What Tablet should I use for being an animator?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

08 August 2017
What Tablet should I use for being an animator?

(I asked for this topic to be deleted but Oglu thinks it could be useful to others. Which explains his second comment )

I'm thinking of getting into the animation industry. What tablet would you recommend I use and what software

Last edited by enzed : 08 August 2017 at 07:15 AM.

08 August 2017
a wacom... 

08 August 2017
why should we delete a valid question and answer..?
this could help others in the future...

08 August 2017
There is no "right" answer here. I will just say this.

Wacom tablets have a reputation for quality drivers, sturdy builds, and top notch support. Other manufacturers such as Huion, Ugee, & Monoprice offer solid alternatives, but your mileage may vary. Some users complain about incompatibilities or other such issues. This happens far less with Wacom products, imo. That said, for straight up regular graphics tablets, the non-Wacom alternatives HAVE gotten loads better over the years. You can probably save a few bucks if that's an issue.

For pen monitors, however, Wacom's Cintiq line still rules the roost. Those other guys make their versions, but there are lots of complaints. Chief among them...

1. Flimsy plastic-y feel to the build. Wacom Cintiq hardware is built like a tank. The alternatives, reportedly, feel a little cheaply made and often come in at only half the weight, which is not a great thing if you've got your hand pressed up against the screen for hours on end.

2. Glare is much more of an issue with these non-Wacom pen monitors. Cintiq screens aren't exactly matte, but do offer up some anti-glare protection, which is great if you're in a room with a light to your back.

3.  The non-Wacom screens also (reportedly) tend to be more glassy. That can affect the way your pen glides across the screen. Cintiqs don't quite have the paper-like feel of their non-screen Intuos line, but there's still some resistance, which is much appreciated when drawing.

4. Some non-Cintiq users have also reported extreme levels of parallax. The glass over the screen is far enough on some of those builds where it feels as if your pen is practically floating fractions of an inch too much. Parallax can make it tough to gauge your strokes or pen positioning. 

5. Then there's the issue of "creature comforts". When you spend 1/2 the price of a Cintiq, you sometimes get half the features. Some of this off-brand pen screens are pretty no frills. Fewer or no user customizable hot keys. Cheaper stands. No VESA mounts. Battery operated pens with no erasers. ETC and so on. You might save on money, but that might be because you're just getting the bare minimum in terms of features.

6. The screens also vary in quality. Some look big enough, but only offer 720p instead of full 1080p. Those that do offer full HD can sometimes do so, but with terrible view angle, brightness/contrast, or color range. Be careful.

7. Driver support is almost always an issue with non-Cintiq pen screens. If you don't have the exact right OS/hardware combo then you could spend weeks sorting out issues, if at all. To make matters worse, because some of these manufacturers are from China or Japan, the documentation and support has been known to be fairly spotty. Be very careful.

I would say... If this is your very first tablet.... Go for a more newbie friendly Wacom Bamboo. You can generally get one for about $100, which minimizes your risk. Intuos models are more expensive and can come in larger sizes, but you don't want to get in over your head for your first tablet. A Wacom will typically last you for years, even the somewhat less feature laden Bamboo models.

Learn on a Bamboo. if you feel that you need something bigger, move up to the Intuos when you're more proficient and the budget allows. If you need to go full on hardcore, plus have the wallet and skills to back that up, then you can spend the $2k+ on a Cintiq.

Over the years, I've owned only Wacom tablets. Among them... ArtZ-II, Intuos 1, Intuos 2, Intuos 4, Cintiq 12wx, & Cintiq 22HD (my current). All of them have been excellent. Not a single dud in the bunch. I swear by Wacom tablets and with good reason. Quality all around.

09 September 2017
I used to be all wacom, but lately I have paired it with an ipad pro and apple pencil, hooking it up with astropad when I needed a full version of PS. Have been able to do suprisingly much work that way, and always had the sketchpad with me

2 Weeks Ago
Originally Posted by Alice: I used to be all wacom, but lately I have paired it with an ipad pro and apple pencil, hooking it up with astropad when I needed a full version of PS. Have been able to do suprisingly much work that way, and always had the sketchpad with me

Sounds great! I'll give it a try!

Last edited by jayfox : 1 Week Ago at 07:04 AM.

reply share thread