some question about the workflow when making objects for games

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 08 August 2013   #1
some question about the workflow when making objects for games

Hi all,

I'm making a sci-fi submarine that I want to be able to use for games. I have search all over for these questions but I can't find the exact answer I'm looking for. I read a thread about making models ready for games but its almost 10 years old, so I'm not sure the info is still useful.

I have made my high res submarine in 3ds max and I want to take it in to zbrush for some details that I want to use for a normal map. Then I want to take the sub back to max for making the low poly model there along with the uv-map, then back to zbrush for painting.

I have made the submarine of multiple components, and I have read in the 10 years old thread that it should be one mesh and no lose edges, does that still count and does it mean that I have to attach all the things so I only have one object? I have made some propellers that I want to animate wouldn't that be difficult if its all just one object? Or does it mean that I have to merge the objects together to make one single mesh with welding the vertices?

And again if I take it in to zbrush for make the normal map would I encounter problems if I have subtools ?

I really hope u can help me here direct me in the right direction.

-Brian

Old 08 August 2013   #2
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread