Making of: Zyrusil Ordane

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 09 September 2012   #1
Making of: Zyrusil Ordane

Hey everyone! I've been playing around with Zbrush for the past few months now, however this is my third week in with actually doing anything productive.

As of now I've been working on a 3d model of my original character "Zyrusil Ordane". After I sculpt the body, I'll continue on with the armour. The armour is something special; it represents six months of tweaking, drawing and re-drawing, and over five years of armour research, design and creation.

There's an entire thread dedicated to it over at the Armour Archive (which is an amazing community that has a plethora resources for those needing to know about the specifics of historic armour.)

But in the meantime, say hello to the bearer of Pheonix Dawn. I present to you - Zyrusil Ordane.

First screenshots: http://imgur.com/a/WzXx3

My goal in life is to become one of the greatest artists the world has ever seen; whether it takes a few strokes of a brush, or dying the next cloak I make with my own blood.

Last edited by Zetheros : 09 September 2012 at 07:39 AM.

Old 09 September 2012   #2
Hair in progress!

Last edited by Zetheros : 09 September 2012 at 05:01 AM.

Old 09 September 2012   #3
First screenshots before I flatten all of the hairballs. He looks ridiculous - I know

Old 09 September 2012   #4
Turned off polymesh.

Old 09 September 2012   #5
Messing around with eyeballs!

I have a question; how do I drag the eyeball into place? It's made of three parts, and I'm not sure if I need to use transpose master, or if there's a different method. Thanks.

Another question. BPR turns itself off after I click the screen, would there be a way to ensure that it does not turn off when I want to click on the screen to move the model, draw, etc - or is this not possible?

Last edited by Zetheros : 09 September 2012 at 06:02 AM.

Old 09 September 2012   #6
Well, the eyeballs are in place just from using alt+Move and a bit of rotational transpose... I'm sure there's an easier and faster way, anyone have a hint?

Anyway, I'm about finished with the basic shape of his hair. Just a few tweaks required and he'll have that adventurer/warrior mojo. It's pretty much the same kind of hairstyle that I'm growing, so that I'll look similar to the character once I'm in full plate armour...

Another question; when I toggle BPR when I have the hair 'visible', the loading bar takes forever! Is that normal? I have enough RAM and everything.

Oh yeah! If anyone wants to offer me an internship or something, it'd be much appreciated (Pixar; please? ). I have an entire world - an entire vision - to share, but I'm still acquiring the spells and boosting my talent points to project it to the mundane.

Endnotes:

I found out that balling up the hair was a waste of time (but making the polymesh was not!) Just use the 'groom hair long' and 'groom hair strong' brushes to get the basic shape, and tweak the edges a bit if you want to replicate my results. Spray on a bit of highlight and it looks pretty good...LONG AND STRONG GROOOOOOOOM!!!

I'll be doing eyebrows next, and you, the audience, are a quiet bunch... Heck, I know of a small armouring forum that makes more noise!

Last edited by Zetheros : 09 September 2012 at 07:20 AM.

Old 09 September 2012   #7
If I were part French or part Anonymous, then maybe. Chinese stock doesn't hold much in the way of facial hair.

Haha, most definitely not.

That was easy! Gotta make sure to hit the 'fast preview' button at the bottom otherwise you'll keep churning out miniature brooms. Here we are.

I've started to notice that I'm getting close to the 'uncanny valley'... something's not right here.

Maybe he needs nose hair?

Last edited by Zetheros : 09 September 2012 at 08:13 AM.

Old 10 October 2012   #8
It's been awhile since I last posted; I've been pretty preoccupied with life. I've also been working on an entirely new model just to improve my skill at drawing the human form while learning more Zbrush techniques.

Last edited by Zetheros : 10 October 2012 at 10:11 PM.

Old 10 October 2012   #9

Old 10 October 2012   #10
Sculpting my face is probably the most difficult project that I've undertook with Zbrush... I had to take side and front pictures, load them in Spotlight for proportional reference. It's still not 100% correct or finished, but it's a terrific 'base' for the details to come.

Last edited by Zetheros : 10 October 2012 at 03:18 AM.

Old 10 October 2012   #11
Haha, this is so freaking surreal.

Last edited by Zetheros : 10 October 2012 at 05:31 AM.

Old 10 October 2012   #12
"Kings. Heroes. Angels...and demons. Gods. Galaxies. All shall turn to...ash." -Zyrusil Ordane

The human face is infinitely complex. One minuscule alteration can transform one human to another...

Last edited by Zetheros : 10 October 2012 at 12:06 PM.

Old 11 November 2012   #13

Old 11 November 2012   #14

Yes, I am making all of this IRL, with historical techniques and materials.

Last edited by Zetheros : 11 November 2012 at 02:53 AM.

Old 12 December 2012   #15

Twitter

Thread Closed share thread