Saint Pauli Church

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

06 June 2012
Using projections is a great way to apply textures onto multiple geometries at once. You would have to UV-map it all to extract the textures properly. To my knowledge mental ray for maya does not support ptex yet, but VRay do!

06 June 2012
Very nice and clean modeling. Would be nice to see some wire frames though. Are you going to make normal maps for brick and other materials?

06 June 2012
Looking good so far, can't wait to see the building start receiving its textures, keep it up...

06 June 2012
Quote: Using projections is a great way to apply textures onto multiple geometries at once. You would have to UV-map it all to extract the textures properly. To my knowledge mental ray for maya does not support ptex yet, but VRay do!
I'm more familiar with mental ray, but I've been itching to try out VRay. I'll probably end up experimenting with both!

Quote: Are you going to make normal maps for brick and other materials?
This is my first project of this size and I haven't decided on a camera angle and composition, so at this stage I'm a bit unsure of what maps will be necessary. Any advice on this would be very welcome.

Here are some wireframes. It's a bit messy in some spots but overall I think it works alright.

Edit: I forgot to mention, you can open the images in a new tab to get the full resolution.

Last edited by Blinke : 06 June 2012 at 08:51 AM.

06 June 2012
Please upload this for some sort of historical archive when you're finished.
That'd be amazing.

07 July 2012
Any updates on the model?

Are you going to render it as subdiv surfaces?

07 July 2012
Unfortunately I've been busy with work since the last update. I did a quick render with the bushes added though, it doesn't look great but I'm working on it.

07 July 2012
Well, it's coming along nicely. What is left on your to-do-list?

07 July 2012
Great work! I like the details!

07 July 2012
Originally Posted by molgamus: Well, it's coming along nicely. What is left on your to-do-list?
I'm currently working on the trees whenever I get the chance. It's even more complicated than I initially thought. It will take some time to figure out all the settings and get results I'm satisfied with.

Other than that there's just some small details and props in the surrounding area left to model. For the houses in the background I'll probably just try to project some photos on geometry since they're not gonna very prominent in the final image.

09 September 2012
I'm alive, and the project is as well!

I've made some progress since last update, albeit not much. Work and other real life things have been getting in the way. I have been able to make a tree that I'm sort of happy with in terms of leaf distribution and overall shape, but there is probably a little more tweaking to be done. Especially the leaves have a little wonky shape so please ignore that for now. The blocky thing to the right is a stand-in for buildings that go in the background.

Right now I'm really looking for some advice about the composition. I kind of like the idea of having the trees framing the church, maybe even a little tighter than they are now. The big shadow from the left tree falls kind of awkwardly right at the stairs I think, so I will be adjusting that. I'm also toying with the idea of bringing the camera down, closer to eye level, and move it forward to make the building tower over you a little more.

What do you guys think? Comments, critiques and ideas are most welcome.

09 September 2012
Looking really good so far, the model looks great.

09 September 2012
Very nice details
Are you going to add little chamfers to the edges to catch highlights or are you planing to do this via a shader?

cheers
Andre

09 September 2012
Originally Posted by jtraylor: Looking really good so far, the model looks great.
Thanks!

Originally Posted by ACantarel: Are you going to add little chamfers to the edges to catch highlights or are you planing to do this via a shader?
I'm gonna run some tests and see how it looks with mia_roundcorners before I do any chamfering. Hopefully the shader will be good enough, hehe.

09 September 2012
Originally Posted by Blinke: Thanks!

I'm gonna run some tests and see how it looks with mia_roundcorners before I do any chamfering. Hopefully the shader will be good enough, hehe.

Cool yeah it'll be fine. Just some noise into the radius to break up the highlights and it's done

Cheers
Andre

Thread Closed share thread