WIP Super Sonic Transport Aircraft

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

12 December 2017
WIP Super Sonic Transport Aircraft

Hello all,

I'm a CG noob working on a model of a fictional supersonic transport aircraft. It is a mash up of an Tupolve Tu-22 supersonic bomber, Convair B-58 supersonic bomber and regular passenger aircraft. I'm using Blender. As a learning resource I'm also usingVirtual Aircraft byWitold Jaworski.

Render of the current version (two man side-by-side flight deck):

Render of previous version (tandem single pilot flight deck):

My ToDo for the model:
- Finish/Improve cockpit windows
- Rework engines and engine pylons
- Add wing/fuselage connection
- Add horizontal/vertical stabilizer details
- Add wing details (flaps, ailerons)
- Add landing gear
- UV unwrapping
- Textures

As said I'm still a modeling noob, so there are some things I'd specificallylike to get some feedback:

For the fuselageI'm using a low circle with 8 edges and using Subsurf modifier for (2 subdivisions) for smoothing. Is this a good approach? Is there a good rule of thumb of base geometry (circle edge numbers vs subs?)

The fine modeling of the cockpit section is really challenging for me. I'm using edge creases to get flat windscreen panels, but I'm finding it really hard to get the desired results with it. For example edges going away from an edge crease have a concave from (screenshot blue line) but actually I'd like it to be convex (red line).

I'm not quit sure how to achievethat while using the edge crease. Also I'm not sure if working on the cockpit details this way (subsurf + crease) is the correct way. Is it better to apply the subsurf and then continue with fine details?

Here are some other pictures of the model layout:

Also any general modeling input would be greatly appreciated!

12 December 2017
You're getting creasing in that area because you have a triangle happening there.
Anytime you want to retain a shape, think in edgeloops. Without edgeloops, the information you want to keep will not work. Hence, why you're not getting the convex shape you want. Also having enough topology to hold that shape is important.
Also for the cockpit, is that suppose to be glass? If so, when modeling that has different types of material, I would model that as a seperate geo.

12 December 2017
HiHannahKang,

thank you very much for taking the time to give me some input! Just to confirm: For the cockpit section, the main thing is there should be additional edge loops to get the desired convex shape. Regarding the triangles (marked in the screenshot): Should I try to remove both (bottom and top one) or is the top one alright as the cockpit here should have a triangular shape?

Regarding the cockpit windows, yes that is supposed to be glass. I haven't split it into it's own geometry yet as I haven't fully finished modeling the main form of the windows (right now they are still a bit too large).

Also just a general question: Is the base geometry size I choose (circle with 8 sides) sufficient detail or would a higher number been better (e.g. 16 sides)?

12 December 2017
Hannakang! He or she Knows! Thanks for being around Hanna. ow yeah, der WoWpatrick; i am not familiar with blender, but as Hannahkang said already, das edgeloopy thing.
Sometimes a traingle may work with all the quad poly, and wont be noticed, depends on were it is. Make it work man

reply share thread