ratrod's rat'stuff

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

11 November 2017
ratrod's rat'stuff

Fun, experimental, crazy things thread.

"WombLab"

Last edited by ratrod : 11 November 2017 at 09:26 PM.

11 November 2017
Took to long to finish for this thread, but was fun making the....

"Cyclopop"

Last edited by ratrod : 11 November 2017 at 09:58 PM.

11 November 2017
just a message; i tried to get high resolution pictures on original scale by linking on here, but found out it does not work nomore. I have not been on this image hosting
site Pbucket for long. Seems they ask a $ 1,10 per day for sharing/linking my own images to third parties like forums. Wasn't that way, but that was some time ago. ridiculous

12 December 2017
A day of working out a basic scenery with lights. More objects will be put in there to create a gnome with latern on a spot in the forest.
Try for a nice ambiance, with 2 volume lights and one pointlight. Not really happy yet. I think the light from the latern is ok sofar.
I experimented with lightglow and fog. Thats it for now, got 4,5 hours bedtime and then get up again to go to work

12 December 2017
Ah good to see you're also doing a thread for fun/experimental stuff! I've found it to be a great thing myself!

12 December 2017
hi , yep i float around in my idea's , and take sudden sidesteps. leaving a project and go random ways. This forest part
may well be taken into a christmass card to send to family and relatives. So, it will have my attention first .

The way to learn is the way to experiment. Theory is good, but practical shows! I always fooled around in software without
education, some times crashing the lot. I like to explorefind things out myself, unless it takes to long i seek for help.

i made a few sublte changes, but you wont hardly notice in the picture. To much quality loss. But i worked on the lightfog (from pointlight )
and adjusted volume lights by scaling and even rotating them, to see what difference it makes. I use volume lights to let a lightbulb have it's
light emitting performance, and to light around it.
I have troubles fining out what that edge of shadow/light it makes.( just below the latern most visable ). I tried color range ramps
( in Maya that is ) to act like a drop off or penumra angle ( sphere shape volume light ) It might be the latern's throwing shadow ??
But to no succes yet. So i will have another look into that and many part renders more.

12 December 2017
another render wich took about 4 minutes. Instead of using the default perspective view cam, i added a render camera and changed default settings a bit.
Still can't find out yet the hard edge in the distance. I think it has to do with one of the two light shapes. I worked with depth of field, and it made a change
to the scene'smood and softened the problem erea. But i keep looking further for the solution to the cause.

12 December 2017
4 Am ,and still at my desk.
many lightning tests and adjustments further, it has got me some good results.I found out what the problem was. I used two volume lights, one for
the latern and that was the one giving thisshadow edge or better said, border just under the latern around the floor. I swiched to pointlight, and it was gone.
Must have somethingto do with visibility of the lightshape?
I worked with the color range gradient map and interpolation settings, but to no succes. Pointlight shape did solve the problem. Now you can't see it anyway
because i moved on already, and added a tree in the back. I played with the other volume backing light and second pointlight wich enhanced the ambient mood
close around the scene were it all happens. Texturing on the tree very simple, yet as it turned out very effectivly.It is done sofar for update in this thread.
learned some about color range gradients, lightfog parameters and effect of scale up/down the lights. This will be continued later as a new project to finish it.

reply share thread