STASIS - 2D Isometric Adventure Game

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

08 August 2011
As usual your work looks pretty amazing. I forget if it's been asked already, are your environments fully 3d with dynamic lighting, or prerendered background images? Everything just seems so detailed that it shouldn't run very smoothly at all.

Secondly, unless there's an alternative spelling I'm unfamiliar with, or a plot device I don't know, your power switch has Infirmary misspelled with an 'e' instead of an 'a.'

08 August 2011
Originally Posted by kromano: As usual your work looks pretty amazing. I forget if it's been asked already, are your environments fully 3d with dynamic lighting, or prerendered background images? Everything just seems so detailed that it shouldn't run very smoothly at all.

Secondly, unless there's an alternative spelling I'm unfamiliar with, or a plot device I don't know, your power switch has Infirmary misspelled with an 'e' instead of an 'a.'

Hey man. Yeah-someone pointed out the misspelling on another forum! When you look at something for to long, it all kinda blurs together... D I could come up with some line about how in the future the english language has changed..but shit-I ignored the squiggly line. ;/
I've altered it in the game.

The backgrounds are all pre rendered '2D' planes, that have different 'alpha'd' out areas which control what goes in front of, or behind the character. I LOVE the fact that with 2D rendered stuff, I can still add in a ton of incidental detail, without stressing about load times/memory.

Some of the levels do have some cool lighting tricks...flickering lights, rooms that turn dark, lights that turn on with motion sensors, but its all 2D trickery. So it has the illusion of a very dyanmic environment, but still holds the detail of 2D pre rendered stuff.

Here is a video of an older build of the game, where you can see an example of it in action...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-1f...nel_video_title

09 September 2011
A link to the first 5 minutes of gameplay.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61ILFgiYaRU

09 September 2011
Man that's looking incredible. One thing I felt about gameplay, the way the rooms "rotate" when you transition through doors was kind of disorienting. Like, you exit through the top of one room and appear out the side of the other. Seems like it could make it a little difficult for navigation at first.

The artwork is great and the atmosphere is pretty solid. That video was way better in terms of brightness than before, it's much easier to see what's in the rooms while still being super moody. I can also clearly see the Fallout influence with the text above the speaker... even the font and size is a dead ringer. I'm just glad you didn't operate on a hexagonal grid too. Keep up the solid work!

09 September 2011
Marvelous work!
I would like to know how you achieved the voice effect of the cyro terminal (probably an unusual question on a graphics forum but I'm also into sound engineering )
Care to elaborate?

Regards Roman

09 September 2011
Originally Posted by limdaepl: Marvelous work!
I would like to know how you achieved the voice effect of the cyro terminal (probably an unusual question on a graphics forum but I'm also into sound engineering )
Care to elaborate?

Regards Roman

Sure thing,
For all my sound im using FL Studio, and Audacity. The voices are done with FL Studios voice synthesiser, and pitched in Audacity, where I also add in re verb and some echo.

09 September 2011
Originally Posted by Pyke: Sure thing,
For all my sound im using FL Studio, and Audacity. The voices are done with FL Studios voice synthesiser, and pitched in Audacity, where I also add in re verb and some echo.

Thanks for the info! I downloaded FL Studio and tried it myself. I realized you were using a preset that generates a voice which is robotic already.
I was assuming those voice lines were recorded/generated clean and than 'roboterized' afterwards. This 'roboterization' would have been the process that i was interested in but appearently you didn't do that. Thanks anyway and keep up the good work!

Regards Roman

09 September 2011
Because Im a 1 man show, using the preset synths is a good way of getting in additional voices that aren't my own.
Take a look at Audacity tho...there are hundreds of plugins available-Im sure there is one that could generate a similar effect from a WAV file.

09 September 2011
Originally Posted by Pyke: Because Im a 1 man show, using the preset synths is a good way of getting in additional voices that aren't my own.
Take a look at Audacity tho...there are hundreds of plugins available-Im sure there is one that could generate a similar effect from a WAV file.

I know Audacity. I am working with Ableton Live though.
I have quite some experience with sound alteration but i was hoping for new insights as i'm looking for a very specific effect which, so far, i haven't been able to emulate up to my uptown tastes

Could you use some help with your sound work? I really like your project and I'd be happy to assist.

Regards Roman

10 October 2011
Smile

I just watched the 5min gameplay video. Looks awesome I do however have two minor issues with it:
1. The HUGE cursor. I would much rather just have the small circle in the middle to be visible (maybe a bit brighter) and then show the "scan" / "interact" when they are available. Than having the big cursor that always shows you "scan", "interact" and "move" (I find "move" to be particularly unnecessary).
2. The sonar sound when you click on things. To me it's like when people have clicking sounds on their computer (very annoying). Here I would prefer if the the cursor just pulsated once when you clicked instead. Or something similar.

Now don't beat yourself up over this. As I said at the top, it looks truly awesome
PS. A run function for when the character is healed to speed up the gameplay a bit.

11 November 2011
Originally Posted by CGIvan: I just watched the 5min gameplay video. Looks awesome I do however have two minor issues with it:
1. The HUGE cursor. I would much rather just have the small circle in the middle to be visible (maybe a bit brighter) and then show the "scan" / "interact" when they are available. Than having the big cursor that always shows you "scan", "interact" and "move" (I find "move" to be particularly unnecessary).
2. The sonar sound when you click on things. To me it's like when people have clicking sounds on their computer (very annoying). Here I would prefer if the the cursor just pulsated once when you clicked instead. Or something similar.

Now don't beat yourself up over this. As I said at the top, it looks truly awesome
PS. A run function for when the character is healed to speed up the gameplay a bit.

Hey CGIvan,

The cursor has been a major battle for me! I have a cool new design that Im going to implement over the holidays. I even wrote a blog post on it.

http://www.stasisgame.com/corridors-and-cursors/

The Sonar Sound was added because there was no indication that anything had happened. Perhaps the sound is a little overpowering, but it is quite disconcerting when there is no sound...
Again, Ill have to tweak settings around, and try to find a good middle ground!

When you are all healed up, you can walk much faster. There are areas of the game where you run, but these are 'constrained' to the timed puzzles. The normal walking is around 150% faster than the beaten up one, so its pretty speedy, but still keeps the 'mood' of the scenes.

New screens for you guys!

ADMIN OFFICE
Fun note, check the blood stains on Marachecks CRYO SUIT. Gotta wonder just what he had to do to get that High Speed Neural Drill….
Im playing around with having the suit get dirtier and grimier as you go along in the game. Subtle changes-but I think it will make a difference to the immersion of the player!

COMPUTER INTERACTION.
A screen showing how you will interact with the various computers in the game. I originally had a hacking device, with a mini game attached to it-but it got tedious fast!

AND A QUICK SHOUT OUT!
Head on over to http://www.visionaire-studio.net and download the Visioniare game engine. Its free to use and learn on, and the guys there are really helpful with any questions you have. STASIS is entirely done using the engine, which is the same engine behind The Whispered World, and the latest A NEW BEGINNING (Man..just looking at that artwork makes me drool!). This is coming off like a paid advert (it isnt… ), but I cant show my appreciation enough for the guys behind this engine. Without it STASIS would only exist in my mind.

-Chris

11 November 2011
Originally Posted by limdaepl:
Could you use some help with your sound work? I really like your project and I'd be happy to assist.

Hey Roman, thanks so much for the offer to help! Right now Im trying to see if I can do it all myself, but if I do run into roadblocks I will give you a shout!

12 December 2011
Hey man, glad you got front page hope it brings more fans to the project.

Dave

12 December 2011
Wow! What an awesome surprise!
For everyone who doesn't wanna browse through the full thread, here are some links to the posts with the interesting stuff...

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showpos...62&postcount=60

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showpos...24&postcount=58

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showpos...87&postcount=47

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showpos...25&postcount=63

And the website link www.stasisgame.com, which has lots more. ;D

-Chris

12 December 2011
Wicked

Masta absolut great work Respect this is beautyful.. Not only Fallout but my favorite Crusader remind me

My Blog

Thread Closed share thread