iOS Racing Game Demo

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 08 August 2012   #1
iOS Racing Game Demo

Well I've finally got a functional demo I can show to folks. This is running smoothly on my iPhone 3GS. The vehicle physics seem to be working well, all GUI elements are scaling to non-retina resolution properly, so I'm pretty happy so far. Next up is proper environment art, implementing AI and LODs for AI.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...d&v=8vv8K_XQeDA

Old 08 August 2012   #2
That looks good. Will it work on the iPad also?

Old 08 August 2012   #3
Yes, it sure will. Only modification for iPad is scripting in recognition of the device and having the script properly place and size all of the UI elements.

Old 09 September 2012   #4
This is an in-progress asset for my Race Demo project. It's roughly a 1965 Ford Falcon. I say roughly because it's markings have been stripped and it's been modified to not be identical to the original vehicle. The vehicle is 1,890 triangles, so well within my 2,000 triangle budget for all of the vehicles. I am putting this vehicle in the game for my old buddy Brian (Ford Falcon owner).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3I_cLAhOjYk&feature=plcp

Old 10 October 2012   #5
An update to my iOS endless racer game I've been working on. The menu system is nearly completed. The frame rate is due to the Camtasia screen capture and is not the actual performance on device.

Racing Game Demo - Menu and Level Unlock System - YouTube

Old 11 November 2012   #6
Started work on the vehicle selection screen today. Nothing fancy just a cool retro car sitting on a platform.

Last edited by JamesArndt : 02 February 2013 at 02:24 PM.

Old 11 November 2012   #7
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddpm...=1&feature=plcp

This is a small update to the AI traffic vehicles in my Unity Race Demo project. I've implemented plugging in the wheelCollider data into the AI script. Now I can control the brakeTorque aspect of the wheelColliders when a raycast in front of the vehicle detects a collider with the tag of "AI". You'll notice that my large "white cube" truck will detect the red cubes in the roadway (represents obstacles or other AI) and will hit the brakes. Once the object moves out of range it will then begin accelerating again.

It's getting there, not entirely aware or intelligent yet, but it will be soon.

Old 02 February 2013   #8
UPDATED:

Finished the concepts/layouts for outdoor Track 2 (A-F configs) for Super Kart Racing. These are concepts for the first outdoor track featured in the game. Want to learn more about the game? Visit www.superkartracing.com

Old 02 February 2013   #9
Hi James:

My opinion this real world physics racer will be a winner reflecting your professional background & experience eg:

- Asset content

- Environments

- Game play... etc

a) Will you implement vehicle mesh deformation for future iterations/updates once released to IOS/Android stores?

b) Are there plans to utilize monetization streams such as inapp/micro transactions?

c) What are your thoughts on retention rates for the casual mobile gamer excluding the core racing audience this game will initially capture?

d) Was your choice of toolset to develop this project based on proprietary software developer fees incurred post release or logic based?

Myself as a novice aspiring to enter the mobile gaming space it brings into sharp focus the level of aptitude a industry professional brings to the table.

Cheers:))

P.S Im also ex-military, Army 2nd CavalryRecon

Last edited by sacboi : 02 February 2013 at 09:41 AM.

Old 02 February 2013   #10
@sakboi - Okay to answer some of your questions.

Asset content -Yes I plan on asset content that will be high quality for mobile. I was a developer on multiple Need for Speed games, so I know good visual fidelity.

Environments - An ample amount both indoor and outdoor tracks. Will also be very high visual fidelity with baked in lighting via lightmaps and simulated real time lighting on the karts using light probes in Unity.

Game play - This will be the most time consuming aspect. Endless tweaking of physics settings, track length and width, obstacles, barriers, AI, etc. It all comes down to the fun factor being in each and every track.

1.) Will you implement vehicle mesh deformation for future iterations/updates once released to IOS/Android stores?

Answer: I have no plans to do mesh deformation on the karts for these game. Maybe in future games, but it's just an expense I don't see the benefit of in this project.

2.) Are there plans to utilize monetization streams such as inapp/micro transactions?

Answer: Yep! I plan to use IAPs for most of the monetization of this game. Will include new environments, new kart models, new customization decals, etc.

3.) What are your thoughts on retention rates for the casual mobile gamer excluding the core racing audience this game will initially capture?

Answer: I think releasing any game with a high level of polish, a high level of replay value (via it's fun factor and multiplayer aspects) will result in good retention rates. Consistent updates for bug fixes or new features will help with retention as well.

4.) Was your choice of toolset to develop this project based on proprietary software developer fees incurred post release or logic based?

Answer: The costs incurred for development software were something I absorbed Feb 2010, when I first started up fatBOX software and purchased the Mac hardware and Unity Game Engine. I was already a long time owner and user of 3DS Max and Photoshop. Those are the only costs I absorbed up front. The cost of plugins for Unity (for multiplayer), Android testing hardware will be absorbed from funding from the Indiegogo campaign for Super Kart Racing.

Hope I gave thorough answers! If you want to contribute and be part of this process look in my profile signature and follow the link to the Indiegogo development campaign. Thank you for taking the time to ask me these questions, it's always good info to know.

Last edited by JamesArndt : 02 February 2013 at 11:18 PM.

Old 02 February 2013   #11
Hi James:

Thankyou for your concise and detailed answers - it is a rare opportunity for me to pose questions to a developer that has industry experience the incites gained will prove invaluable in terms of my own project:

Goodluck with the indiegogo campaign in hitting your funding target - I will contribute once funds become available, again thankyou:

Cheers:))

Old 02 February 2013   #12
sakboi - Well glad you got some useful info. I like to talk about it too, it helps me kind of solidify my own thoughts.

Old 02 February 2013   #13
If you like my idea with Super Kart Racing, please help out by visiting the campaign..even $5 helps. It will all help make this a reality.Thank you so much for the encouraging words.

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/328140/x/2305754

Old 02 February 2013   #14
I'm in the Number #2 slot this morning under US Gaming campaigns! They base it on the amount of hits your page gets and the pace at which you receive contributions. If you haven't checked it out yet or supported me in it, please consider it this morning!

Super Kart Racing Development Campaign on Indiegogo

Old 02 February 2013   #15
Hit that $1,000 mark this morning! Help me take this campaign all the way! Reaching out to my fellow Unity developers or anyone who is into making games!

Super Kart Racing - iOS and Android Game | Indiegogo

Thread Closed share thread