Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 09-29-2013, 05:22 AM   #1
deohboeh
Veteran

portfolio
Dev Bhattacharya
Ahmedabad, India

WIP: Human Anatomy Self Learning

I am learning zbrush and character modeling by myself and need some help and guidance regarding the anatomy and the aesthetics...
This guy is meant to be a viking.. I haven't clothed him yet.. I want to get his body right first..
After sculpting he will be rigged and animated in UDK.
Precise critique is much appreciated..

P.S.: Some portions arent smooth as i made some changes and will smooth it out now and the bottom half is a different sub tool for detailing the top half which will be seen.

Last edited by deohboeh : 09-29-2013 at 06:31 AM.

Old 10-21-2013, 03:48 AM   #2
simpletwig
portfolio
Nicholas Buccalo
Principal
SimpleTwig Rendering
Brooklyn, United States Minor Outlying Islands

really good if you're just learning anatomy.

My suggestions are:
Legs: I think thigh protrudes too much near the knee. The back of the legs are too sculpted. The outter ankle is too low and perhaps protrudes a bit too much. The buttocks should have a cavity on the outer side of the cheeks.

Torso and shoulders are too sculpted for a Viking imo. I know you mentioned smoothing but as your example stands this guy looks like a body builder more than someone on a Viking diet.

Toes, most of the time they're touching one another... maybe make them fatter?

I only wish I could model this well, but I do know anatomy as I studied like the great artist did. I started by drawing and studying bone structure first, then muscle. But you should look at Bernini's sculptures to get yourself past just a knowledge of muscle disposition and how he rendered skin while retaining an underlying muscle and skeleton structure.

Great job and hope to see more.

Old 10-22-2013, 09:04 AM   #3
deohboeh
Veteran

portfolio
Dev Bhattacharya
Ahmedabad, India

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpletwig
really good if you're just learning anatomy.

My suggestions are:
Legs: I think thigh protrudes too much near the knee. The back of the legs are too sculpted. The outter ankle is too low and perhaps protrudes a bit too much. The buttocks should have a cavity on the outer side of the cheeks.

Torso and shoulders are too sculpted for a Viking imo. I know you mentioned smoothing but as your example stands this guy looks like a body builder more than someone on a Viking diet.

Toes, most of the time they're touching one another... maybe make them fatter?

I only wish I could model this well, but I do know anatomy as I studied like the great artist did. I started by drawing and studying bone structure first, then muscle. But you should look at Bernini's sculptures to get yourself past just a knowledge of muscle disposition and how he rendered skin while retaining an underlying muscle and skeleton structure.

Great job and hope to see more.

Thank you soo much!! I have been waiting for this for a long time! This is my first character model and I dont have any person to bounce my work off of..
I realize he is starting to look like a bodybuilder maybe because of all the references...

I am going to start putting some skin and fat on him, and tone down some muscles.
Yeah! I am finding Bernini's sculptures quite informative! Gonna check more classical sculptures from now on.. Thanks again!

Old 10-22-2013, 02:29 PM   #4
simpletwig
portfolio
Nicholas Buccalo
Principal
SimpleTwig Rendering
Brooklyn, United States Minor Outlying Islands

sure no problem.

It also depends on what you're end goals are, but considering your model is realistic in proportion I think my comments are relevant. Good luck.

Old 10-22-2013, 02:29 PM   #5
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread