Goblin texturing

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

06 June 2002
Thanks for the hair tutorial! Great model and great texturing. I really like the soft look of your characters, especially the mini you! You rock :airguitar

Have fun,

WAVK

06 June 2002
This is so great, nice tutorial, it's great you must have it on your homepage Mr Hobbit I will try to make some nice new hair to my she devil. You are so great Thank you for teaching us.

06 June 2002
procedural hair..who'dthunkit

cool. And mighty praise for the tutorialness

06 June 2002
Seen it done similarly in Realsoft3D Takes a bloody age to render though. I'm about to try and use the same technique on my own character as soon as I get a 3D card that can handle the realtime geometry.

Has to be said, stellar work, got a nice illustrative feel to it.

Any chance of showing us how many layers it took for the hair? ...and how it's all controlled?
regards, Paul

06 June 2002
Cool, glad everybody likes the hair technique.
mastering3d,
I usually try to paint as many black and white masks (typically painted in deep paint 3d) as possible and composite them together in photoshop. This allows me a lot of control over each map (bumo, spec, and color). For instance... if I create a black and white "wart" layer, I can bring that into my color psd and adjust the color using hsv and layer blending to composite it together... I can bring the same mask into my spec psd and use it to matte them out or make them shiny,...then I can bring the same mask into my bump psd and invert it to raise them up.
Here is a sample I did of a different sreature I painted recently.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg paint.jpg (46.1 KB, 2963 views)

06 June 2002
wow....so many maps.....tell me whats the shadow map, spot map, and color separation map is used for?
its very unlike...i never seen this kind of methods before...cant wait to see the final results. and also what kind of projection did u use?

06 June 2002
Julez4001,
cool glad you got it to work... I'm not too familair w/ lw... sorry I can't offer any assistance.
Atlanta huh? Do you work for Turner? There's not much CG down here that's for sure .

Bezerker75,
Thanx. I'm gonna try and get some facial stuff done this weekend (the only time I really get to work on this guy)

Victor Martins,
Cool. I hope it works for you. I'm probably gonna throw up a more ellaborate version of it on my website when I get some free time.

odubtaig,
Thanx.
This will take a little while to render as well once you get multiple layers and shadows turned on... right now I'm pushin' about 5-10 minutes a frame (640x480) on a p4 1.8gz... but it's worth the wait .
Here is an opengl shot of the character w/ his nurbs hair.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ghair.jpg (21.8 KB, 2939 views)

06 June 2002
I was just wondering how you flatten the mesh? In your samples it shows the uv's and the mesh is flattened perfect...is there an easy way to do this or is it always time consuming? Thanks in advance!

06 June 2002
wow man!! great job with the UV's. And great flattening! LW UV is like hell for me, but then again, i AM unexperienced!

06 June 2002
@Dragon

Thanks for uploading the images .I have never tryed it that way be for..Still its good that every one dont do it the same..Me and deep paint dont get on so I am not a big fan of it really but every one to there owen a..Keep it up man great work so far..

P.S The mesh is very very high as that got meshsmooth on it...

06 June 2002
Thanks for that I'm learning a lot here.

Last question, do all the hair 'leafs' start at the hair line or was it neccesary to layer some?

Again, stellar stuff. If only my meshes were so clean
regards, Paul

06 June 2002
Damn! You rock!
Awesome hair tutorial.

I've never seen anyone make procedural hair look so good!

5 stars!!

Miyamoto Musashi

06 June 2002
I work for a small multimedia house in Gwinnett. We had a need for a lot character animation work so I use P:messiah for that and Lightwave to render it out of.

I got the techique down perfect..Had to REALLY play without using UV maps as it needed LW'sinterpation of "directional axis" to drive the gradients.

Love your work ...very subtle.
I try to use Maya when I can
too but it wasn't what I learned on.

When I have free time I work on my avatar, just click on WEB to see full pic.

Last edited by Julez4001 : 06 June 2002 at 05:22 AM.

06 June 2002
Dmitry,
All of these are simply layers that I combine in photoshop to get my maps. For instance I would tweak the spot mask w/ hsv and composite it onto the rest of the map w/ multiply blending to get some dark spots on the character. These are just a few of the layers, I actually use a lot more than that by the time it's all done. Check the bottom of this page (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.ph...52&pagenumber=1 ) to see the results.
I used a bunch of planar maps and sewed them together to get the uv's.

Bezerker75,
there is no easy way to do this as far as I know... just one of those thankless jobs that has to be done . sorry.

diazgl,
Thanx. Maya has some pretty good uv tools. I'm not too familiar w/ lw so I don't know if there is anything comparable, but, the way I created his in maya was to take planar projections from the top, side, front, bottom, and back, then sew them together. Maya also has a cool feature called relax uv's which smooths them out and removes overlapping uv's.

06 June 2002
mastering3d,
Yeah some of the tools aren't as good as photoshop (I do all my finessing in photoshop) but it's great for getting placement for your textures.
Yeah, I took a snapshot after I smoothed the mesh... I actually did the layout in lores though.

odubtaig,
Not sure what you mean... the strands are tucked into the skull a little then blended w/ a combonation of transperency (on the strands) and painted texture (on the head).

miyamoto,
Thanx. I took a look at your site... your pumpkinhead rocks .

Julez4001,
Ah... Gwinnett is a nice area . I was gonna move there but the comute (sp?) into the city is just too much... love that Atlanta traffic .
Cool... glad you got it to work... I'm curious at how it's affecting render times in lw.
Your avatar is awsome. Very original

Thread Closed share thread