Adventure / Fantasy movie - rendered with Cryengine and 3ds max

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

Old 04 April 2010   #16
Thanks . I will post more from some new scenes. Hope they'll turn out as good or better.

Some critique would be nice also. I know the dragonfly looks horrible - but in the last scene only the environment/background matters.

Old 05 May 2010   #17
Not really about this film project, still they are related a little - since they are tools for better results on this movie.

real time Dirt Shader procedural with all sort of presets

since the shader is procedural - no texturing / mapping necessary

together with the real-time bokeh shader

Old 05 May 2010   #18
Hey Sebastian, Great work!

Here's a few questions since I'm working with cryengine right now too. I've actually come a long way since my PM.

1. How do you export multi material objects from max (I got 2009 crytools working)?
For example, if you have a building with brick, stone and glass on different objects, and each material uses the crytek shader, how do you export all the objects to a brush so that they can be placed in the level at the same location and scale but then have different materials? I know there is a multi/sub obj material, but I can't seem to figure out how to export the material with the subs.

2. I imported the TOD from the island level, but when I change the TOD, the sun position doesn't seem to change. Furthermore, do you know how to change the TOD in game mode?

3. Where do you apply the Bokeh shader to the camera?

4. Is the dirt shader something you built?

Looking forward to more video updates!

Old 05 May 2010   #19
1. I never used that workflow - creating multi sub materials in max. What's the use ? You will have to adjust anyway the materials in Cryengine again.

You can also consult this : http://doc.crymod.com/

First let's talk about the material export. Just texture the object in max like you normally do. Export the object. Ignore the "export materials and stuff" . You can also select multiple objects and export all as a single object.
In Sandbox create a new material, or a new Multi Material. If your object in Max had a multi material - the exported object in Sandbox will "accept" that new Multi Material created.

Regarding the scale - if you set the 3ds max to use the cm / meter scale - in Sandbox 1 Unit is 1 meter. You can measure things in Sandbox with solids.

Before experting object to Sandbox it's wise to place them at 0,0,0 . Also don't scale them, or if you scale them - use Reset Xform.

If you insist you can have your objects placed at the same location they were in Max. Just export them without moving them to 0,0,0 - And in Sandbox place them at 0,0,0 . But it would be alittle awkard working like this.

2. The sun should change, if you change the time. Normally you adjust the TOD in editor. In game-mode it's not possible (without some fancy scripting)

3, 4 . The Dirt shader and the Bokeh shader is something I built (changing some existing shaders - so credit goes also to the original shader creators)

It seems I was even featured on some gaming news with that

http://www.pcgames.de/Crysis-PC-119...ffekten-748729/

I plan to build more tools. I will also post here updates even though they are not very related to this movie project.

Old 08 August 2010   #20
Some new pics from a movie sequence I hope to finish very soon

and some work on the assets :

And these are modeled with the Crysis own modeler - the voxel stuff - to model some of the trees. Even the tropical vines can be modified in crysis - with shader vertex modifiers

Last edited by sebastian___ : 08 August 2010 at 04:25 AM.

Old 08 August 2010   #22
Looks awesome. I'm quite impressed with the fact that you are using CryEngine 2 to make a short movie. Really shows how powerful the engine is. Cant wait to see the final piece.

Old 08 August 2010   #23
This is fantastic work. How does one get their hands on the CryEngine? Was it free for personal, non-commercial use?

Old 08 August 2010   #24
karabo : it is free for non commercial work

Some more technical improvements for this movie project. AA and correct 3d motion blur.

On top of the already existing antialiasing from the supersampling - a new method which increases the antialiasing. It's not really visible except on zoomed pics

gif animation compare

And the motion blur. Which is a much improved motion blur compared to existing cryengine motion blur and it's similar to a 3d motion blur rendered super slow in mental ray. It works with transparent objects, rotating objects like a propeller, shadows and everything.

A zoomed cropped picture (more pictures to follow) :

And some older pics :

without texture

Old 08 August 2010   #25
I love your environments. Is that ground shot populated using a randomizing script to place instanced assets, or it a procedural map and particle generation, or something else entirely? Is it the same with the plant growth?

Looks cool so far. I'm surprised I didn't stumble on this sooner.

Old 08 August 2010   #26
Great stuff. Keep it coming.

Old 08 August 2010   #27
Another insect test. It's still not good enough I think. Also attached a short animation - insect flying

Thanks for the comments. For the ground I used several methods - a painted black white map in photoshop as a guide for the small stones placement, some random placement and some are manual painted with a brush.
Attached Files
File Type: zip insect_slow-mo.zip (259.5 KB, 44 views)

Old 10 October 2010   #28
More models. I'm also working on some giant "hero" trees and plants. I will post later

Old 10 October 2010   #29
This some fantastic work you have done with the cryengine. It was realy amazing how much you can do just in a sandbox editor

But excuse me if this is a realy noobish question. But I was wondering how hard is it to make your own shader? Is it a lot of programming with a high skillset?

Old 12 December 2010   #30
Originally Posted by Skaumann: This some fantastic work you have done with the cryengine. It was realy amazing how much you can do just in a sandbox editor

But excuse me if this is a realy noobish question. But I was wondering how hard is it to make your own shader? Is it a lot of programming with a high skillset?

Ups, forgot to reply

Well, I think it's very easy, if I managed to do it, because I had absolutely no shader or programing experience. And for a HLSL coder should be even easier.

To be honest, I'm quite disappointed by the lack of third-party shaders/tools/custom plugins. Because as I said, If someone with zero knowledge in programming could implement a few passes like alpha channel/ z-depth hack / do a higher quality motion blur / a remixed bokeh DOF / a procedural dirt paint shader and some other tools ...Just imagine what a real programmer could do.

reply share thread