Old 01-18-2013, 06:46 PM   #1
craffaelli
3D Artist & illustrator

portfolio
Claudio Raffaelli
Character artist
Mississauga, Canada

Send a message via MSN to craffaelli
Gameloft's art test susmision (need some feedback from the comunity)

Hello everybody!

I did this port scene (attached images) as an art test for Gameloft Montreal and even though I didn't pass to the next round of interviews, I'd like to share the images for feedback from the community given the fact that Gameloft doesn't give feedback on why they choose not to continue with the candidature.

Polybudget is 3.500 tris, only diffuse colors and no lights only lightmaps and vertex color lighting ( although you will find two of the images are rendered because they asked for additional renders of the scene)

I'd love to hear critiques and feedback from you son that I can have more tools to do abetter job next time

Thanks for any help!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wireframe1.jpg (95.3 KB, 121 views)
File Type: jpg Cam1.jpg (93.8 KB, 106 views)
File Type: jpg Cam3.jpg (92.3 KB, 90 views)

Old 01-23-2013, 10:53 AM   #2
rob-beddall
Springwood Slasher

portfolio
rob beddall
Artist - Rare
Derby, United Kingdom

hey,

Good to see that you are actually asking what's wrong with your work and trying to learn...

here are my crits...

1. the sub dividing of the floor seems a little random and erratic. from the screen shot i can't really work out why it's sub divided in some of the places that it is.
eg. it mainly quads but then you'll weld a load of verts points into a corner. you probably didnt even need the sub divisions in the first place.

2. the textures look a little bland. most noticeable is the floor. could you have used dirt overlays? also the containers could do with looking less flat. maybe more dirt or colour variation / gradients to make it more interesting to look at. the crane cabin stands out especially.

3. the boat needs more poly's. i know the budget is pretty tight but the 'bridge' of the ship is literally a cube. this stands out.

4. the lighting could possibly be a little more dramatic. there are large parts of the scene that are in total darkness. these need to be illuminated by something. also, more colour in the lighting and shadows would be nice.

5. what looks to be a visible seam on the side of the boat

Old 01-25-2013, 09:53 PM   #3
icantthinkofaname
portfolio
Tom
Brisbane, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by craffaelli
Hello everybody!

I did this port scene (attached images) as an art test for Gameloft Montreal and even though I didn't pass to the next round of interviews, I'd like to share the images for feedback from the community given the fact that Gameloft doesn't give feedback on why they choose not to continue with the candidature.

Polybudget is 3.500 tris, only diffuse colors and no lights only lightmaps and vertex color lighting ( although you will find two of the images are rendered because they asked for additional renders of the scene)

I'd love to hear critiques and feedback from you son that I can have more tools to do abetter job next time

Thanks for any help!

I have noticed that you have many tris on your first image, since gameloft makes games on mobile they need to be extremly efficient and use minimal tris,n-gons etc... The texturing can definitely be improved add scratches etc...The poles of your third image simply look like a cylinder no details. Also in your second image it looks like there are strange seams.
Here are some images from some of there mobile games;
Modern Combat 4: Zero hour
1. http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-fy0_njBzr...hone-ipad-1.jpg

2. http://www.jayceooi.com/wp-content/...4-Zero-Hour.jpg

3. http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-48m03V1HX...DD_05142012.PNG

Try and reach this level of fidelity, I'm sure you can and hope you get the job (or better) at a later time

Old 01-27-2013, 06:08 AM   #4
robin
Will code C++ for food

Beware that Gameloft doesn't use your file/work/texture, once your done with your test.

They are known to ask art test to be submitted to them only to "disappear" and never be heard again.

Good luck.

Old 02-12-2013, 07:09 AM   #5
RmachucaA
Sr. Designer
portfolio
Ricardo
Senior Vis. Designer
Teague Design Studios
Seattle, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by robin
Beware that Gameloft doesn't use your file/work/texture, once your done with your test.

They are known to ask art test to be submitted to them only to "disappear" and never be heard again.

Good luck.

x2, and not only for gameloft but in general.

As for crit, my main one would be the same as the previous poster, the mesh density on the ground seems to be a bit strange. Efficiency is key here.

PS: Took a look at your 'folio, its a bit thin and too general. Focus one one thing that you like to do and do well, then use that to fill your portfolio.

Last edited by RmachucaA : 02-12-2013 at 07:13 AM.

Old 02-12-2013, 07:09 AM   #6
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread