Goblin texturing

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

06 June 2002
Here is an updated version of the goblin...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ggg1.jpg (22.8 KB, 3321 views)

06 June 2002
and another one...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ggg.jpg (28.6 KB, 3247 views)

06 June 2002
looking great man!! Nice overall look! Man, your texturing is soooooo kick ass!! Only thing is that the skin looks quite blurry, and takes away that hard and old feel from it. Also, i think that the skin around the eyes could use some darkening...it looks like it's just really soft at the moment, whereas he looks more like an older man...keep it up dude!

Oh, and the UV map..ehhee....i tried posting to get an answer for UV smoothing, but no answer yet...

06 June 2002
first of: really nice model! really nice texture! just great! the hair technique is used really good(I never got it to work this nice) all in all the model looks just solid!

congrats!
oh and nice anims on your site !

diazgl wrote:
Quote: Oh, and the UV map..ehhee....i tried posting to get an answer for UV smoothing, but no answer yet...

I think you mean flattening the uvw........right?

I don't know maya but it should be some kind of uvw unwrapper :S

Roderick

06 June 2002
well, if I understood correctly, he smoothed up the UV maps, which is something I was trying to do, like apply a metaNURBS to the UV map polygons, cos in LW, when you have already applied a UV map to your low polygon model, the UV map polygons don't smooth up, but instead, uhm, have a look:

Left image is UV map. Right Image is the UV map, but after I apply metaNURBS. Below is the how I would LIKE the UV to become after applying metanurbs. It's a simple example, k?
Attached Images
File Type: gif uv.gif (16.3 KB, 3072 views)

06 June 2002
hmmm I see what you mean.. I think it then just depends on the complexity of the model right? the uvw is basicly a "projection of the mesh" so the more complex the model, the uvw "image" gets more complex.

just my thought

06 June 2002
The goblin looks cool, although in my imagination goblins are greyish coloured, with lotta wrinkles...

According to LW`s implementation, there is a good workoaround on one site. It says, when you want to UV your model, do as follows:
1. Set your SubPatch Display in Modeler to 1. There will be NO subdivisions, but the vertices will be averaged
2. Create a copy of your subpatch model, then freeze it.
3. UV your frozen model
4. Create a morphmap, with the original (unfrozen) model
5. Apply the Morph with 100%
6. Delete morphmap

You`ll have a smoothed UV on your subpatch model

Jester

Latest thread:

Fauna

Vampyre Portrait

Girl in Hood

Vampyre Hunter I

06 June 2002
Again... I can't speak for lw but what I was talking about in maya was actually relaxing the uv's w/out increasing the complexity of the mesh. Take a look at fig.A. It's basically a snapshot of 2 planar projections on a deformed polysphere. In fig.B I sewed the 2 halves together to get one seamless projection, but there are still a lot of overlapping uv's. In fig.C is where I apply the relax function. What this does basically is pin the border edges and relax the points inside of them to relieve any overlapping (an extremely useful tool when doing this stuff).
So I can layout my uv's on my low poly mesh then apply a smooth (similar to using metanurbs) w/out having to worry about my uv's, it simply subdivides them as it would the mesh (see fig. D)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg uv.jpg (43.1 KB, 3069 views)

06 June 2002
I just have to say this is excellent work. I love the model, and your doing an awesome job on the texturing. I do hope you do some animation with it. I would love to see him talk.

06 June 2002
This is my first post on this forum so hopefully it will all work out.

Dave,

How did you deal with the fur brows? I take it that you used NURBS geometry and will wrap deform this onto the poly head.

Have you used multiple fur descriptions?

Did you manage to mirror one eyebrow to make the other or did you have to do each one from scratch?

The reason I ask is that I have tried several times to get fur eyebrows working but have never reached a satisfactory result. A few tips on this would be greatly appreciated.

Stuart.

06 June 2002
Dave, i love your work, can i buy your brain off you please??

dave, are you planning on making a short?? looking at your site, you have the hbbit, golum, this guy, the beast (george??)....
and they all look like they would fit into a short really nicely together?? just wondering...........

06 June 2002
Dave great work. I got some more add ons or suggestions towards your model/texture.
First I think you should paint an under layer of eyebrows on the texture map color, where the eye brows are, so that it doesnt look like they just stik out from blank skin. Or have you used fur shadow lights? that should solve that issue.
Second, I belive that he has no eye lashes. If you at all deside to give him some.

06 June 2002
ok j3st3r, call me stupid, but me no get!! I don't really have all LW features on the tip of my finger, so,

4. Create a morphmap, with the original (unfrozen) model
5. Apply the Morph with 100%
6. Delete morphmap

??

Is there a page with this little trick?

06 June 2002
I love him man! truly one of the best characters ive seen so far - and he has so much character ! Ur techniques are also very interesting and helpful (even for non-maya people!).
Cant wait for the next one..

06 June 2002
I don't suppose you guys have converted all this texturing skills conversations into something max users can familiarize with =)

great work though,

one question: is deep paint a good program to use for this kind of texturing?

Thread Closed share thread