Caliban - WIP

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 02 February 2007   #46
Hahaha. I understand your situation completely!

I find stepping away and doing other things gives me my Eureka! moment. Its usually when my brain is in vacant mode. hehe. So good luck. His looking really cool.

Old 02 February 2007   #47
Fantastic work. I looking forward to see the final of this.

Old 02 February 2007   #48
Very nice man, i woud have said the knee area looked a lil jacked up but i understand this is aa creature.

Cant wait to see more.

S-84

Old 02 February 2007   #49
Thumbs up

So clean mod!
Awesome work so far!
Looking forward for it!

Old 02 February 2007   #50
Nice head.
Can't wait to see the beak poor guys already ugly enough.
keep bulldozing he's looking great!!

Old 02 February 2007   #51
Thanks for all the comments! They keep my procrastinating tendencies at bay.

PEN - This is all, pretty much, your fault :o)

I've added the last bits and bobs to the base head in readiness for high-res detailing. As this project is about trying new approaches, I thought it might be a good opportunity to give Mudbox a whirl?

I've also been working on a skin solution. I decided to go back to basics and use the standard Max tools, rather than rely on a plugin. The following screen caps are of a Cloth preset I've made that tries to mimic skin. Again, the geometry is just shrink wrapped cyclinders for quick testing purposes.

I thought that I might have to use Delauany meshes, but the Quads hold up almost as well.

Old 02 February 2007   #52
wow pretty kool and your using cloth you say? I was going to ask why not syflex flesh but i don't think its available for max as yet. Anyway your doing a pretty good job without it

Lastest
???????????
VFX ARTISTE

Push yourelf...and have patience

Old 02 February 2007   #53
Great progress Piek, I like your approach to the muscle systems and cloth, will be very interesting to see the end results. Love the style for the head, if you havent tried mudbox yet, trust me you will luuuurve it! it's so easy to use.

Cant wait for the update.

Cheers

I N F I N I T E

Old 02 February 2007   #54
Damn. its looking cool. Good test with the cloth. though it feels as though it has flat spots. Like between the muscles. hope that makes sense? The character is turning out great!

Keep up the good work.

Brett

Old 02 February 2007   #55
Hee! I thinK I'll be totally following this thread! CG+Shakespeare - you got me more than interested! Awesome choice of Character! I love how you've choisen to build the body based on a frog pose! I've always imagined Caliban in this pose though perhaps with a less fishy face but that's your interpretation not mine Keep going!

Old 02 February 2007   #56
Chars! In response to some questions:

Satellite1984 - Even for a creature, that knee looked like a case of steriod abuse :o)

RenisanceX - Thanks for the info about Syflex, I hadn't heard of it before. I've been checking out some XSI sites that show examples of it in action.

INFINITE - I'll also be interested to see the end results, this is, as they say, a total "crapshoot" :o)

sinclair - Good spot! Yup, there are "flat spots". I think it's because I'm telling the verts to constantly move in on their normals. That's how the cloth remains wrinkle free. I'll probably have to dial that setting down a bit.

Intervain - Thanks! Out of interest, how do you see him?

UPDATE - A bit more rigging this week. I come from a traditional background and I'm not very technical - I once tried to play a DVD film in a CD drive - so this has been a real learning curve. I've been following the work of Messers. PEN and Eek but they often leave me by the wayside. That's why the Reaction Manager, and its math hiding ways, has been a real godsend.

Old 02 February 2007   #57
Impressive work. You're working in max, right? Rigging is made in max as well or you are switching betwen packages to complete certein tasks? Your muscle system is awsome.
Can't wait to se more...

regards
S3b

Old 02 February 2007   #58
That looks fantastic. You turn this stuff out quick! i wish i knew more about max so i can give more technical feedback. Looking good. haha.

Old 02 February 2007   #59
wow, that is amazing how realistic you have built all the bones, and they all move and interact the way they should, incredible

Old 02 February 2007   #60
Hi Piek!
I tryed hard not to flood with sillys 'woo" and "waw" and "ahha" but I can't take it anymore!

Very impatient to see the result of this with "skinning" partly completed, but it has to be done step by step and precisely so it remains clean at the end I guess.

And Caliban face is like the rest of this work: truly nice. It's full pleasure to follow this thread, so thanks for sharing.

almost forgot:

wwaaw ooh! yeah ! ^^

Thread Closed share thread