May 2016 - Felipe Rio Branco

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

05 May 2016
May 2016 - Felipe Rio Branco

Hi

Here is my first rough concept. I wanted to focus on the size and scale of the space elevator, so I thought of doing an aerial view.

Again, emphasis on the sheer size and what it would take to anchor this structure to the ground. I will expand the complex surrounding the elevator with more buildings and populate the entire scene with taller buildings and add a more futuristic feel to the city

I will be posting other concepts soon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg concept.jpg (90.1 KB, 41 views)

Last edited by friobranco : 05 May 2016 at 05:06 PM.

05 May 2016
I really struggle to attach photos in here, they have to be so small

05 May 2016
Originally Posted by friobranco: I really struggle to attach photos in here, they have to be so small

Nice start man, love the angle and placement of the shot!

And yeah I have the same problem, it really sucks as I liked the previous image uploading they had before the site upgraded.

05 May 2016

WIP_v02

Working with a few shapes, trying to get perspective and scale right. The shot is pretty high up so I will have to give up a lot of detail

05 May 2016
Nice! I like your "aerial" approach.
When i look at it I think it could look cool if you would build some crazy twisted intersection of highways whirling around the elevator. Just a thought .

Regards
Jonatan

05 May 2016
Thanks man. Yeah I need to modify the city a bit so it looks more futuristic. Too bad about the tilt shift effect in the photo, I'm going to have to crop it slightly to get rid of some the blurring

05 May 2016
Looking good.

05 May 2016
This is how far I am now, working on the area surrounding the elevator but it still needs a lot of work.

Entertaining the idea of adding a second elevator to the background, if I have time. I think it will bring the whole piece together.

WIP_v03

05 May 2016
Worked on the second elevator. Cropped the image slightly at the bottom and left side to get rid of some of the blurring

Decided to do one that's under construction... maybe a nation that is rising and becoming powerful enough to also build a second elevator...?

WIP_V04

Last edited by friobranco : 05 May 2016 at 08:22 AM.

05 May 2016
Dmp

The elevator progress is good. What are you planning to do in order to get the environment to the same level of design? I think you should create a balanced visual language across your frame.

Originally Posted by friobranco:
WIP_V04

05 May 2016
Thanks Milan

That's the challenge with such a wide shot like this I guess, there is a lot of detail to add and take care of. I was thinking of adding larger apartment blocks (similar to the ones from the movie Dredd) and/or industrial buildings

05 May 2016
Worked a bit on the city, filling it in so it seems more dense in certain parts.

Added some modern buildings (reference to the buildings in the new Dredd). Since war is the new sport, each city district has one of these buildings, kind of the local training grounds and the soldiers live and train there.

Want to add one or two more of these buildings and have some grading to do to blend them in a bit better.

WIP_05

05 May 2016
Looks good so far Felipe, I like the buildings you have added, i think keeping the new smaller buildings a lighter value and maybe darkening the large buildings even more will play the values against each other and make them pop out.

05 May 2016
Nice progress with adding those buildings.

05 May 2016
Yes! Nice progress indeed I like your idea about the second elevator in the construction. Design of the elevator itself also pleases my eyes .

As for room for improvements... looks like in some areas light direction is a bit inconsistent - in most of the field it comes from the left but on the trees close to the elevatror - from the right. Also elevator seems to be a bit too dark in comparison to the rest of the scene. But overall I really like your vision . Keep it up!

Regards
Jonatan

reply share thread