Art deco Streamliner

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 05 May 2012   #1
Art deco Streamliner

Long time no post. I've been going through a 1940's period with my personal work lately so here's an Art Deco styled steam engine. Mainly taken from the Hudson 490 C & O train. It will start evolving though as work continues.

Old 06 June 2012   #2
I really like the style and the direction this is going.
Would love to see the interior.

CookieBE

Old 06 June 2012   #3
Thanks, the interior will begin later this week. I had a few days of a break and now am working on trying to get my materials for the exterior 100% right. Will post more soon.

Old 06 June 2012   #4
THis is amazing. What are you using mud box for? Just adding a bit of the aging on the actual model itself?

Mesh Warping in Shake Macro
The Sandbox - all CG short film from 2005

Old 06 June 2012   #5
Hi boboroshi,

Yes Mudbox was used to add subtle weathering/damage to the panels along with some dents. The main goal was to break up the perfectly straight edges seen in the Maya high poly model. The reference I found for this type of panelling had worn edges so it was an attempt at recreating that.

For this asset I wanted to keep it as realistic as possible there are some elements that were emphasised a bit. It's very easy to go crazy in a sculpting package this exercise was one in restraint.

There are a lot of subtle details and touches that were a lot of work for something small but once I get this bad boy in a scene it'll be worth it

Old 06 June 2012   #6
Ver cool. Just started to play with the mudbox trial. Haven't done much with sculpting before (more traditional arch viz) but looking at your work I definitely see a place for it in the workflow.

Old 06 June 2012   #7
One thing I forgot to mention is that any locomotive, especially in this era, still had a tender car immediately behind it. Oil, coal, or wood fired all look different. Was just reminded of this visiting the Railway Museum in Sacramento.

is an example of an oil tender.

After that you'd start with the coaches, etc.

Old 06 June 2012   #8
True this train also had it. I left it out initially as this was for a course assignment. Now that's over I can add it in with the assets I have.

Mudbox can be very useful for creating detailed assets quickly. This time round I did not do much with it. I'll make up for that later.

Old 06 June 2012   #9
Very cool! Great work and looking forward to seeing where you take it.

Old 06 June 2012   #10
I've only started the interior for the train I've been working on. Here's where tonight leaves it. I'm intending to texture the high-poly fully and bake the maps directly from that .... for fun of course. Designing as I go so changes are likely.

Old 07 July 2012   #11
More interior goodness. I've managed to get some time in on this over the last two weekends. For a change I've went with modelling and texturing the high poly in Maya. I'll now bake it to a lower res mesh and continue texturing in PS. After that I'll need door frames, lights, bag racks and other interior assets to finish it off.

Old 09 September 2012   #12
Here's an update on what I've been up to in my spare SPARE time. This is the low poly interior. Seats and additional assets to decorate the train are in production. For now except for some seam and lightmap issues it's all going well enough. Material tweaks are also likely.

Shots from UDK

Old 10 October 2012   #13
Your materials look amazing. Keep up the good work!

Old 01 January 2013   #14
Thanks Shizor,

I've decided to wrap this asset up for now and present it. The train will still be used in an upcoming environment produced throughout 2013. Overall I'm happy with the results and have learned a bit so on to the next challenge

More images can be found here as not to spam the thread.

http://www.antodonnell.com/art_deco_train.html

Also on my CG Society folio here:

http://antodonnell.cgsociety.org/gallery/

Old 01 January 2013   #15
Oh wow your work is gordgeous. My only question for you is if you actually intended for the hull of the engine to look as though it were turning concave between the ribs.

edit: After noticing the picture I can see why you did that. The panels on the real engine actually does look a little dented inward.

Last edited by trancerobot : 01 January 2013 at 11:26 PM.

Thread Closed share thread