US marine

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

03 March 2011
Nice work, love the detail

Last edited by nzhavoc : 04 April 2011 at 02:19 AM.

03 March 2011
awsome stuff

Very nice work in such a short time. I started a modeling project about a year ago on just the M4 Carbine:

http://i1135.photobucket.com/albums...oc/l-side_r.png
http://i1135.photobucket.com/albums...oc/l_side_f.png
http://i1135.photobucket.com/albums...oc/r-side_r.png
http://i1135.photobucket.com/albums...zhavoc/mech.png

Just curious to why you decided to sub-d (smooth preview) the M4 and not straight polygonal modeling?

03 March 2011
Thank you, guys! Hopefully you'll stick with this 'til the end!

I got a few things done today, but nothing really major. I did the barrel (finally..), the chord and button-thingy for the surefire, the butt plate and a few other smaller stuff. I will start on the EOTech tomorrow! There are also lots of smaller stuff that still needs some fixing up... I'd also like to be able to but bump maps on a few things before the weekend is over...

[Click the image for higher resolution picture]

03 March 2011
dare i ask what your polly/tri count is up to?

03 March 2011
amazing work man... modeling detail is awsome and its very clean as shown in the wire render.

04 April 2011
I'll hopefully have a render of the EOTech up in the very near future. But it's quite a tricky piece to model, so bear with me!

nzhavoc

Thanks, man! Awesome rifle you've got going there! I don't quite understand what you mean by "straight polygonal modeling". Please, if you have the time, elaborate!

May I ask you how you did the holes on the side of the grip for the M203..?

And also, are these really your first two posts since 2005..?

viledeacon

I don't know... Can you handle the truth? The full rifle (including accessories) is now at around 200k tris and still going up!

nuvied

Thank you very much!

04 April 2011
WOW!!! Amazing...

04 April 2011
Cool

Thanks. What I mean by "polygonal modeling" simple put is no "Smooth Preview (SP)" What you see is what you get on screen and at render time, which is how I did mine. My whole model is Polygonal except for the Pistol Grip which is Smooth Preview or Sub-D, depending on which 3D program your using. I'm using Modo. My reason was simple I couldn't be bothered with typology planning and I needed to Boolean a lot of the geometry to get the correct shapes as I did all the internal components of the weapon as well, and I wanted my UVs to be precise. Which is why I'm so amazed - if in fact your entire model is SP - that you managed to stay sane pushing and pulling all those vertices around to get your shapes down, which brings me to your second question. The holes on the M203 grip were simply Booleaned in and edge beveled. Typology wasn't an issue. The down side to polygonal modeling is that you have to use more edge loops around surfaces that are curved to get it to look smooth at render time. I know this is a bit long winded but you did ask.

...Oh yeah 2005, damn! has it really been that long......

Regards

nzhavoc

04 April 2011
Update:

Thanks for the comments! I'm sorry, but I don't have time to comment any further right now; I'm actually off to see Sucker Punch together with no one less than Zack Snyder himself! I'll be sure to answer later!

04 April 2011
eRKK a fantastic job thus far! I have to ask why that optic? with your level of detail why not the Trijicon ACOG / RMR Combo
I see these on allot of the M16's and M4's at the ranges when marines are visiting the fire line

Just asking

Last edited by EBOLII : 04 April 2011 at 03:02 PM.

04 April 2011
I'm back from after seeing the movie! It was really awesome! And Zack Snyder seems to be a really awesome guy too! I highly recommend it to anyone with a passion for giant samurajs and steampunk nazis!

I will probably have to go through a lot of trouble before I can properly fit the EOTech to the rail...

Ferodun

Thanks, man!

nzhavoc

Thank you for the detailed explanation! My whole model is "SP" then. It's what I know, so that's how I go about when I model, I guess. Topology can be great fun!

Those screws on the M203 are the only really painful part that I've come across so far...

I'd really love to hear any critiques from you since you obviously know the design of the much related M4!

EBOLII

Thank you! I know... The thing is that I made the iron sights because I thought that it would be taking the easy way out. But I realized that I wanted optics too. And I knew that EOTech's can be used in combo with ironsights, so it was an easy choice. Plus: they're awesome in my opinion. Since Marines can use what they want, I figured it only makes him an extra special marine!

04 April 2011
I matched the EOTech to the rail and fixed a few other things here and there. I also remade bits of the EOTech to make it a 552: it's a bigger version, so I like it more.

04 April 2011
Simply fantastic work on this. Definitely one of the best M16/AR models I've ever seen. You definitely have hard surface modeling down. The EOTech looks awesome! Only thing I'm not sure of at this point is the placement of the Surefire switch. If it were me, and this is purely personal preference, I'd probably have it somewhere on the left side of the rifle, close to or on the vert grip on the '203. It's just that in the position you have it presently, it would be impossible to turn the light on and fire the rifle at the same time, seeing as you would have to use your trigger finger to activate it. If the '203 weren't attached, I could see how the supporting hand could wrap around the magwell to press it.

04 April 2011
Thank you very much! Good to hear your opinion on the surefire switch! I hade trouble deciding where to put it. I never thought about the fact that you might want to use both it and the trigger simultaneously... It's a very good point! I just saw it placed like this in a picture, but you're right - that guy didn't have the M203 attached. I wasn't sure if I could fit it to the vertical grip since it moves together with the M203 when reloading, since the chord might couse some inconvenience. But that might not actually be a problem..? Thanks again for the interesting notation!

04 April 2011
Very good and solid work, the gun looks amazing. My only worry is the weight on that thing, might be too much stuff on that gun? I don't know much about real life warfare but I do know "marines make do" and that much hardware on one gun and guy seems expensive. Just food for thought

Sure looks cool though!

Thread Closed share thread