Big Chunky Bastard

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

04 April 2007
Big Chunky Bastard (now with more lowpoly fun)

Having some DSish-spec fun:

300tris, 128x128 texture. Textured shots are at 80ish% self-illum. Still wip, but feel free to point out anything that jumps out at you. Shadow sat is getting reworked, especially the lower back.

Last edited by LoTekK : 04 April 2007 at 10:35 AM.

04 April 2007
wow, excellent lookign character for that low of poly. This could work on DS game im sure.

04 April 2007
That looks great Teck . Have you tried it with a different hair colour to get a little more pop up there? The high intenisty red is cool, but have to tried it with a slightlight richer colour (more of a blood red for example).

That is a rock solid 300 tris... damn thats low .

04 April 2007
Nice thread title And great work on this guy, extremely efficient stuff!

04 April 2007
Thanks guys. I'm just about ready to call this done for the moment. I've changed the hair color, but couldn't be arsed to redo the screengrabs+presentation. (I lied; new shots next post)

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i196/LoTekK/dude5.png
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i...TekK/dude5a.png
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i...TekK/dude5b.jpg

also did a quick fun pose:
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i196/LoTekK/dude4.png

Last edited by LoTekK : 04 April 2007 at 10:50 AM.

04 April 2007
Decided to have a little more fun with the textures, so I added some more asymmetry. Eyepatches ftw. :]

Pimpage with flats:

04 April 2007
I really like the models sillhouette, nice and chunky.

The texture looks really good, now that you've added a lot more detail.

04 April 2007
Nice one LoTekk, now go check out my Ferrari update in my sketchbook

The new version is tons better than the old but the heart-tattoo didn't read as such until I've stared at it for 5 minutes. Not sure if that's my fault or not though...

04 April 2007
Nah man, you're absolutely right, and you're not the first person to point that out to me. I hadn't noticed the legibility before, since I initially did it at 800% size, but after it was pointed out I definitely agree it's tough to read at handheld size. I'm gonna go with my original tat idea instead of the heart (the heart was partly out of laziness ).

Thanks for the comments and crits so far.

04 April 2007
Right, made some changes to address crits (changed the tat, fixed up some shadows, overall tweakage to the texture), and I'll get some screengrabs once windows decides to stop being pissy about the clipboard. o_O

Started another lowpoly model in the meantime, this time attempting to stick to 4-bit color. Still very wip, and I'll be toning down the harsh black lines.

Don't mind the square wheels, Silo doesn't do alpha transparency (that I'm aware of, anyway). 160 tris at the mo, 128x64 texture. I'm considering alphaing out the glassy bits and adding a simple interior since I have both tris and a bit of texture space to spare (that would likely kill any realistic hope of 4-bit color though).

04 April 2007
love the thread title
he's really living up to the name

04 April 2007
These things are just too much fun. Ok, managed to get a couple posed screengrabs of the big chunky bastard:

Also worked a little more on the Fiat. I think I maybe got a little carried away I'll probably have to tone the yellow down a tad, if only so i can place highlights that can actually be seen

edit: Better shot with alpha:

Last edited by LoTekK : 04 April 2007 at 07:34 PM.

05 May 2007
Finally got around to redoing the uvs and texture on the Fiat. Essentially done, I reckon. 188 tris including the 1-quad shadow.

edit: I lied. Added the exhaust for 4 tris, bringing the total to 192 tris.

Additional shot, with monochrome vert lighting:

Last edited by LoTekK : 05 May 2007 at 12:22 PM.

05 May 2007
I say, that looks quite nice! A few suggestions: use some of the empty space to make a proper shadow for the car, this one is very harsh or add a vertex in the middle of the quad that is black and then have it fade out to the edges. You are probably better off doing a small radialish gradient in the wheel well. Second, maybe you could use a dark grey or something else dark instead of using pure black, it makes it a liiiiiittle bit muddy. I know the black is used all over so it might not be possible but eh, that's my 2 cents You're definitely living up to your name btw

05 May 2007
The "black" is actually a high-sat, low-value blue. :] I was considering at some point dropping an extra vert in the middle of the shadow, but forgot about it at some point, I'll try that, danke. There is actually a bit of variation to the shadow, but there weren't a whole lot of pixels available to work with (that little rectangle near the windshield is the shadow, which fades out at the edges). I'll see what I can do.

Originally Posted by urgaffel: You're definitely living up to your name btw

Woot, I knew the handle would come in handy someday.

Thread Closed share thread