STASIS - 2D Isometric Adventure Game

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 02 February 2011   #46
Thanks man. As a massive Fallout fan, you avatar rocks! Also good to see your brother keeping the Fallout spirit live! My next game is going to be a post apocalyptic adventure, with the same Isometric style of graphics.

Old 02 February 2011   #47
UPDATES!

A few people have asked me if there will be deaths in STASIS. The answer is a very definiate yes!
LUCASARTS games avoideded death in their games, as they felt that it hindered the gamer from exploring the world. Sierra had a different approach….death was fun! I fondly remember saving before certain deaths just so that I could watch them again. Seeing Roger Wilco’s head explode, or face melt off in acid…why, thats just awesome!

DEATH BY…..

In a game like STASIS, where danger lurks at every corner, I think that to not have deaths in the game would be a mistake. And when you have deaths, they should be spectacular! They should be fun, gory, and make you want to re-watch them a few times.
I have a long list of ways to die in the game-a list that includes being ripped apart by active sentry guns, getting freeze dried in liquid nitrogen, melted by heated metal plates, surgical dismemberment, getting crushed by faulty doors, and one of my favorites, having your spine fused together and starving to death because of a faulty injection.

APPROACHING DEATH

Now with deaths in adventure games, I think that they should be avoidable. I don’t believe in the ‘open the door into a pit of spikes’ approach to death. Just like in reality, if you are aware of your environment you should be able to avoid death. If you cant play through a game without dying, I feel that there is a problem with the design.
But with deaths like this, how can you resist walking infront of that gun…you know…just to see what happens?

YOUTUBE LINK 1 SHOWING THE DEATH IN GAME

YOUTUBE LINK 2 SHOWING THE DEATH ANIM ON ITS OWN

Old 03 March 2011   #48
I was feeling a little ’bogged down’ with the space ship stuff, so decided that every now and then, I am going to throw together one of these.
Inspired by the obvious (Blade Runner), I thought what it would look like if I was going to design a Sci-Fi Noir style adventure game. I love the old buildings, and neon lights that made Blade Runner so atmospheric.
I have always loved the idea of layered cities. Cities with levels that are only accessed from catwalks, elevators, any flying cars.
Just to reiterate, this isnt a screen from STASIS! This is just a ‘what if’ thing I put together quickly, as a break from space ships.

EDIT: My brother suggested that I work this into STASIS’s intro sequences. Originally I was going to do the cinematic sequences as a more classic ‘movie’ type of thing-but perhaps having the cutscenes also play out in ISOMETRIC could be pretty cool….

YOUTUBE ANIM LINK

Old 03 March 2011   #49
I don’t want to give away to much about the environments in STASIS…but here is a little slice of what I’ve been busy with.

Old 03 March 2011   #50
This is just too cool stuff... my brain is going to explode! Can't wait to see more.

Old 03 March 2011   #51
HessuHopo, Thanks mate. Updates are coming! Not quite head exploding, but cool non-the-less.

http://www.stasisgame.com/the-music-of-stasis/

Here are two tracks I’ve completes for STASIS.
I’ve tried to ‘mimic’ the feel of the Sound Tracks of awesome 80′s sci-fi movies, specifically referencing ALIENS (which is my favorite movie of all time. )
These tracks will be played VERY faintly in the background, with some of them coming more to the foreground when needed. I’m still doing tests with having there be ‘constantly’ music in the backgrounds, vs ambient noise, with music sporadically throughout the game. I’m thinking the latter is a better idea…
Let me know what you think…
Airlock To The Scanner
The Ghost Ship
-Chris

Old 03 March 2011   #52
Thumbs up Just awesome

As you can see i usually don't post much here. But the stuff you are presenting is just soooooo good.
Congratulations for so much creativity and skillness!
When do you plan to finish your game? (Please don't say: When it's done!) ;-)
I really want to play it...

Keep up your very good work!

Old 03 March 2011   #53
Originally Posted by fab11: As you can see i usually don't post much here. But the stuff you are presenting is just soooooo good.
Congratulations for so much creativity and skillness!
When do you plan to finish your game? (Please don't say: When it's done!) ;-)
I really want to play it...

Keep up your very good work!

Wow dude! Im honoured to be one of your 3 posts in 9 years.

Im going to have to sit with 'when its done' for now. Im pretty close to a decent BETA tho. Yay.

Old 03 March 2011   #54
Great music man, really moody.
I don't think there is need for constant music. It's can be more haunting to walk in to a room that's dead silent . But at the same time, I do like to have some quite music (a volume setting would be nice) in the background while I'm walking around trying to figure out what to do.

Old 03 March 2011   #55
omg

amazing! want to see more of this

..it's a trap!

Old 04 April 2011   #56
This is insane! I can't really express how much i admire your dedication to what you're doing. The ammount of work for such project is simply HUGE. I myself planned at some point to sit down and make a 2D 9-verb (lucasarts style) Adventure game but after seeing how much work there is to be done to keep it at a respectfull -to say the least- level, I got cold feet.
This project is trully inspiring, you made me jealous and now I want to make my own game too

You, my friend, are up there in the big leagues as far as visual quality and atmosphere goes I am psyched to see this to the finish.
Are you planning to make a buck out of this or is it simply for kicks?

Old 04 April 2011   #57
Originally Posted by CGIvan: Great music man, really moody.
I don't think there is need for constant music. It's can be more haunting to walk in to a room that's dead silent . But at the same time, I do like to have some quite music (a volume setting would be nice) in the background while I'm walking around trying to figure out what to do.

Thanks man. Ive decided that there is going to be an ambient background track throughout the game-but its is VERY ambient...essentially white noise. Then all of the music will be designed with a nice fade in, so hopefully you wont notice the swell of sound when it kicks in.
Im really in love with Deadspaces 'invisible' design philosophy, which extends in everything from the interface, to the music. Nothing is in your face in that game-everything just flows together.

Originally Posted by smas: amazing! want to see more of this

Thanks mate. There is more coming-promise!

Originally Posted by stage-gr: This is insane! I can't really express how much i admire your dedication to what you're doing. The ammount of work for such project is simply HUGE. I myself planned at some point to sit down and make a 2D 9-verb (lucasarts style) Adventure game but after seeing how much work there is to be done to keep it at a respectfull -to say the least- level, I got cold feet.
This project is trully inspiring, you made me jealous and now I want to make my own game too

You, my friend, are up there in the big leagues as far as visual quality and atmosphere goes I am psyched to see this to the finish.
Are you planning to make a buck out of this or is it simply for kicks?

Hey man. Thanks for taking the time to comment.

I can only say, MAKE IT! The tools out there to make your own Adventure Games are seriously easy to use. I have zero programming ability, and maths makes my brain hurt. So if I can do it, trust me, anyone can!

Initially, I was going to give it away, but I've spent some cash on getting it to this point (mainly ion the sound aspects), so will more than likely go the self publishing route. Not to pricey tho-but perhaps if enough people buy it I could go full time?

Keep checking back.

Old 04 April 2011   #58
http://www.stasisgame.com/medical-bay/

I have been busy with the first chapter of the game, which is full of ‘introduction areas’. More industrial places…train stations, tracks, elevator shafts. While its awesome to have these areas, because it really does build suspence, and give you the impression of going deeper into the ship-they can get a bit boring to build.
So, I jumped the gun a little, and went into the medical bays. These will be in the early parts of chapter 2, or the late parts of chapter 1, depending on a few story, and ‘flow’ related things….but trust me when I say that when you eventually get to the medical bays, they will be AWESOME.
Something thats rather difficult in a game like this, specifically one where the character is, for all purposes, alone, is how to get information across in an interesting way. For a while, I toyed around with the idea that there are some survivors on board that you find, and while I’m not discounting that entirely, to find survivors this early on in the game would really be counter productive to the atmosphere in the game. You are completely alone. You must FEEL completely alone.
Now there is also the computer terminals to get information…but thats a bit boring. This is Science Fiction dammit! Ships logs can be done in a pirate game. Its not unique enough to the genre! There ARE computer teriminals in STASIS but again, I really want to make them…different.
HOLOGRAMS.

There is a scene in Lost In Space, and Final Fantasy, where they are performing surgery through a holographic interface. Holograms just ‘go’ in Sci Fi-so if I can find a place to put them in STASIS, Im going to!
I thought about how beneficial it would be for a doctor to be able to record, in high detail, a surgery. Be able to walk around it, see what was done. Now imagine how scary that would be, if you discovered a recording of that surgery….when the patient wakes up, mid surgery, with nobody around them. I have a fear of hospitals, and waking up during surgery, so this was right up my ‘shit that creeps me out’ alley!
THE DESIGN

I first built the bed, with the surgical consoles and robotic arm thing hanging above it. The room was then built around the bed.
The ‘rays’ from the center of the room are channels to allow blood to flow into drainage systems under the room. The center ‘disk’ was originally supposed to rotate into place, but that just became way to memory intensive.
IS ANYONE THERE?
The actual surgery was built around something that I find…disturbing. Cutting a man in half, and having him complain that he cant feel his legs…having him plead to just let him walk out. I lined up the hologram so that the skeletons eyes are almost fixed on the PLAYER, and when the hologram turns his head it lines up with the skulls eye sockets. The effect is subtle, but adds to the disturbing nature.
Something to note is that from the surgical terminal, you will be able to call up different recordings. It will work through simple DIALOG tree system. Each recording will have some different information in it, be it ‘mission specific’ or just recordings that set the tone of the game.
A NOTE ON SOUND

The voice overs is again, me with a mic. Ill be looking for actual voice artists to do the voices, but for now we are stuck with my voice and pitch changes!
I have set up the sound tho that, I just have to replace the sound file, and the rest of the scene will play out no matter the length of that file. This helps, not only for replacing the sound with ‘actual’ actors voices, but also for localisation. If a sentence is longer, or shorter, the rest of the scene just dynamically adjusts itself to fit.
IN ACTION:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfKU...player_embedded

-Chris

Old 06 June 2011   #59
Been a while since Ive updated this thread....So here ya go.

Most updates are over at the blog : http://www.stasisgame.com/blog/

Old 08 August 2011   #60
Havent updated the thread in a while! Heres a ton of new screenshots, and info.

Here is an older screenshot. Not in the same style, but pretty cool to look back on.

And a revised intro to the story....:

“Daddy, please help us…”
Disoriented, drowsy, and in pain, John Maracheck opens his eyes. Nothing greets him, but the static of a nearby monitor, and a cold steel floor. Thick green liquid covers the floor and his body, leading to a nearby, steaming stasis-pod. He slowly gets to his feet, trying to take in his surroundings. Where is his wife? His daughter? What the hell is going on….?
What is STASIS?
Stasis is an adventure game, that puts you in control of John Maracheck. a man searching for his family, in a seemingly abandoned research facility. Going back to classic adventure game mechanics, you have to solve puzzles, and use objects around you to progress, and to find Marachecks family.
Graphically, Stasis is fairly unique in the adventure game genre, opting for highly detailed isometric graphics, as opposed to the more classic ‘side on’ views of other adventure games. Richly detailed rooms and fluid animations create an immersive environment for the player to explore, with danger lurking in every shadow.
The stasis-plug suit gives you direct access to an Emergency Medical Kit. A piece of equipment that has the ability to break down any object of a certain weight and size into its base elements, and store it for future use. While normally it is used to store small medical supplies, Maracheck uses it as an easy way to keep and transport found objects. Objects can be stored, accessed, combined, and brought back into the ‘real’ world at any moment.
At its core, Stasis is a story about an ordinary man, in an extraordinary situation.
Trapped in a place where humanities horrors come out to play, how far would you go to protect your family?
Welcome to The Groomlake. We know you will enjoy your stay.

Thread Closed share thread