Character: Master Chief Model

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

09 September 2005
Originally Posted by Stefander: Hehe, very nice, though. I didn't rip it, I hate that kind of thing... It's not really noticable here, but it's just the front side of the helmet I modeled. There are some slight errors here and there, but please bear with me =)

my apologies then, Just a lot of other people try to pass off bungies work as their own

09 September 2005
Talking

Theres one other little thing i noticed, the legs look a little far apart, like he goes horse riding at the weekend or something. this might mean that when you rig him he'll walk like hes been kicked in the knackers, i.e john wayne style.

09 September 2005
Originally Posted by Jo|{eR: my apologies then, Just a lot of other people try to pass off bungies work as their own

No problem, man. I know exactly what you mean... If I can help you with anything else, be sure to tell me...

I used the 2 animation wireframe stills from the E3 2003 demo as reference material, because the proportions in the helmet are very hard to estimate, as you might have noticed in your model. And even with those wireframes I had a hard time (the pipe-thingies on both sides of his mouth are missing in my model, because of pure lazyness on my side =))...

Also, the model is a bit too dark for my liking, give it a nice specular map with a lighter green and it'll look a lot more believable. As I said before, the helmet is very flat, and the nose-part is a bit too extruded for my liking. The normal map also looks a bit too noisy, doing it al little more subtle will bring out the deeper parts, so you can add some more scratches and such to it.

Edit: I used my ubar-1337 h4x0r Paint-skills (*shakes fist at compression quality*) to show you where you can lose a lot of polys, from what I can see... Just flatten out the green parts here, you don't need to model that detail into the low-poly mesh. =)

Last edited by Stefander : 09 September 2005 at 04:22 PM.

09 September 2005
Looks like I'm going back to the drawing board on the model. I'm going to try to get it down to 7,000 triangles. It shouldnt be too hard. I also agree with the legs being a little too far apart. And about the helmet... again I'm modeling it off the halo 2 action figure, not the ingame model :P

09 September 2005
True, but I was talking about the action figure (I was self-critting my own model there, but after that paragraph I was talking about yours ). I have my own 3 little Halo 2 MCs (including Warthog, Tartarus and some Brutes) on my desk here...

09 September 2005
hmm ill check out the model when I get home, im at work right now. your prob right

09 September 2005
started to re-work the texture to make it lighter/more war torn

09 September 2005
Nice, very nice... It's turning out great

09 September 2005
Talking

thats soooo much better. thumbs up. looks like he could do with a holiday

09 September 2005
The normal map detail really shows now with the lighter texturing . Maybe you could give it a bit of yellow in there to further bring it out?

09 September 2005
that's coming along very nicely
i think your normal map came out great, and works very well with the model
he might be a little to shiney though, maybe the spec map should be turned down a little
anyway - nice job
dp

09 September 2005
thanks everyone for the encouragement and comments that have made it better

here's and update :

09 September 2005
Make a color spec map for this thing and it will rock!

09 September 2005
looking really good, can't wait to see it finished
my only crit is that the visor looks a pale tan color instead of the high contrast orange highlights.

Thread Closed share thread