sculpt others since I can just turn these two on 180 and get 4 unique corn sides. I still have ideas how to improve them, but Iím lil bit tired of sculpting now.. Iím going to switch to strawberries.





 
  11 November 2017
I switched to strawberries and decided to model it in 3ds max. I created a sphere, stretched it and narrowed one of the poles. Then manually transformed the topology from quads to diamonds. I inserted and beveled each polygon to form small dimples. Then I deformed the model by noise modifier. Added dimples to the top and the bottom parts of the berry and implied turbosmooth. After that I picked all dimple-bottom polygons and detached them to an object. I used it to scatter the seeds with standard 3ds max scatter object. Then I modeled a stalk (also by hand in 3ds max) and voila!

 
  11 November 2017
Very nice start! And thanks for describing how you did the strawberries! Have you seen this making of? Two part video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRhHhJhxN7c
 
  11 November 2017
Thanks for your interest to my work.
Yes, I've seen it. It is a good one but it covers only modelling of cake's body and creme and says nothing about shaders and how to sculpt biscuit which are the most struggling things.†
 
  12 December 2017
I just finished shading of the strawberry. To adjust the refraction of the right level and consistency was challenging. I used translucency of standard V-ray material and it did a good job! Iím quite happy about it. It still needs several tweaks, but I plan to make them when all geometry is ready. I also didnít know how to texture the stalk (small leaves). It is a solid object, all leaves are merged into one so I needed custom texturing. It did have proper UVs, but didnít have a mapÖ Zbrush Spotlight was the answer! Iíd found an image of a leaf which looked similar to strawberry leaves. Then I projected it on each leave, one by one. I adjusted size and position of the image for every projection until it is ready. Now check out how it looks! )




Last edited by Mihendalf : 12 December 2017 at 09:24 AM.
 
  1 Week Ago
Iím working on strawberry slices.
I made a decision to make 3D copies of real slices pictured on photo. For this purpose I had bought a photo of strawberry slices and started my work.
Firstly I circled the shape of the chosen slice by spline and extruded it. I got a low-poly model of the slice.


I imported this model into Zbrush and remeshed it by using DynaMesh and ZRemesher. Now the topology is more even in size and follows the shape of the slice. Then I pushed in the dimples for strawberry seeds. by using standard brush.


The time of an aperture has come. Careful look on a strawberry slice reveals its structure. It consists of multiple cells. On the major part of the slice it can be imitated by just bump mapping. But itís not the case of the aperture. The inner surface of it is formed not by a knife, but by nature. So it is very uneven and bumpy. To create this type of the surface I decided to use NanoMesh brush.
I masked the aperture and deleted all other geometry (I made a backup subtool beforehand). I also made an InsertMesh brush with a model of the cell inside (it looks like a cylinder with hemispherical ends).


Then created a NanoMesh brush and filled every single quad with it.

I switched the distribution method to random scattering and chose the right number and size of the cells. I also oriented them along surface normals (with little angle deviations).



Now I have to merge the cells with the backup subtool. I did it by merging
Then I used DynaMesh to combine two meshes into one and voila! High-poly model of a strawberry slice is ready! 4 million polygons!


Iíve brought it in 3ds max and used ProOptimizer. This guy left me with only 3% of original number of polygons, so now it is about 120k quads. And it still looks good.


I filled the dimples with the seed and applied the materials. The slice is ready!
 
reply share thread



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
CGSociety
Society of Digital Artists
www.cgsociety.org

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2006,
Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Minimize Ads
Forum Jump
Miscellaneous

All times are GMT. The time now is 08:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.