Adventure / Fantasy movie - rendered with Cryengine and 3ds max

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

09 September 2015
Thank you.
In the last few years the gpus and the processing power in general has gone up dramatically. It's easier also to paint objects in a 3ds max viewport, either with the native object paint or with all sorts of scripts.
So at the first glance it seems it would make little sense to still work like this in a game engine.
But even 5 years ago, my thread title had the words "rendered with Cryengine and 3ds max" so I'll mix and combine them however I'll see fit. And I still like the feeling of painting with objects, light and darkness in the cryengine viewport, compared to the max viewport.

09 September 2016
The offline render workflow is much better these days, but after some tests I decided the cryengine render workflow is still "in".
I'm using Sandbox like some sort of ultra fast isotropix Clarisse.

I'll add some pics and gifs soon to this post, with some viewport captures.

09 September 2016
Great to see you back. Can't wait for those updates

Cheers.

09 September 2016
Originally Posted by sebastian___: The offline render workflow is much better these days, but after some tests I decided the cryengine render workflow is still "in".
I'm using Sandbox like some sort of ultra fast isotropix Clarisse.

I'll add some pics and gifs soon to this post, with some viewport captures.

I very much like the sound of that. I find your whole process quite ingenious. Do you know any other people who do the same?

05 May 2017
Ups, I forgot to reply here

sacboi: Thank you. But it will take a while I can only work on the project an hour here and there. Sometimes taking 10 months or 2 years breaks and so on.
But it doesn't matter. I'm doing this as a hobby in my free time and it's a story driven project after all, even though it looks more like a technical demo so far with all my technical play and r&d. So if the story and direction will end up being good, it won't matter much if it will be finished in 2010 or 2020.

Shletten: No, I don't know others who want to do that, I think most people doing film work would think I'm crazy with a workflow like that.
But I tried some full scene animation renders with 3ds max and with all the progress from the latest years, it's still way too slow to render scenes like that (not to mention animating plants and smoke with good looking results).
Cryengine Sandbox editor is so fast and pleasant to work with. As a personal challenge I'm curious how much I can push it. I think I can make the quality higher. The goal will be to make it photoreal, but I'm not quite sure bout that, but will see.

I uploaded this movie on youtube. All the clips are very old (renderable with a gtx8800 card with 768 MB), but never got the chance to upload them. I would like to find a solution for 3ds max too, to render quickly smoke with 2d plane pufs like that, but I'm not sure it's possible to have that shading in 3ds max.

Too bad the youtube compression made invisible most of the insects particles. Some insect swarm are visible here and there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f71zkuEfRJU

reply share thread