Caliban - WIP

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 02 February 2007   #61
WoW

Very nice ,,, I must say this very cool... I know your still testing things,,, but one thing that caught my eye on your last post was the rib cage & spine were perfectly still the scapula & clavicle looked great... Maybe you know this & haven't done it yet,,, in that case keep the posts coming...

Old 02 February 2007   #62
S3b - Thank you. Yes, it's all 3DS Max. Everything is wired through the Reaction Manager. Almost all the cgMuscles are slaves to more than one bone and their various rotations.

sinclair - I'm making up for December!

jdheeter - The bones are based on a human skeleton I built last summer. The idea was to create a library that would give me a starting point for the next few creatures I've got planned. This is a "test bed" project.

shtl - In the race between the tortoise and the hare, I'm rooting for the tortoise :o)

Apharius - Yeah, that's a good point. The movement of the Thoraric vertebrae is very subtle, so subtle that I'm not sure if it's worth doing. It's those rib-free Lumber suckers at the bottom of the spine that do all the hard work. I'm open to suggestions :o)

Old 02 February 2007   #63
Quick update: Rigged the hand and bottom muscles. The latter were harder than expected, which is ironic as they may never be seen in action - I plan on making some ragged Elizabethan clothing.

Old 02 February 2007   #64
keep it up man! This is a very cool project and the character is 100% unique. I'm dying for the finished work, but watching it develop is going to be sweet too.

Old 03 March 2007   #65
Update: More muscles I'm afraid. I've rigged the main parts of the neck as well as a bird-like throat. To help define the torso and waist, I've put in a section of lats. These were the last two items on my checklist so, fingers crossed, I should have all the muscles I need*.

Next: Building the skin/base body and stomach deformers.

*Ha.

Old 03 March 2007   #66
good progress man, love the updates and the poly flow is excellent.

old wip
kleemann cl60
concept car(complete)
demo reel(done)

Old 03 March 2007   #67
no crits, would like to say this is a great way of creating a character. Looking really good, look fwd to seeing th finished article

Old 03 March 2007   #68
What can I say?! You're nutty LOL in a good way... coming along great As for my imagining him - I think I see him more with a humanoid face, just ugly and slimey and dumb looking... he's described as a deformed slave and he's half human so I'm going for a human face usaully - maybe it's just the influence the countless theatre productions

Old 03 March 2007   #69
Hi, a question: those muscles are made with ACT plugin or what?

Old 03 March 2007   #70
Awesome updates as usual!

Originally Posted by Piek: ...

Next: Building the skin/base body and stomach deformers.

*Ha.

I'm afraid you'll also have to develop muscle for the head, too. ?
Yeah I know, each task right in order ^^

Old 03 March 2007   #71
Great thread and a pleasure to follow something entirely unique. Would i be correct in assuming you have seen the paul hormis cloth dvd in which he employs the same technique to drive his colth objects? i did some tests in the difference between the delauney mesh and the qauds and the later proved to be just as versatile. Did you make your delauney mesh with garment maker or did your subdivide it another way.. plugin etc? i was only able to create the mesh through garment maker but i would be interested if there was another way other than subdividing it by hand.

Great work and i look forward to updates

Old 03 March 2007   #72
lol when you said about clothes I thought hope they don't hide all those muscles.
Like that long neck suits him.

Old 03 March 2007   #73
Goon, younglion & christo78 - Thanks for all the positive noises! They stop me slacking.

Intervain - Thanks for sharing, it's always interesting to hear other people's interpretations. The current RSC production of The Tempest has the best Ariel I've seen in a long time:

http://www.rsc.org.uk/explore/works...empest_2409.htm

GunraY - Yes, they are ACT muscles. In case you haven't used them, an ACT muscle is basically an uncapped cylinder. You can manipulate its shape to a certain extent, but you have to be careful - there's a lot of math built into them.

shtl - Face muscles? Never! :o)

knowlesmark5 - I saw that Paul Hormis was running a CGSociety Workshop, but I didn't realise he had DVDs. I'm looking at a page with two titles: Character Rigging and Advanced Cloth. Is it the latter that you've seen? I've been working in the dark, so it would be cool to see someone else's work flow. Thanks for the info :o)

Haha, I was also looking for a plugin that would convert Poly meshes into Delaunay Tris but Mr.Google say's there ain't none. For the arm test, I made a rectangle in Garment maker, collapsed it to an edit mesh, "bent" it into a cylinder and then used "confrom" to make it match my arm. A bit dirty, and the reason why I tried a poly mesh instead.

Grubster - Even monsters deserve a little dignity :o)

Old 03 March 2007   #74
Its the advanced cloth workshop and i found the exact same problems with converting to a delauney mesh, no way other than garment maker or god forbid cutting by hand! Anywho...

The way you seem to be doing your wraps is nigh on identical to Hormis, he has the advantage of some spanking scripts shrink/conform/skin wrap type scripts which do a lot of awesome stuff. He creates low poly drivers out of high poly meshes then uses the driver to animate say a highly detailed coat or something like that. Its got the added advantage of reducing your simulation times because of the lower amount of polys and what not although cloth can handle a pretty big load. But definately one i would recommend. He skins all of his drivers etc to his rigs so from that perspective i dont know how yours would work but im guessing in a not too disimilar fashion. Check out his site:

http://hyperent.com/

You can download his shrink and conform wrap scripts from his macroscript section if you want to play and not buy the dvd. And the part you might be interested in is shown under the cloth tutorials section of his site. Good stuff though.

Last edited by Frubes : 03 March 2007 at 03:21 PM.

Old 03 March 2007   #75
Wow! Stunning work. You said that you're going to use only standard MAX tools for your muscles. Are you for real? Are you going to make the skin to slide over the muscles? If you are, it would be very cool to hear about your method. I've realized that skin sliding is extrmely difficult to achieve without plugins.

Thread Closed share thread