Goblin texturing

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

06 June 2002
Thanx everyone,

A lot of people are asking how the hair was done so I'll try and post something up a little later (probably during lunch) explaining the process.

Dmitry,
I don't know about facial hair... but I'm working on adding some more wrinkles... the bump map I had was too subtle.

diazgl,
Yeah, I noticed that too... right now I'm rendering w/ the default settings and it's taking about 10 minutes a frame (due to all the transperency & shadows on the hair) but on the final I'll jack the anti-alias settings up. It'll take longer to render... but should fix the problem.

HellRender,
Yeah... that's pretty much my workflow for poly's (plus a lot of artisan). I guess... just keep on trying... eventually you'll get something that works for you?

zeroeefx.
It was modeled in nurbs w/ a procedural shader applied... I'll post aomething a little more elaborate later.

Victor Martins,
Thanx. I desaturated and darkened him up a bit this mornin'.. the changes are real subtle though so I didn't post... matbe tomorrow or the day after.... anyway... I'll post the hair thing a little later... It actually is pretty easy... but takes a lot of tweaking to get a good look.

diazgl,
Almost right on the nose... except you don't need to worry about uv's w/ nurbs (you get them for free w/ patches ) and it's not a ps file... the texture is actually procedural.

Thanx,

06 June 2002
Hey if the hair is procedural, how did you get it fade off in the end and where it touches his forehead. Alphamaps?

06 June 2002
nice Dragon!! Damn, a little more and i had you there!!!! Hmmm, procedural conforming to UV hey? Nice. BTW, you prolly already mentioned this, but, what is your working enviroment, LW? If yes, how do you conform a procedural to a UV map?

06 June 2002
Ok... some of you have asked how I did the hair, and, as promised I wrote up a

mini-tutorial. Since I can only post one image per post... I'll span this over a few posts.
Ok here we go. Start out by modeling your planes. Make that they are rounded at the sides so

that they catch light correctly (fig. A). Next create an anisotropic shader and pump a ramp

into the transperency. Create a balck and white pattern on the ramp (fig. B). Black will be

transperent and white will be opaque. Add a little noise to the ramp and adjust the

frequency to give it a wavy feel to it. Next go to your 2d placement node and repeat it a

few times in the V direction. Apply it to your plane and test render. It should look similar

to fig. C.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hair1.jpg (31.3 KB, 3632 views)

06 June 2002
Notice that although the transperency is broken up, the specular is not. To fix this run

your ramp into the specular color as well. If you do a test render you'll notice that the

spec is the exact opposite of what you want (fig. D). The transperent spot has the spec and

the the opaque spot doesn't. To fix this all you have to do is create a reverse node and

pump the out color of the ramp into the input of the reverse note then pump the output of

the reverse node into the transperency of your anisotropic shader (fig. E). It should now

look somethong like fig. F.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hair2.jpg (37.9 KB, 3565 views)

06 June 2002
The next thing to do is make the ends less perfect and more scraggled. To do this you will

need to create another ramp, but instead of a V ramp change it into a U ramp in the ramp

attributes section. Make it black at both ends and white in the middle (similar to fig.

G).Then pump it into the color gain of your other ramp. This will control the transperency

at the ends and you can lengthen or shorten your hair depending on where you place the white

on this ramp. Give it a test render, it should look something like fig. H.
From here try playing around with the noise attributes on both ramps to get the look you

want (fig. I).
The only thing you did so far is the trans and spec, try applying the same technique to both

the color and bump. It will take a lot of tweaking to get just the right look... but there

you have it... procedural hair in maya.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hair3.jpg (31.3 KB, 3546 views)

06 June 2002
nice, im writing this down...

06 June 2002
diazgl,
I use Maya mainly.
Nurbs objects, since they are a square grid by nature and can consist of only 4 sides, have texture placement built into them. This is a both blessing and a nightmare at the same time. It works cool for things like this, but if you need to paint on a face or something a bit more complex... forget about it w/out a 3d paint package to help you find your way around the surface.

06 June 2002
hmmmm, great man, it's a nice way to go about it. I got one question though; why model it with curvature near the edges? I dont really get that part.

06 June 2002
hey diazgl,
The reason for the curve at the sides is so that when you rotate around it it's never 2 dimensional. This way no one will ever see the planes, plus it gives more volume to the hair.

06 June 2002
Great Work

Cool model and textureing man..I love it .I have been doing a lot of thinking and testing of late with textures,Just would like to no how you go about makeing yours.I no that you most be useing photoshop.So what I am saying is in what odder do you have you layers set in photoshop.Do you make the bump map and then use detail from that to add to colour map with the overlay.Is there any way of seeing the maps unwraped..

Last edited by mastering3d : 06 June 2002 at 09:22 PM.

06 June 2002
Dammit -trying to duplicate this in Lightwave but i can't tie the parametric gradients into the uvs (needs an image and then it fails). Still nice tutorials. Just notice you are from Atlanta too...

Okay I got it now.
Had to use Object to Pivot - x axis as the input node for the gradients. Mine is kind aof blurry but its a nice start.

Last edited by Julez4001 : 06 June 2002 at 10:08 PM.

06 June 2002
thanks for the lesson....I will have to try it out.....I never thought to do hair like that but it deffinately works! great character too!! can't wait to see some facial expressions!

06 June 2002
point taken!! Yeap, right on that one....didn't cross my mind!

06 June 2002
Quote: Originally posted by Dmitry
nice, im writing this down...

why dont you just save this page.
file, save as

Thread Closed share thread