Vehicle: Damaged Spaceship

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

07 July 2003
Quote: Originally posted by BlackWolf
that is a very nice model! ok, maybe just add some mode debris behind where its damaged, making it more spread out perhaps? How did you do the plate armour?

Thanks!

Yes, I could add some more damage to the rear section, but I also want the ship to have some hits from laser fire, both from previous battles and from the most recent battle that caused the serious damage to the rear.

The plate armour was done in a "brute force" method. I used box modeled cage inside a hypernurbs object to get the overall shape of the ship. Then I converted the result to a polygon object, and selected square groups of polygons (mostly 3x3 or 4x4) diagonally, like only the back squares on a checkerboard, and inner-extruded these 0.3mm and then extruded them 1mm. Then did the same to the remaining areas (white squares on a checkerboard, if you will).

I hope that description was clear enough? I could also post a wireframe if you would want to see that?

Pate

07 July 2003
one other thing about the damage section.
You must think of what was the usage of the destroyed space. Right now it seems like a 'room' with no access to the front of the ship and not any connection to the back.
One other thing is we dont get to see some structural frame, it seems that the engine was in the cutted off piece of the hull, so the underlying structure in the piece we see would be more apparent since it would have to support the hole ship.
And a last thing that would add to realism, try to enchance the damaged crossection by adding multiple levels to it, right now its like a corrridor and then the armor.

Texturing is coming along nice, keep it going

07 July 2003
Thanks for the suggestions, sumatra!

The destroyed space was the fuel tank area. It has only some localized penetrations in the firewall between the engine/fuel tank compartment and the cargo/passenger space, to make the firewall withstand such catastrophic events as has just happened to this ship.

You are correct, though, the damaged area should have some loosely hanging wires and hydraulic lines, at least. I haven't yet gotten round to adding those.

Here is a see-thru image of the undamaged ship, which I used to decide on the location of various external elements of the ship.

The engine support structs, which were located behind the fuel tanks, have been blown off in the explosion. To save weight the ship does not have any internal chasis, it uses an aluminium honeycomb structure, much like the Space Shuttle.

I purchased a book "The space shuttle operator's manual" as a reference for this project, and also have been using the structural schematics from Shuttle Operational Data Book when doing the damaged section.

http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/shuttle/reference/sodb/

Yes, the damaged cross-section is a problem, I agree. The armor plates should have a thickness to them, which is rather difficult to achieve when relying on textures as much as I did.

On the other hand, since this model is to be used in an animation having some motion blur, I think making the mesh heavily detailed might not really be needed.

Thanks for the comments, I'll see what I can do about the problems!

Pate

01 January 2006
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread