US marine

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

11 November 2012
Well, the point of it working from all angles was to make it a more interesting showreel piece. I don't see this becoming a very interesting still image unless I decide to go and make a whole scene. If I don't I'm stuck with just a marine, and as cool as he might be - he will never be anything more. The goal has always been more of an exercise, and eventually a showcase of a few skills that I have and will have acquired.

Cheers!

01 January 2013
So I'm back on this. Again. Not much time to say what I'm doing. It's time to hurry up.

[Click the image]

01 January 2013
Haven't worked on this as much as I perhaps should have. Most work has gone into organizing it, it has a few parts already it seems.

01 January 2013
Once again I've not worked on it as much as I should have... But I have worked some on the jacket. The cloth folding was a challenge, so I'd love to get any pointers on it!

01 January 2013
Stunning work, and I'm sooo glad you're up on this again!! Can't wait to see it textured

I know you love your jacket foldings, but frankly they don't fold as much as that. Your clothing looks very smooth and cozy, but actually the fabric is very stiff and doesn't fold much except where the elbows go.

See here:

There's not much folding going there. Second picture is more clear. I don't know how other uniforms are though, but FROG uniforms are like that at least. And I assume you're going for a FROG one, right?

01 January 2013
Hey, man!

Quote: I know you love your jacket foldings, but frankly they don't fold as much as that.
Hah, I didn't say that I love them! I said that I'd love to have some feedback on them!

Actually, I wasn't going for the frog type... I was going for the more folding type of jacket.

Also, what makes it tricky is the fact that most of the sculpt work disappears when it's rendered with a more diffuse lighting, no specular and a camouflage pattern. I think that I'll make a little test render of it to see how much it shows up!

I appreciate the input, but my main concern is that what I have mustn't look wrong in the sense that it doesn't look like fabric. Right now exactly what type of jacket he has is of lesser importance than having a good feel on the fabric.

Another point is that the fabric tends to fold a lot more when the sleeves are rolled up and the arms are bent.

I really need to get this done as soon as possible, and I thought that I would have more time to work on it than I can seem to muster up, so I need to get moving.

Rant rant, what it gets down to is this: does it look unacceptable or does it pass as cloth?

... I just love a good discussion on any topic. But you know that.

Cheers man!

01 January 2013
Well, I don't think the foldings look unrealistic at all, because they do I was just thinking that you should reconsider the foldings if you were going for the FROG type of uniform. But then again, the sleeves are rolled up so that creates more foldings anyway!

I'd absolutely love to see it textured! And I suppose a lot of the small foldings will fade a bit because of the texture. Can't wait to see!

01 January 2013
I exported a few highres geometries to try out a mental ray render so that I could better see how the cloth looks in a more realistic lighting environment. I think some of it works while other parts clearly need a bit of rework...

01 January 2013
Simply amazing.. Your model deserves a 3d print (I didn't read the whole thread, maybe you are planning it!)

01 January 2013
Thank you! Yeah, that probably would be a neat idea! Once I'm completely done with it... If ever.

__________________________________________________ ____

Here's an update. Lots of small fixes, I've mainly worked on the backside of the arms (which of course aren't visible in this render), but I've also worked on the pose and added a few minor things.

Personally I'm a HUGE fan of camouflage netting so made a quick test of it and I think I'll probably keep it, but any opinions on it couldn't hurt! I forgot to crease parts of the helmet, but the geometry in ZBrush works mostly as a stand in so it doesn't matter much.

01 January 2013
Mental!

Can't say anymore because I have to pick my jaw up from the floor....

01 January 2013
Thanks, man! Hopefully I'll be able to make it look cool from any angle!

So.. I spent the day UV-mapping, creating vector displacement maps, setting them up with MR and exporting geometry to Maya... Only to come to the conclusion that I learned a lot, but for my upcoming updated reel I'll probably render this one out in BPR instead. This due to the fact that with the amount of vector displacement going on my render times will be too long to get something out in the next few days, and that time is better spent sculpting. Anyways, ZBrush shows of the detailing pretty well, and for now that's what I'm after.

Maybe his thumb is a bit short...

01 January 2013
Digging the netting on the helmet! Your attention to detail is really inspiring...keep it up!

01 January 2013
Great stuff!

Last edited by mister3d : 01 January 2013 at 02:58 PM.

01 January 2013
superhooman

That's good to hear! Thanks!

mister3d

I'll open up some room! Cheers!

Thread Closed share thread