January 2015 - Dylan Pierpont

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  01 January 2015
January 2015 - Dylan Pierpont

Alrighty! Finally got a chance to jump in this month. I'm still very new to matte painting and architecture is especially challenging for me, so this should be a fun experiment

I'm leaning towards #1 at the moment. I'll probably have to change the skyline a bit to really layer in the buildings. I do like how #3 opens up the scene a bit more though, and adds some foreground elements on the bottom of the frame. So maybe a marriage of the two idea would be a nice compromise.



Thanks for checking in! Looking forward to seeing everyone else's solutions!

-Dylan
 
  01 January 2015
They all look really good to me! If I had to pick one it would be number 3, it just works on so many levels. Really awesome sketches!
__________________
www.artstation.com/artist/aaron-mc
 
  01 January 2015
Thanks, Aaron! I think I might do that. Keep the bulk of the comp in 3, and pepper in elements from 1. I really need to address the right most vanishing point of the street. Kinda just terminates into nothing really, haha. Might have that street turn a corner or something instead.
 
  01 January 2015
Nice job Dylan, I too like number 3, as for the street terminating, streets in london in the new part are gridded layout, however in the old parts you nice curving bends. Think the curving bend may help you out. Nice use of light as well.
__________________
Rockhopper VFX

@Rockhoppermedia
 
  01 January 2015
The London bridge in your first sketch would be great to have in any option you choose, it really helps reinforce the perspective too, and push scale a lot!

Speaking about the perspective its very awkward in this plate because practically every building converges to a different VP. I just worked mine off the main building which seemed to work to some extent then just fiddled with the transform on a few buildings in the far distance which helped.
__________________
www.artstation.com/artist/aaron-mc
 
  01 January 2015
@Richard: Awesome, thanks for the tip. You and Aaron know better than most of us how the cities are laid out. Appreciate it!

@Aaron: I agree, I'd like to keep the bridge. It's such an iconic shape for that part of the world and helps to reinforce the setting. I had to double check my dates just to be sure that it was constructed pre-1887 (started 1824) so we're all good Good call on the vanishing points. I'll be sure to keep that in mind moving forward.
 
  01 January 2015
Originally Posted by DylanPierpont: @Richard: Awesome, thanks for the tip. You and Aaron know better than most of us how the cities are laid out. Appreciate it!

@Aaron: I agree, I'd like to keep the bridge. It's such an iconic shape for that part of the world and helps to reinforce the setting. I had to double check my dates just to be sure that it was constructed pre-1887 (started 1824) so we're all good Good call on the vanishing points. I'll be sure to keep that in mind moving forward.

haha clever! I wouldn't even have thought about it. But I think I must disappoint you...
I was a little confused because I just went to the tower bridge exhibition this year and I remembered a different number: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tower_Bridge#Construction
I don't know what your sources are but according to this the construction started in 1887 and went on for 8 years...

Your thumbs itself look great already, my favorite is #3 too.
 
  01 January 2015
Originally Posted by kire: haha clever! I wouldn't even have thought about it. But I think I must disappoint you...
I was a little confused because I just went to the tower bridge exhibition this year and I remembered a different number: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tower_Bridge#Construction
I don't know what your sources are but according to this the construction started in 1887 and went on for 8 years...

Your thumbs itself look great already, my favorite is #3 too.


GGaahh!! Blast you internet, fooled me again! Haha. I just did a quick google search for "London Bridge Construction" and came up with March 15th, 1824

TOWER Bridge on the other hand, like you said, started construction around 1886-1887. My foolish american mind thought the two titles were interchangeable :/

Boy! You learn something new everyday. Thanks Erik! Haha
 
  01 January 2015
I like the first one the most, the grading is nice, fees very cinematic and the air feels dirty from all the chimneys and factories that would be pumping out smog during this period.

I also like the lighting you have coming off camera from the street on the left in the second concept, contrasted against the darker mid-ground building, it adds another layer of depth.

The sky in the third is nice too, very gloomy and imposing, I like the foreground elements in the first and second too, that foreground piece in the first one pushes your eye into the canvas which is good.
 
  01 January 2015
Originally Posted by Drewsen: I like the first one the most, the grading is nice, fees very cinematic and the air feels dirty from all the chimneys and factories that would be pumping out smog during this period.

I also like the lighting you have coming off camera from the street on the left in the second concept, contrasted against the darker mid-ground building, it adds another layer of depth.

The sky in the third is nice too, very gloomy and imposing, I like the foreground elements in the first and second too, that foreground piece in the first one pushes your eye into the canvas which is good.

Thanks much Drewsen! You're really touching on all the aspects I was trying to push in each thumb. Good to see those ideas translated alright
 
  01 January 2015
Looks fantastic all 3 of them, but my personal favorite is the last one.
 
  01 January 2015
Awesome sketches Dylan. You have a good hand
__________________
BBB - www.borjabeltran.com
 
  01 January 2015
Really nice WIPs Dylan, I like the foreground pole jutting out from the side of the building in the first one. Creates a really nice directional element in the composition.
__________________
www.hemalpatelart.com
Facebook
 
  01 January 2015
Your compositions are very good, but I prefer the 2nd by color...
 
  01 January 2015
@ tntb: Thanks much! That's what I'll move forward with

@ bbbx: I appreciate it!

@ Hemal: Thanks Hemal. I was liking that idea too. But Once I started adding in the right-side elements I'm not sure that the scaling is going to work the way I had hoped. Would you agree after seeing this update? I think I'd have to make that object REALLY foreground for the scaling to work properly.

@ Thanks so much Nicolas.

So I blocked in the rest of the assets for the final shot and, after re-watching a few episodes of Peaky Blinders, added a new color grade. I think I like the direction it's headed. I'm not completely sold on the bottom right handrail thing. I might remove that element and consider what others are doing with carts/barrels/crates/etc. Or maybe extend the street out the bottom right frame and toss in a new lamp post. Thoughts? Lots of work ahead with new window treatments, signs, lighting on the tower bridge and other structures, atmosphere, painting out the cafe tables/people, etc. Excited to see where this one goes



Everyone else seems to be crushing it. Love all these updates!

Last edited by DylanPierpont : 01 January 2015 at 08:28 AM.
 
reply share thread



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
CGSociety
Society of Digital Artists
www.cgsociety.org

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2006,
Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Minimize Ads
Forum Jump
Miscellaneous

All times are GMT. The time now is 02:15 AM.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.