Anime Style Female Character

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

05 May 2018
Anime Style Female Character

Hello.

This is my first post on this site. I've never posted any of my 3d modelling work anywhere online before (I know, big mistake). Although I do get help from teachers and other students at the institute where I study, I want any and all help I can get, and what better place than here! Introductions aside, I'll get straight to it.

This character is based on an illustration I found on Pinterest (I'm making it purely for personal study purposes). The original art shows a character with stylized proportions and anime features. I'm working on the base mesh first. Since there isn't turnaround art to work with, I'm going off what I know of anatomy and proportions, and trying to strike a balance between the style in the art, and something just slightly more realistic. Any critique on that aspect (anatomy, proportions, shape) is greatly appreciated. Should I be looking at more real life references as I go?

Secondly, my plan is for the base mesh to have topology that's functional for both animation and sculpting. Once I'm done with the mesh, I'll import it into a sculpting software to add the remaining detail (there's not a tremendous amount of muscular definition in the character). Considering this, is the current edgeflow/topology looking okay? Which areas do I need to fix? There are two five-points near the groin area. Are these going to be a problem?

Finally, a word about workflow.
As I said, I'm creating the base mesh in a modelling software, after which I'll transfer to a sculpting software, where I'll add more detail and extract normal map that I'll apply on the base mesh before subdividing to level one or two to smooth things out. Is this a good way to go about things? I know there are other workflows, which I will explore as I get more familiar with tools, but I want to know if this will do for now.

I'll do the texturing in the sculpting software too, before extracting the maps, applying, and rendering final output.

All right, so here's what I have so far.

I'm adding a couple of screenshots without the wireframe to better emphasize the shape for anatomical/proportion-based critique.

The feet are talons.

Link to concept art used

Artist credit: Hanh Chu.

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/833728949741857017/

reply share thread