Seeking advice on my portfolio

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

07 July 2017
Seeking advice on my portfolio

Hello, I am trying to get an opportunity in film or cinematic fields, I hope someone help me spot the week spots in my work.

My portfolio in here
http://maymoun.cgsociety.org
OR
https://www.artstation.com/artist/maxo

I am still not sure whether to keep designing hard surface models or switch to create fully rendered scenes from concepts, is there an answer for
which area is easier to get a job? I know itís all about the good work but yet most studios look for something specific.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks.

Last edited by Maymoun : 07 July 2017 at 01:33 PM.

07 July 2017
Took a look at both portfolios. You have a nice amount of work and your work seems to be very consistent which is good.*

My first observation is that I would like to see you spend more time with each model and push it. From the outside you look to be cleanly getting to a finish, but the models are lacking a bit from FINISHING rather than pushing. for example I would like to see you spend time with different surfaces to sell the material indication through edge thickness what's metal, whats composite material steel vs iron vs aluminum etc. A lot of your surfaces and details are pretty similar so sticking a thick material next to a thin material gives you a bit better contrast. Currently some of the designs feel more toy like because of the lack of this.

Try out Keyshot and show at least one uv textured model*

Are you looking for film work or game work? My suggestion would be to find some hard-surface work from a game or film and do a master study (Copy someones Concept) and really push yourself to match every surface thickness and pay a lot of attention to the small medium and high frequency detail and make sure there is a good sense of scale in each.

One of the best hard-surface designers I have ever worked with is George Hull! Take a look at these concepts below notice how there is a nice split between the size scale weight of the details. areas of detail areas of rest etc.*

One place this stands out in your own work is the hut scene where the leafy roofs are small and thin and add a lot of life to the scene. *The trees look like you could have spent a few more hours to get them up to speed. If i had to guess your quick on getting FINiSHED which is a problem many artist actually have trouble with but for you I would say take more time you have the skill, just don't get bored with it, find good reference and spend time with materials until they look like the material without a texture map*

Here are some examples next to yours where you can see where edges, line, weight, details can help sell the scale or excitement of a piece*

Would love*to see any updates or new projects you start I think you have a lot of potential and would like to see you push yourself to reach it. I can give plenty of demo reel or portfolio advice but this would be the first step in that process. Please Keep me posted.

Last edited by Travis : 07 July 2017 at 06:01 PM.

07 July 2017
Thank you for your time and your feedback Travis, I needed your review to make sure my next piece will be better from the other.
From your feedback I think using concepts will make mores sense for either environments or models.

Good point on finishing quickly thing especially on the shading , it happened when you feel stuck and canít figure out what to do more but hopefully as I am
developing I can manage to finish better.

Thanks for the references.
Again, appreciate your time and help.

07 July 2017
No problem! you have a nice volume of work that enables someone to see your a hardworker and as you said maybe just a bit stuck. I think if you use a professional concept for your next piece and post updates here we can give you a hand with knowing where to push or develop. 6 tp 9 months of focus on 2 to 3 pieces and youll have a new reel and be very hirable!*

07 July 2017
Thank you very much,The time manner you mentioned is important too as I plan to produce more, but sure thing I have to be realistic on my goal and do it the right way.
Posting here is a great idea will do for sure.

Appreciate you kindness.

reply share thread