MGAC - 42 - The future, circa 1950

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

07 July 2007
I think I'll bang out a quick submission.

07 July 2007
Need to play with the proportions a bit and he'll look better when he's rigged (the arms are flexible tubes like robby the robot, and the feet things are treads and will be kicked out an a bit of an angle so he's sort of sagged).

07 July 2007
Ok, here's where I'm at. I'm not done texturing but just in case I don't get to finish tonight, I wanted to post something. I still need to texture the limbs as they're just a flat color right now. Final count, 698 tris, 1 512 color, 1 512 spec, 1 512 opacity.

07 July 2007
Looks great
What did you use the opacity map for though?

07 July 2007
Originally Posted by Pjanssen: Looks great
What did you use the opacity map for though?

The hugely wasted opacity map is for the face screen. I think I'll probably just drop it since it's hardly noticed. Originally it was going to have large holes like a grate, then I decided to put a screen in it.

I was going to render out a quick turnaround too, but this wouldn't render to an .AVI correctly. I tried an animated .gif too, but it must have been too late last night - I couldn't figure out why ImageReady wouldn't save all my .gifs/frames into 1 animated .gif. I'll try again tonight.

07 July 2007
Ok, here is my entry , and I decided to do an environment because I love doing it
I wanted to use somehow more curvy shapes (as retro sci-fi suggests), but poly limit is a serious issue Firstly, I thougth of a level where 700 tris would be visible in camera view (that would let me do some more curves), but eventually fiting all geometry into 700 tris seemed more challenging and interesting.

I got 702 tris (sorry, 2 more, I hope u will forgive me ). All textures, except for Sky/Space, have 16 color palette.
There are no other channels beside diffuse and opacity because the game that would need such geometry restrictions, unfortunately, could not dream about bumps for level textures (I quess actually this would fit DS).
Total image pixel space used in level take less than 512x512.
Lightning is done with manually assigned vertex colors.

I attached some images (in several posts), but since I did some animated textures in the level, you can download 2MB ziped video:(http://www.psychosphere.in/pics/vla..._SciFi_Vlad.zip)

Good luck everyone, ur works r comming out really cool I am eager to see them finished!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg level_01.jpg (80.7 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg level_01_02.jpg (83.1 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg level_01_03.jpg (96.4 KB, 29 views)

::my stuff

Last edited by Matroskin : 07 July 2007 at 11:45 PM.

07 July 2007
more images. Realtime view, vertex colors and wireframe.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg level_01_04.jpg (83.4 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg level_03.jpg (76.7 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg level_02.jpg (92.0 KB, 27 views)

::my stuff

Last edited by Matroskin : 07 July 2007 at 11:39 PM.

07 July 2007
Couldn't be arsed to spend more time on this guy.

3 hours total, model, unwrap, and texture.

Before you shout "Hey you went over the limit!!!" keep in mind you're seeing 6 triangles in this frame that have nothing to do with the robot (ie the cube backdrop)

upon looking at this screenshot, I have no idea how I managed to get the FPS counter to read 7911.71 as I wiggled the camera around in there for a second and couldn't get it higher than 120. I'm guessing it glitches out when you start alt-tabbing between it and photoshop a bunch or something?

Last edited by Ghostscape : 07 July 2007 at 04:01 AM.

07 July 2007
Sweet, I love the environment (thumbnails). I also really like how you took the concept of a low poly environment and brought it through to the textures.

I'm all for next-gen and bumping polycounts, but I'm just as much a fan of doing the exact opposite too. Hardcore low poly, rediculously small (by today's standards) texture sizes and low counts.

Anyway, I recieved a request earlier today about a possible deadline extension. There were less complete submissions when the request was sent, but I agreed to provide a few extra days because my schedule stinks and I'll be too busy at my gong-show of a job to really go over the submissions tomorrow. My next day off is Thursday so you all have an extra two days to polish up your models and textures if you feel the need.

The current submissions look great, I hope the extra few days provides a few more people to join in. I also hope that those who made the deadline aren't disappointed or annoyed by an extension.

NEW DEADLINE: Thursday, July 5th

07 July 2007
I figured out what I was doing wrong in ImageReady. Check out the turnaround, but beware, it's 1.6+ M. I should take out some of the frames to get it to a manageable size I guess..

07 July 2007
sweet a little more time. I totaly got bogged down with other crap this week. ill try and squeeze mine out tomorrow.

07 July 2007
unfortunatly, with as busy as ive been this week, this is as far as I can take it. I probably should have gone with a ray gun, as it would have been a much quicker deal. And as will most the models I make, I want to go back and do this one all over because now I see how I could have made it much better. LOL. as I dont work with 3D often its a lot of fun learning my mistakes. I will probably re-do this guy in the future with a little higher tri and a lot more time texturing.

I made this opacity map... but looking at the renders I think i didnt re-load it.... hmph. Or the color map. The numbers should be bigger.... ahh... Im tired.... LOL

07 July 2007
How are you getting the yellow glow on the eye-thing? It looks really good.

07 July 2007
Thanks!
I cheated. Its just a few poly's with the Maya 'glow' special effect applied to it. I know there are glow shaders and such for games, but I dont realy know how to work any of that yet. so this was the easyest substitute.

07 July 2007
Aww, Codenothing, your robot has so much potential, I think with a little more work on the texture you could push him to the next level. Hopefully you can find a little extra time before Thursday and add a little more character to him. Even still he turned out pretty cool.

Thread Closed share thread