STASIS - 2D Isometric Adventure Game

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 01 January 2011   #31
New video showing INVENTORY INTERACTION:

http://vimeo.com/18526920

Old 01 January 2011   #32
A look at how I've been designing the puzzle of STASIS, aswell as a look as a cool gadget that you will have at your disposal...

http://www.stasisgame.com/a-quick-look-at-puzzle-design

Old 02 February 2011   #33
The Groomlake:

Old 02 February 2011   #34
I got a little bored with just doing backend stuff, so I moved onto another area of the game. I suppose thats the advantage of being a one-man-army...when something gets boring, there are 400 other things to switch to!

Rapid Transport System.

The Groomlakes RTS is a series of trams that link areas of the half-kilometer long space ship together.
Throughout the chapters, Maracheck will be able to explore the ship in any way he wants, using the RTS. Certain areas pieces of the track will not be available immediately, either requiring security clearance, or some other way of bypassing it.

This is a Work In Progress shot of a standard boarding platform. The map on the right will show all the terminals that this specific tram can travel to. A 'YOU ARE HERE' board.

Old 02 February 2011   #35
This is some amazing looking stuff, Pyke. I've been keeping an eye on your progress for a while and have been very impressed. Loads of atmosphere in that artwork!

Old 02 February 2011   #36
I know, right? I still can't believe it's just a single person working on it and that it's actually a playable game in some way or another. It looks far too polished.

Old 02 February 2011   #37
Thanks guys. Its been a really fun project so far! Im working in the map for the Rapid Transport System. Its quite a bit more difficult than I thought to get something that looks functional-but still cool!
I was looking at the LCARS MDS graphics from Star Trek-and while they are awesome, when I look at the size of the ship Im doing (city sized!), its really quite difficult. Those all have awesome detail, that just get lost when I zoom out to 1280x720.

I think I have a cool idea tho...just need a few more hours of playing around to see if it will work!

Old 02 February 2011   #38
Love the new stuff and the video; very good at setting the mood (love the breathing and nothingness surrounding you). The render of the Groomlake is nice... I would buy a print of that.

Old 02 February 2011   #39
Thanks man. Breathing is me with a mic down my throat, and pitched waaaaaaaaaaaaay down. Im having a ton of fun doing the other aspects of the game, apart from 'just' the graphics. Dont know if i'm brave enough to tackle music....but you never know.

Old 02 February 2011   #40
Just posting to let you know the obvious; it's looking great

Old 02 February 2011   #41
Originally Posted by archerx: Just posting to let you know the obvious; it's looking great

Thanks mate! Mucho appreciated!

Old 02 February 2011   #42
Rapid Transport System…
Powered by ARROW.

The RTS is a tram system which allows easy access to different parts of the Groomlake.
The transport system is designed so that the player can have ‘freeform’ access to many different areas of the ship right from the start of the game. Now while the entire ship wont be accessable at the begining of the game you will have access to ‘mid deck’, which consistis of:
VIP Arrivals (the areas completed so far).
Mid Deck Infirmary (which will be decked out with all sorts of ‘lower use’ medical equipment. Mainly a small hospital for non serious injuries that civilians or other visitors may have when visiting The Groomlake)
Mid Deck Mess Hall (consisting of kitchens, prep areas, food, and possibly some forms of entertainment).
Mid Deck Information Centre (a museum of sorts where dignitaries can learn about The Groomlake).
And PLAZA A, PLAZA B, and PLAZA C-which have elevators and security checks to proceed to different areas of the ship.
Its important to note that the areas listed are just stations…so each station will have branches off to quite a few rooms, and may have other transport options available once in those areas. The RTS is sort of the major hub that connects things, with many minor options available to the player to get around. The tansport system platforms are essentially gateways to different pieces of the ship.

Access to the multiple areas of the ship really opens up the puzzle design. Items in the infirmary can be used to solve puzzles in the mess hall. There is a main single objective for the ‘mid level’, in this case, getting SECURITY LEVEL FOUR access to get to the control deck-but this isnt a ‘find the yellow key card’ type of game! All areas will have puzzles to solve, and areas to explore, that will not only open up the story, but also provide some awesome gamaplay opportunities.
When designing the map system, I took inspiration from subway maps of the major undergound subway ststems in the world. The system needs to look realistic. Like a subway system that could actually work.

GENERAL PROGRESS.

I have fully completed all the puzzle and game integration that leads us from the INNER AIRLOCK to the RTS PLATFORM. However, on a playthrough I’ve realised that the critical path is a little to direct. There arent enough obstacles in the captains way, so Im having a relook at a few elements in the levels. One additional area I am adding in between the Arrivals Hall and the Decon/Security Room is a ‘last stand.’ An area where a few crew members tried to make a final stand against…something. Welded doors, stacked boxes, mobile sentry guns…very ALIENS. Im taking a good look at properly integrating this into the current game, as its important that this doesnt feel ‘tacked on’. Im hoping this can be done with just some dialog links in the previous scenes, but may have to add some objects here and there, to really sell the idea.

On a side note, I really want to thank you guys for checking up on this project! It really is a labor of love on my part, and knowing that there are people out there following the progress really helps me push forward!

Old 02 February 2011   #43
Smile

It's amazing to see such dedication! Quality is amazing to. Keep up the good work

Last edited by finchy : 02 February 2011 at 12:31 PM.

Old 02 February 2011   #44
Thanks Andrew! I'm a really big fan of CODEMASTERS. Its awesome to know that some of their artists are taking a look at my humble little game.

Old 02 February 2011   #45
Coming along really nice! Can't wait to play it

Thread Closed share thread