Normandy Gun Battery WIP

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

12 December 2017
Normandy Gun Battery WIP

Hello Guys,

For the past few weeks on and off I've been modelling and texturing this gun battery from Longues Sur Mer using Maya and Mari its intended to be used as a background asset in a game.

I'm really not happy with how the texturing has come out, it looks flat and blurry.
For the shading I'm using an aistandardsurface shader with a colour,spec,roughness and bump map, I can't get the displacement map to work for the life of me.....

My current plan to change this is as follows:
1. Import model into Zbrush and sculpt it to look more battered, give it more texture( I presume I need to import a hiPoly mesh???)
2. Unwrap the UV and import into Mari???
3. Create a new texture in Mari
4. Create Normal maps with Xnormal or Crazy bump (never used them but just downloaded them)
5. Shade and Light in Maya
6. Render

As you might be able to tell I'm struggling with my workflow as I only half know what I'm doing and as time goes on I get more and more confused.

Any suggestions to what workflow I should use would be a great help!
Any other general tips/tricks and criticisms would be appreciated too!

Thanks.

12 December 2017
Not being familiar with those programs I cannot really offer any true advice, but I've worked at making game content without knowing much of what I'm doing so I can defiantly understand where you are. Even if nobody else replies don't get discouraged, it can be quite a headache making the next step even if you have questions posted to three or more forums.

Is Mari easier to use for painting/does Mays not have a build in 3D paint? I have an old version of Cinema 4D and 3ds Max 2015. While I like arranging the UV in Max; I find I like Cinema over Max's 3d paint so I can understand switching to another program for texturing. Is the blurriness happening in Maya or in game? I understand textures can be muddled in a game engine if they don't follow the power of 2 sizing.https://www.katsbits.com/tutorials/...wer-of-two.php

The render on black looks nice and has that concrete feel. The other render I'm not sure if it's just lighting or maybe the spectacular needs to be taken down. In Max and Poser if something needs to be fairly flat I'll take the speculator/glossiness down to almost none existent

Not sure if any of this is helpful but I couldn't pass by without trying to help a fellow content creator..

12 December 2017
Thanks for the reply mate.

I think I've found the solution to my problem, by taking it into Zbrush and sculpting in wear and tear and adding noise to the surface. Now I'm just figuring out how to bake the normals using the high poly model I've created in zbrush!

Cheers for the advice.

reply share thread